What is your favorite form of activity?

Options
misterhub
misterhub Posts: 6,316 Member
I realize that not everyone does any form of exercise/activity; but, if you do, what is your favorite way of getting in your activity?

Because of previous athletic injuries, I mostly just walk. Plus, I do yoga.

Replies

• myallforjc
    myallforjc Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Can't run or hike anymore due to back and knee issues. Trying to restart walking without aggravating the knee while I await injections. Tried using my old trekking poles which help. I am also doing mat work to develop a stronger back and core.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    Over five years ago When I started at 376 I tried some gym aerobics but knees and ankles couldn’t do it.

I began aqua aerobics and loved it. Good group of friends and pool has various times and different instructors for classes seven days a week. I go several days every week.

Three years ago I added swimming laps for 1/4 or 1/2 mile. Still swim a few days a week.

Walk the dog.

I had two Tai Chi lessons and tried Chair Yoga. Good to try new things.
  • misterhub
    Options
    I am a very good swimmer, and I enjoy it. An out-of-shape swimmer, but my technique is excellent.

Maybe I should find a swimming program. That is an excellent thought.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Pickball.
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 6,027 Member
    Options
    walking and Tai Chi for me.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    The one I do most consistently is walking. I am in the process of moving (!) and though I almost hate to say it, the suburban neighborhood streets lend themselves well to taking off right from the new house and getting several miles in before most people are even up and about. I've definitely picked up my walking while there (very much in transition now).
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Biking, hiking, weight training, and some swimming.

Running hasn't happened since April when my left knee got aggravated (had surgery for a cartilage defect back in 2003). Haven't walked much on the treadmill either since then as that also seems to aggravate my knee.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 3,023 Member
    Options
    I like to run best, but I've been a slacker and haven't run for a number of months (probably 6+ months). I stopped when it got cold and icy outside and never got back to it this year!

I have been walking on the treadmill in the mornings, and sometimes doing the Stairmaster. I like to walk around town on the weekend.
  • savignr
    savignr Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Used to be a runner, but two calf tears in six months put an end to that. Now I am a (mostly) daily walker, letting the big beast set the pace on the way out (much better cardio), and me on the way back (strength training, pulling her along).
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I guess I'd say walking, but it doesn't take much to derail that. With my shoulder problems over the last few months, I don't go to the gym, for the treadmill, when in a lot of pain. And once out of the habit...pfffftt.
  • nickrenz
    nickrenz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Running is my favorite activity. I've had to slow down lately as I deal with sciatica. But, I'm rallying for a comeback in the near future.
  • misterhub
    Options
    I appreciate everyone's responses. New ideas. Affirmation of old ideas.