Living The Lifestyle, Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Options
88olds
88olds Posts: 4,489 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate, and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for July are:

Monday - whathapnd (Emmie)
Tuesday - 88olds (George)
Wednesday -Imastar2 (Derrick)
Thursday - savignr (Bob)
Friday -Al_Howard

Today's Topic: Whining.

How do you cope with weight loss burn out? Or doesn’t it happen to you? If so, how do you avoid it? Just seems like some days the weight loss glass is only half full at best, maybe empty. Will we feel better is we knock back a large pizza? That used to work. Do you know what time Dominos opens?

Bonus: What do you do when get that song stuck in your head that won’t go away? What do you do when the song is Beach Baby?

Replies

• cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 6,027 Member
    Options
    So I try to avoid public whining ( there is too much of it my WW meeting), notice I did say public whining inside my head does go on. When I am thinking clearly, I recognize it as negative self talk and can quickly get myself out of it, on the other hand the occasional lets make myself feel better with food) kind of thinking does happen sometimes. Fortunatly its not a constant for me.

Bonus question: Thanks for loading my head up with that sound!!!
  • 88olds
    Options
    I hurt my foot. Nothing broken. A new level of plantar fasciitis. But now the injury has moved to my head. I don’t really want pizza but I know DW has cookies stashed in the cabinet.

A cookie will do nothing, zero, nada to help my foot. But will it help my head? That’s a no too. This just seems to be some ancient neural pathway light up.

Just gotta wait for my podiatrist appointment Friday. Guess I’ll go hang out at the Pickleball courts but not wear tennis shoes. That will get me out without doing more damage.

Bonus: This being Key West they play Beach Baby on the radio a lot. Can’t get away from it here.
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I'm a silent whiner. It all happens in my head, but it can get stuck on repeat like that song that won't go away. For me, this is related to my question yesterday about knowing when I need to take a little break from "dieting." I hadn't thought about the mental whining being part of my symptoms, but I suspect it is and will be on the lookout for it.

Bonus Question: I'm sorry to inform you that when the song stuck in your head is Beach Baby, it will be there from July to the end of September.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    After five years of trying to lose weight every week. After I made GW and Lifetime in March . and May I have been on Maintenance
    Now I keep thinking about eating all those things I gave up or greatly reduced in frequency or quantity. I know what would happen if I go back to old bad habits.
    I think it is Burn Out but so far I have not gained over GW.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    >How do you cope with weight loss burn out?

I try to be mindful and remind myself that this is today and I'll feel different tomorrow, or the next day, or (especially) the next WI day. I've been reminding myself to splurge only for splurge-worth foods.

On a related note, the mini scones a vendor left for us in the office lunchroom are calling to me, but I'm telling them to eff off. Not worth it.
  • 88olds
    Options
    @whathapnd bonus lol. Really.

• imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,039 Member
    Options
    Whinning!! Doesn't really help but admittedly for the most part I whine to DW. Doesn't really help to send it her way because it's like bouncing a ball off the wall if just comes back to you. When I escape and eat things I shouldn't it's all running around in my head.

Hard to keep a good song during this time of the year or pd you're head. My body just doesn't fit the beach at this time but that doesn't mean I can't keep working at it.

SW 400.8
    CW 342.0
    Next GW 300.0
    Final GW 185.0

58 8 lbs Total lost
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Though I never thought of myself as as a "glass half full" guy, maybe I am. Or maybe I'm lucky / fortunate to be appreciative almost every day of what I can do and how I feel having lost 80 pounds. For me, life is better in a smaller body (even on my worst day) and I remind myself of that every day. I accept the fact that this is about choices and trade-offs. No one is forcing me to make the current choices just as no one forced me to make my past choices. The difference is my current choices are much healthier for me, regardless of the number on the scale. Some days I'm more engaged than others but in the aggregate, I'd rather be down 75-80 pounds and healthier compared to my previous bulk and its associated impacts. One day at a time has been working since day one even though not every day is perfect.

Bonus: Sing yourself out, George!
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,316 Member
    Options
    I am responsible for my decisions and actions. So, if I get whiny, I have to look at what has weakened my motivation.
  • myallforjc
    myallforjc Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I agree with Brian. I think you have to mindful, take a breath and let today be today. In most cases, it is usually something else going on. Lately, I have been trying to remind myself why I am doing this and what my good health dream is.