Is something wrong?

Options
inkedupgurl
inkedupgurl Posts: 18 Member
I’m almost a month on keto. My first couple days I lost each day, it was motivating and exciting. I tried to kinda free-for-all in the beginning, but within keto guidelines, and I started gaining the weight back. So I researched a little further and started using this app again to track. I found a keto calculator to figure out my macros, I used three different keto calculators and all three gave me completely different numbers. I thought I would try the one with the least amount of carbs first, thinking I would lose more weight with less carbs. It was not sustainable. So I recalculated, and tried different numbers. But I kept going over my calories every day, or tanking on my carbs, so I used a different calculator, I got a higher calorie amount, based on a lower deficit, and have not only gained weight on those numbers, but I’m still going over my calories. I went over my calories today by 350. But I still have 4 g of carbs left and went over my protein by 60 g. I feel like I have a tapeworm, without the benefits of being skinny. Maybe I have Candida? I am on a couple different meds, maybe they’re keeping me fat? Maybe I need to not eat any treats? Maybe I need laxatives? Do I Need to be exercising? I hate exercising. I can’t freaking figure out the balance, or the perfect formula. I’ve bought six keto books, I bought some extensive keto course from primal kitchen, have only been eating keto foods, not one cheat off the food list, I can’t freaking figure out the balance, or the perfect formula. I’m not losing any weight in the end. Could I be super insulin resistant? Am I just supposed to be fat, maybe? I don’t want to give up, but it seems after reading a lot of other people’s comments, people are losing a ridiculous amount of weight in one month, not this girl......what to do? i’m at a loss. And feel incredibly defeated :( Any help would be incredibly appreciated, pretty please with avocado on top..🥑

Replies

• skctilidie
    skctilidie Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Calories in vs. out still definitely matters - it doesn't matter how strictly you stick to keto-friendly foods, if you're not burning more calories than you're eating, you won't lose weight beyond perhaps some water weight at first. If you're gaining, you're going to need to either eat fewer calories or burn more of them with activity. Keto works well for a lot of people because keto foods tend to keep them feeling more full which naturally makes it hard to eat more calories than they need, but that's not necessarily the case for everyone and it's not a magic solution.

Are you weighing/measuring and logging every bite/drink that you consume?
    How much do you have to lose and how aggressive are you setting your goals (i.e. 1 pound a week, 2 pounds a week, etc.)? What sort of calorie goal is that giving you?
  • inkedupgurl
    Options
    skctilidie wrote: »
    Calories in vs. out still definitely matters - it doesn't matter how strictly you stick to keto-friendly foods, if you're not burning more calories than you're eating, you won't lose weight beyond perhaps some water weight at first. If you're gaining, you're going to need to either eat fewer calories or burn more of them with activity. Keto works well for a lot of people because keto foods tend to keep them feeling more full which naturally makes it hard to eat more calories than they need, but that's not necessarily the case for everyone and it's not a magic solution.

How much do you have to lose and how aggressive are you setting your goals (i.e. 1 pound a week, 2 pounds a week, etc.)? What sort of calorie goal is that giving you?

Thank you for that :-) such a good reminder…

I was on an eating plan prior to this where I did not have to exercise and I lost and maintained large amounts of weight for very long periods of time, but after almost 10 years of doing it on and off, I became exhausted by the food plan, by the rules and restrictions and felt like I needed to switch it up and rearrange my thinking around food. I need to just get outside and start walking… I was so spoiled by losing weight and keeping it off without exercise. But if I’m going to give up that way of eating, I need to give up that way of thinking as well...

I am weighing and measuring 95%. It doesn’t make a difference, I’m still eating more than any of the calculators have suggested. I have about 40 or 45 pounds to lose to be comfortable and back into a majority of my closet. There are a lot of women my height who weigh a lot less than my goal, but I have size 11 feet, and I start to look sickly (friends stage interventions) when I’m below 150 pounds. I have set my goals at 1 pound of loss a week, 2 pounds of loss week, and one calculator set me at 7.5 pounds a month. I have tried a more aggressive/restricting approach, and I have tried a higher calorie count than I am comfortable with, based on a 30% deficit, and so far nothing seems to be working consistently. The first keto calculator set me at 1213 cal, the one I am eating now is 1457 cal. But like I said, I am going above and beyond the calories.

I’m thinking it’s my food choices? I seem to be spending a lot of my allowance on things that are not satisfying. Example: 2 tablespoons of heavy cream in my coffee, @ 100 cal versus 4 tablespoons of Better Half, unsweetened coconut cream @ 15 cal..And then saving those calories for actual food with sustenance, i.e. avocado, peanuts, steak etc.

A couple of things I think I’m going to research, seeing my endocrinologist and having my thyroid tested again. It has been a few years and I have been on a static dose, with weight gain and weight loss, this time the weight/wait seems very stubborn, it might be time to get levels tested again. I read on dietdoctor.com to investigate all meds, and look for hidden weight gain/increased appetite side effects… I have been on my med regime for close to 5 years and have lost 30 to 60 pounds at least four times in the last five years. My weight fluctuates between 150 and 220 pounds at the drop of a hat.

I really appreciate you responding and reaching back to my call for help :-) it’s more important than I am able to express in words :-) if you make suggestions or have had experience in this, I will implement your ideas, I am incredibly open to figuring this out…

Thank you again!

• Re_Banana
    Re_Banana Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you have tried this one already, but here is the calculator I use
    https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com
    Set activity level to sedentary with 20% deficit

You mentioned you've tanked on the carbs a couple of times and increased your carbs to keep it sustainable. Are you maybe kicking yourself out of ketosis by eating too many carbs? If you're too high on carbs it might explain your appetite as well. Maybe try sticking to 20 net carbs per day for a while and see if anything changes. Hope this helps ❤
  • inkedupgurl
    Options
    Hi, thank you,🙏🏻 I just set my macros with that calculator and plugged them into MFP. I’m going to do IF until 1 PM and consume all my calories by 7 PM. I’m thinking I need to catch up on elimination. 💩

Yes, I am certain I have kicked myself out of ketosis by consuming too many carbs or too much protein. Today I will start a new vigilance!

When I have days like yesterday, I end up blowing the wad. I figure I’m already so outside the balance, what does it matter… The good news is today’s a new day :-)

Thanks for your support and suggestions, I really appreciate it❤️

• skctilidie
    skctilidie Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

I was on an eating plan prior to this where I did not have to exercise and I lost and maintained large amounts of weight for very long periods of time, but after almost 10 years of doing it on and off, I became exhausted by the food plan, by the rules and restrictions and felt like I needed to switch it up and rearrange my thinking around food. I need to just get outside and start walking… I was so spoiled by losing weight and keeping it off without exercise. But if I’m going to give up that way of eating, I need to give up that way of thinking as well...

I am weighing and measuring 95%. It doesn’t make a difference, I’m still eating more than any of the calculators have suggested. I have about 40 or 45 pounds to lose to be comfortable and back into a majority of my closet. There are a lot of women my height who weigh a lot less than my goal, but I have size 11 feet, and I start to look sickly (friends stage interventions) when I’m below 150 pounds. I have set my goals at 1 pound of loss a week, 2 pounds of loss week, and one calculator set me at 7.5 pounds a month. I have tried a more aggressive/restricting approach, and I have tried a higher calorie count than I am comfortable with, based on a 30% deficit, and so far nothing seems to be working consistently. The first keto calculator set me at 1213 cal, the one I am eating now is 1457 cal. But like I said, I am going above and beyond the calories.

I’m thinking it’s my food choices? I seem to be spending a lot of my allowance on things that are not satisfying. Example: 2 tablespoons of heavy cream in my coffee, @ 100 cal versus 4 tablespoons of Better Half, unsweetened coconut cream @ 15 cal..And then saving those calories for actual food with sustenance, i.e. avocado, peanuts, steak etc.

A couple of things I think I’m going to research, seeing my endocrinologist and having my thyroid tested again. It has been a few years and I have been on a static dose, with weight gain and weight loss, this time the weight/wait seems very stubborn, it might be time to get levels tested again. I read on dietdoctor.com to investigate all meds, and look for hidden weight gain/increased appetite side effects… I have been on my med regime for close to 5 years and have lost 30 to 60 pounds at least four times in the last five years. My weight fluctuates between 150 and 220 pounds at the drop of a hat.

I really appreciate you responding and reaching back to my call for help :-) it’s more important than I am able to express in words :-) if you make suggestions or have had experience in this, I will implement your ideas, I am incredibly open to figuring this out…

Thank you again!

Thank you again!

I’ve lost right at 25 in the last 3 months, but I still have 35-40 left to lose (which also still puts me overweight on the charts, but was a great size for me last time I was there) so it sounds like we’re probably in pretty similar spots. I’m a little under 5’4, aiming for 145-150, currently about 185 and this is what my goals are set to:

uni2gxp42nox.jpeg

I almost always end up with calories left over, but I do try to stick mainly with calories that are filling/satisfying. I’ll use a tablespoon of cream in a sauce to put over veggies, etc. but worry more about getting a minimum of 60-80 grams of protein into my day than I do about adding fats. You’re welcome to send a friend request if you’d like to see my daily diary - I’m back on track the last few days after a couple of weeks off of logging regularly, etc., but I have 8 or 9 weeks worth of completed diaries that are open for my friends to look through.

With known thyroid issues in the mix, I’d also look into following up with the endocrinologist and labs. I thankfully haven’t had to deal with that part of the equation.
  • Kerschel
    Kerschel Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm new to keto too Inkedupgirl and it is becoming a full time job learning everything. My weightloss at first was abysmal. I lost two then gained 4. Well! Not impressed. Even now, after 6 weeks, only 4-5 lbs down, but that is better than nothing. I did a blood check today and I'm 1.0 mml ketosis, so I am doing it right. Some bodies take some time to shed the lbs is all. I find, nothing will move for a week, then I'll be down two and holding. Don't lose heart. Most of the weight loss at the start is water, not fat. It takes a few weeks to get into a fat burning state. Or so I've heard. "-)
  • inkedupgurl
    Options
    I would love to add you as a friend, but I have no idea how to do that.

Today is my very first day of intermittent fasting, and eating between 1 PM and 7 PM, I have 20 carbs left for the day, I went over my fat by 16 g, I have 20 g of protein still not consumed, with that set at 93 for the day and I have 16 cal left after using the Keto calculator mentioned above! I am in complete awe…I asked for help, somebody said to do something, I did it, And voilà, it worked. !!!!!!!! Yay, MFP Community!!!!💋❤️
  • inkedupgurl
    Options
    Kerschel wrote: »
    I'm new to keto too Inkedupgirl and it is becoming a full time job learning everything. My weightloss at first was abysmal. I lost two then gained 4. Well! Not impressed. Even now, after 6 weeks, only 4-5 lbs down, but that is better than nothing. I did a blood check today and I'm 1.0 mml ketosis, so I am doing it right. Some bodies take some time to shed the lbs is all. I find, nothing will move for a week, then I'll be down two and holding. Don't lose heart. Most of the weight loss at the start is water, not fat. It takes a few weeks to get into a fat burning state. Or so I've heard. "-)

I know exactly what you mean, my entire day existed of watching keto videos on YouTube, researching electrolytes, hosing off my patio, weighing and measuring food, writing out a grocery list of all keto foods that I learned about in YouTube videos, and ordering keto things off of Amazon. It truly is a full-time job, I am looking forward to it being the default.

I would add you as a friend, but I don’t know how to do that. So add me and I will accept! :-) thank you for your words of encouragement and for your fortitude :-)!!!

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I would love to add you as a friend, but I have no idea how to do that.

Today is my very first day of intermittent fasting, and eating between 1 PM and 7 PM, I have 20 carbs left for the day, I went over my fat by 16 g, I have 20 g of protein still not consumed, with that set at 93 for the day and I have 16 cal left after using the Keto calculator mentioned above! I am in complete awe…I asked for help, somebody said to do something, I did it, And voilà, it worked. !!!!!!!! Yay, MFP Community!!!!💋❤️

It sounds like you may be adding too much fat to me. You must be drinking fatty coffee or eating fat bombs or something similar.
    Eliminate those and you’ll have a much easier time staying in a calorie deficit.
    Meat comes with fat. Cook with normal amounts of healthy fats and you never have to add fat while you’re trying to lose weight.
    Adding fat to already high fat foods is a weight maintenance/gain thing.
  • Kerschel
    Kerschel Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    my friend, my massage therapist and general all round guru, inspired me to try keto. She said not to stress it too much, but to get enough protein (at minimum 50g) and plenty of fat (have no fat fear, but don't be an idiot) and keep the carbs low. I grant you that my weight loss has been slow compared to many, but the eating plan is easy and pretty yummy. And I'm not missing carbs (except peaches are in season! ) But I love to cook. I also love wine
    ;-(
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Kerschel wrote: »
    my friend, my massage therapist and general all round guru, inspired me to try keto. She said not to stress it too much, but to get enough protein (at minimum 50g) and plenty of fat (have no fat fear, but don't be an idiot) and keep the carbs low. I grant you that my weight loss has been slow compared to many, but the eating plan is easy and pretty yummy. And I'm not missing carbs (except peaches are in season! ) But I love to cook. I also love wine
    ;-(

I think I might like your friend. Unless someone is eating ketogenic for a medical reason there is far too much emphasis placed on minutiae. Keep carbs low, hover around the calorie deficit, keep sodium up if eating very low carb, don't cheat and expect to win at the weight loss/fat loss game and don't quit.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Yep. It comes down to a calorie deficit. Keto just hopefully makes it easier to hit that deficit.