LTL Thursday July 12

Options
savignr
savignr Posts: 711 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate, and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for July are:

Monday - whathapnd (Emmie)
Tuesday - 88olds (George)
Wednesday -Imastar2 (Derrick)
Thursday - savignr (Bob)
Friday -Al_Howard

Today's topic: Tips, tricks, and cheats. What are some of your self-help tips, tricks, and cheats that you have used on your weight loss journey? Do you have a pre-weigh in routine? Were any of your tips, etc. more successful than others?

Bonus Question: As of July 31, my position at work has been eliminated, which obviously has me thinking about another job. What would your fantasy job be?

Replies

• savignr
    savignr Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I had a couple tips that helped me early on. First, I bought, and used religiously, the WW pre-sized serving spoons. That made it much simpler to get portions under control. I also stopped putting serving dishes on the dining table; that way, if you wanted seconds, you had to get up and walk into the kitchen to get them. DW and kids were not that thrilled about this one. It seems to be common knowledge that you should try to eat slower, which is difficult for me, being one of five kids. Two tries at this, both miserable failures. The magic 32 chews per bite just did not cut it. I also tried eating with my off-hand, again a failure. Don't try this with soup!

No particular weigh-in routine for me. I weigh at home when I first get up, just underwear on.

Job: I wanted to be a dirty limerick writer for "What Day Is It", but got turned down. So I have fallen back to my original goal, playing third base for the Yankees. I was extremely disappointed when they did not call after Clete Boyer left.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Weighing and measuring my food whenever possible was eye opening. Before the religious use of a food scale, I likely was using 4T of almond butter instead of 2T on my sandwiches. As for weigh-in, I wear the same clothing and I go before I eat breakfast. In other words, I weigh under the same conditions each time.

Bonus: I really wish I had a clear idea of what my fantasy job would be as there is a lot of uncertainty over the coming year with my current job. I'm too far away from Medicare to just wing it.
  • myallforjc
    myallforjc Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I don't think there was anything magic beyond the WW basics of daily tracking, weighing & measuring and portion control. Combine that with intentionally focusing on living a sustainable healthy lifestyle seem to lead to success.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    I weighed in EVERY week with WW, no matter what. I learned that small losses add up but only if I didn’t quit. First two years were losses with -100 but year three was -16# but I did not gain.

All my other WLJs were gaining back plus more. My goal was to keep off the -100.

Years four/five I got on Smart Points and really tried to lose a pound a week for 52 weeks. Lost 37/43 and kept going.

Now at GW And Lifetime. (2013-2018)

Don’t quit!

• misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,316 Member
    Options
    I know it's old-fashioned because they don't exist any more, but: Focus on the GHGs, and everything else will fall into place. That's exactly what worked for me.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Tracking, Tracking, Tracking.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,039 Member
    Options
    Can't really think of any real tricks. I pretty much stick to the basics. Weigh every morning. Check in to Roll Call some time during the day. Read the LTL if I have time then track, track, track which has been lacking lately. That is partially responsible for my weight gain as of late. With me it's all a mind game. It's just a decision and to me I don't think it's much more than that.

I really believe I'm doing my dream job more.

SW 400.8
    CW 347.2
    Next GW 300.0
    Final GW 185.0

53.6 lbs Total lost
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    What are some of your self-help tips, tricks, and cheats that you have used on your weight loss journey? Do you have a pre-weigh in routine? Were any of your tips, etc. more successful than others?

Attitude and perception are everything to me. Despite the fact that up until I started WW, I'd been unable to commit to anything except looking for frequent eating and drinking opportunities, when I joined WW, something changed. Food became less of a priority in my daily living (or more, depending on how you look at it). It might come back to tracking--which has probably been my saving grace. When I have to make choices to stay within budget, it forces me to limit myself. I still track--in fact this week I tracked in the negative numbers--but I still tracked. Weight management is one snack / meal, one day at a time for me. I choose to live my life now in a smaller body compared to when I started. I don't say 'never' or 'forever'; I just choose to do it one more day. So far, so good...

Bonus Question: As of July 31, my position at work has been eliminated, which obviously has me thinking about another job. What would your fantasy job be?

Sorry about your circumstances, @savignr . My dream job would be a National Geographic photographer, but I'm sure it's harder and more challenging than I imagine.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,106 Member
    Options
    I do weigh foods when in doubt. wear same bike clothes weighing outfit and bike to WW.
  • linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    The tip that comes to mind is to pay attention to the food you eat. Really taste it, evaluate it. I learned that a lot of what I ate was just meh, including a lot of indulgences. When I really paid attention, I realized I didn't enjoy them that much, if at all, so why bother eating them. This has saved me a ton of calories!