Overwhelmed....and frustrated

Options
acurlynurse
acurlynurse Posts: 4 Member
Started LC again about 3 weeks ago. Doctor recommended and my insulin levels are thru the roof.
I just feel overwhelmed with the amount of information out there about low carb. Kind of don't know where to start. I would just like to keep iy very simple and easy to follow. I am trying to keep my carbs under 20 per day. I do drink to vodka and seltzer Waters every night.
I have not lost a pound with this WOE....
Any simple week meal plans would be so appreciated....
Thanks for listening

Replies

• susannagoddard
    susannagoddard Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello , I have been following Keto for just over a week and lost 6.5 lbs which will be mainly water. I am tracking everything on here so that I play with the meal plans in order to get my carbs to below 20 most days or max 30 . I am eating a lot of extra thick cream with yoghurt and I have made up a seed batch and nut batch ( 4 types of nuts ) so that they are ready to go. I put all the nuts into the food processor and have a huge box now ! I am eating fish and tend to get reduced fish so its cheaper. I am drinking water as well before most meals and I have found I am not hungry. I plan my meals in advance which also seems to help so I can experiment with the carbs and getting them right . I am happy to have a buddy if that would help

• Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Welcome.

A few tips to make things seem less overwhelming. Get rid of foods with higher carbs from your house if you can and only have low carb options available...so when you're hungry you can just eat. Consider net carbs...it might work for you. That essentially means subtract fiber carbs from total carbs(ie. If total is 10gm but 5gm are fiber then that food counts as 5gm). This will give you a bit more freedom/variety in terms of food choices.

Second, consider abstaining from the vodka if you're wanting to lose weight. It will slow things down as alcohol in the bloodstream is always used before fat as an energy source so you're sabotaging yourself. If you can't give up that drink then go for a walk after or do some exercise to burn through it quickly.

As for a simple meal plan..mine is pretty simple...other than dinner I eat the same foods daily.

Breakfast: Protein shake + greens and 2 eggs and vitamins.
    Snack: 1/3 cup of peanuts.
    Lunch: Cocktail weenies with sliced peppers.
    Snack: Quest bar or Kirkland Protein bar.
    Snack: 2/3 cup of dry roasted peanuts.
    Snack: Pepperettes.
    Dinner: meat plus salad/veggies(rotate chicken, pork, beef). Riced cauliflour for stir fries.
    Snack: beef jerkey.

I aim for 60gm net carbs / day...so if you're at 20, take out the bars/shakes I have and put in things like bacon, kolbassa, green veg.

Good luck!
  • HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I have a drink every night, too, good Irish whiskey. It’s probably slowing things down, but I can only give up so much at once. Since I have a lifemate and 2 teens who can eat whatever they want, I’ve created a space for my foods. One shelf in the pantry and a drawer in the refrigerator. It helps keep me on track.
  • HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Started LC again about 3 weeks ago. Doctor recommended and my insulin levels are thru the roof.
    I just feel overwhelmed with the amount of information out there about low carb. Kind of don't know where to start. I would just like to keep iy very simple and easy to follow. I am trying to keep my carbs under 20 per day. I do drink to vodka and seltzer Waters every night.
    Thanks for listening

I look at successful eater’s diaries and one thing I see often is they have a set of foods they repeat, like a repertoire. Maybe you could put together a day of food that fits your plan and eat just that for a couple of weeks to get rolling.
    It might be boring, but your life is more important than variety.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Thanks for listening

I look at successful eater’s diaries and one thing I see often is they have a set of foods they repeat, like a repertoire. Maybe you could put together a day of food that fits your plan and eat just that for a couple of weeks to get rolling.

I'll attribute my comparative ease in maintenance the last couple of years to having what some would consider a very boring/repetitious breakfast/lunch selections. Changing my thinking from food as entertainment to food as nutrition and fuel has been helpful. My current intake for the last few months has been eggs in many fashions, plain Greek yogurt with maybe some berries/unsweetened shredded coconut, cottage cheese, a lettuce wrap or dinner leftovers.
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Thanks for listening

Have a look a the diet doctor website, they do two week plans of keto foods and the recipes are both simple and good.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Thanks for listening

I'll attribute my comparative ease in maintenance the last couple of years to having what some would consider a very boring/repetitious breakfast/lunch selections. Changing my thinking from food as entertainment to food as nutrition and fuel has been helpful. My current intake for the last few months has been eggs in many fashions, plain Greek yogurt with maybe some berries/unsweetened shredded coconut, cottage cheese, a lettuce wrap or dinner leftovers.

I don't eat variety because why would I want something else when turkey jerky and protein shakes are my favorite foods. It feels more like an indulgence to me. :)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Options
    PaulaKro wrote: »
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Thanks for listening

I don't eat variety because why would I want something else when turkey jerky and protein shakes are my favorite foods. It feels more like an indulgence to me. :)

Yeah, eating the same foods daily, as long as they are what I like, is perfectly fine for me, too. Plus, it's easy logging. I want whatever it is to taste good and satisfy. As long as it fits that, even if it's the same ol' thing, I'm fine. It's just food. My day is not ruined because food. It's fuel. Tasting good is just a bonus. I ain't got time to obsess over it. My life is too full. Compared with how I was 4 years, that's a huge deal. And it served me well in getting to a healthy weight.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Thanks for listening

Friend me, and you can see my diary. Be warned it is very boring, and I have been on a carnivore trend for a few weeks.

I am T2D. and I have lost weight and gotten my glucose numbers under control. My last A1C was 5.6, and I have been off diabetes meds since January. I keep my carb grams under 20. I have averaged a pound a week lost since I started this way o' eating. Some weeks were more. Lots were less, and there are plateaus. It is nice to have some encouraging data from the glucose meter or a tape measure.

Are you tracking glucose to see how that responds to what you are eating? When I started the low carb, the numbers on the meter dropped significantly, and that gave me a lot of encouragement.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    My personality type is rule follower, to be honest, so I got to my weight loss goal on 20 net carbs a day because that’s what some blogs I read suggested. Now that I’m there, I realize calories and satiety/lack of cravings is more important to me than being that strictly LC. I recommend finding what foods that you like that fit within your desired macros, including that vodka! Agree that repetition can make life much easier, too!
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Thanks for listening

Have a look a the diet doctor website, they do two week plans of keto foods and the recipes are both simple and good.

This. Great resource that has everything you need.
  • inkedupgurl
    inkedupgurl Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    As mentioned by a few, I am also following the Keto lifestyle and I absolutely love it!

I think the best way to keep it simple would be meat, veggies, healthy fats (avo) and nuts, and a little bit of fruit, mainly berries.

My first choice is anything that grows out of the ground or on a tree vs. processed foods like chips and packaged treats.

I’ve bought one book and have been slowly reading it and slowly incorporating a little more keto & a little less not keto, every day. Today is day four of sticking to my macros 100%. Although I have been doing keto for a month, it’s only in the past four days that I have stuck to my committed numbers. (25g carbs, 93g protein, 113g fat, 1332-1432 cal)

Good luck to you, this is a long journey, so don’t sweat the small stuff💋

• AKTipsyCat
    AKTipsyCat Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of the shakes / protein bars, etc. It was a slippery slope for me. So I stick to real (non processed) food. When I first started I literally had a list of low carb/ whole 30(ish) foods that were allowable and had them posted on the fridge. Once a week I would create my menu with the help of google and that list - lol. Breakfast is usually samish some variation on eggs / sausage, lunch is leftovers... and I get to play with dinner, I really enjoy trying new foods and recipes - so it's been fun trying at least one new recipe a week to keep me motivated and involved.