Oh NO. :-( Help, please!

Options
I have been so thrilled with the keto diet...but just got blood work back and my cholesterol is through the roof!! It's up to 336 and was 207 last year (when I was 15 lbs lighter.) LDL is up to 205 from 118 from last year.

I am going to miss the fat! I am afraid to add back carbs. Any suggestions for a low carb diet that's lower in fat? The thing I like most about keto is the satiety and am worried all my cravings will come back.

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing Keto? It is very common for Cholesterol numbers to increase, sometimes even dramatically, when first starting out. It can take about 6 months if not more for them to normalize again.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    Options
    Also, what were all of your numbers? HDL/LDL/Trig
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing Keto? It is very common for Cholesterol numbers to increase, sometimes even dramatically, when first starting out. It can take about 6 months if not more for them to normalize again.

6 months. Total was 336, and LDL and LDL was 205, so assuming that means the other one was 131.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Deleting this--it was 2017 numbers. :-( I'll call to get my 2018 HDL
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I'm confused, where does it say your total is 336? Is this your test from before?

Nevermind, I see it's the old test.

That said, yes, that number is high, but so is your HDL, the good cholesterol. And your ratio is only 2.5 which is excellant. If it were me, I wouldn't stress, and would give it another 6 months to see if it comes down.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    That's true, cholesterol is often worse when losing weight and for months afterwards.

Your HDL is probably great. I bet triglycerides were good too. And with your LDL, do you know particle size? Size matters. ;)

You might be a hyperresponder but that isn't a bad thing. Dave Feldman has done a LOT of experimenting with fat and cholesterol. He's discovered that it is almost universal that if you eat excess fat (and calories) within a few days your cholesterol will drop. Fast or eat carbs and it generally goes up.

Basically, eating fat does not raise cholesterol, or if it does it is not in a bad way.

Here's some of his research. Really interesting. You could try experimenting.

http://cholesterolcode.com/

http://cholesterolcode.com/about/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LuKwsz9Woc
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,690 Member
    Options
    @Running_and_Coffee
    Can you keep fats if you use ones that increase HDL to reduce LDL?
    • Soy/almond/nut versions of cheese/milk/sourcream etc.
    • Fish/poultry/nuts/soy instead of red meat protein
    • Cook with "lite" (for flavorless) or regular olive oil - (adding salt tastes buttery)
    • EggBeaters (or any egg-white-based brand) instead of whole eggs
    • Avocados, nuts, seed snacks/toppings
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Options
    PaulaKro wrote: »
    @Running_and_Coffee
    Can you keep fats if you use ones that increase HDL to reduce LDL?
    • Soy/almond/nut versions of cheese/milk/sourcream etc.
    • Fish/poultry/nuts/soy instead of red meat protein
    • Cook with "lite" (for flavorless) or regular olive oil - (adding salt tastes buttery)
    • EggBeaters (or any egg-white-based brand) instead of whole eggs
    • Avocados, nuts, seed snacks/toppings
    Thanks!
    This is what I am going to do! Spent a lot of time thinking about it, reading on HDL/LDL and talking on the phone last night with a physician in my family. I will switch to non dairy or eat low fat dairy like egg whites, and focus on non animal fats and stay with fish and lean chicken. It might bring my carbs up slightly because nuts have more carbs, but I’m actually in maintenance and am OK with that. Just hopeful not eating whole grains won’t be an issue.
  • samcorvus
    samcorvus Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that LDL and HDL are lipoproteins. So fats that are being mobilized in the body through the blood stream. One of the effects of fat metabolizing is that the body then has to move that fat to the liver for processing into ketone substrates and glycerol's.

Of course that works in reverse too; your body can store those lipoproteins in your adipose as readily as it burns it if insulin and other hormones are present. High cholesterol counts are indicative of CVD and CHD but are also indicative of energy imbalances leading to reduced adiposity. You have to look at the whole picture of health rather than focus on an arbitrary number on a graph of a single blood work exam.

I second what the other's said. Your ratio seems to be good but without the rest of the numbers it is difficult to give a more accurate picture. Also keep in mind that the medical establishment tends to run about fifty years behind the research. One of the reasons we continue to see so much emphasis on the reduction of animal sources of protein and saturated fats despite zero scientifically rigorous medical evidence supporting their removal from the human diet.
  • rnjenny8599
    rnjenny8599 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Your results are close to mine. i swiched out my fats-more fish etc, and will gets new results in afew weeks. but im sticking.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    LDL doesn’t come from dietary fat according to Dave Feldman. It’s a lipoprotein transport system and it comes from stored body fat. So it being higher is a sign you are mobilizing body fat from storage.
    Wait til you are weight stable for 6 months before worrying about it and honestly, even then only HDL and Trigs have any actual correlation to any disease. Additionally, rather than hypothesize about some arbitrary number being an indicator of disease, they could actually test you to find out if any calcification is actually present. CAC scan would answer that question.
  • HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    My doctor, who is part of a bariatric surgical team, told me not to worry and that it’s part of starting keto WOE. She also said the medical community is reevaluating things with cholesterol right now.