Meal Prep

Options
As someone who is in college full time year round, I need to be able to pop meals into the microwave that I have already prepped ahead of time. What are some healthy meals that do well with this tactic other than chicken and rice?

Replies

• libertygirlfla
    libertygirlfla Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I stir-fry broccoli slaw, a giant bag of kale, cabbage and some chopped red peppers in olive oil and then freeze it. It can be popped into the microwave with your protein of choice. You can pre-cook the meat and add it to the stir fry before freezing as well.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Pretty much anything can be meal prepped, you just have to put the time aside to do it.

I like to do some batch cooking on Sundays. I wash and cut up all of my veggies for the week. I hard boil eggs. I will sometimes make an egg bake for breakfast for the week. Grill meats to put on salads for lunch. Dinners can be easy too, it's really just about making a plan.

Are you the type of person who doesn't mind eating the same food every day? You could batch cook the same meal on Sundays and then just portion in to individual containers for the week. It's not really about a set recipe, pretty much anything will work.
  • kimberlymorning
    kimberlymorning Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    how is the best way to start meal prep? I have never done it and not sure how or where to start.
  • elinakreuz
    elinakreuz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I found this article to be really helpful when first starting out with some meal prep, https://www.buzzfeed.com/jesseszewczyk/tasty-make-ahead-meal-plan?utm_term=.qomOjKW5a#.hf5Vx7yoL
    I've also seen a lot of other meal plan menu's online and in different blogs. Just depends on finding foods you like that fit with your budget, diet, time etc.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I'm very happy with platejoy.com
    It makes planning so simple and prep is part of the planning
    The recipes are very clean eating oriented too
    I recommend getting a free trial
  • Andrea313
    Andrea313 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As someone who is in college full time year round, I need to be able to pop meals into the microwave that I have already prepped ahead of time. What are some healthy meals that do well with this tactic other than chicken and rice?

• lantana411
    lantana411 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I use a NuWave machine - daily. It's a domed machine that circulates air.
    It enables me to cook veggies in a dry plate and crisps up from the natural sugars (when I cook peppers and onions I get browned edges without spending oil calories). It works like a microwave - just cook for whatever number of minutes you guess will work (it comes with a cookbook that I've never used). When the machine beeps check it to see if you're satisfied with the doneness and cook it longer if it needs it, just like when you use a microwave.

I can cook frozen protein and get crispy skin (think chicken pieces) without drawing the moisture from the center, the way a microwave cooks. And while they tell you not to, I've heated food on paper plates in there for years. Just keep metal out of it, just like a microwave. I cook in the same containers I store food in and in the plates I'll serve the food in. So cleanup is easy and the food is tasty. THAT is good advice for college students and everyone else!
  • Tracie_Lord
    Tracie_Lord Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I make savoury muffins for work a lot, back in muffin trays (eggs, ham and veggies - like mini omlettes) and heat up in MW with extra tomatoes

Today I have brought 2 eggs and some chopped mushrooms. gonna make scrambled eggs in mw
  • DeserveVictory
    DeserveVictory Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My slow cooker was my best friend in college! I used to make 1-3 slow cooker meals each week and freeze the left overs in single meal containers (Glad or Rubbermaid containers). Eventually, I built up a good variety in my freezer and had lots soups, stews, curries, stirfrys, etc to choose from when I didn't have time to cook. I also used the slow cooker to prep beans and shredded chicken for fast salads, wraps, soups etc (Beans: https://kalynskitchen.com/how-to-cook-dried-beans-in-crockpot/ and Chicken: http://lovegrowswild.com/2015/03/slow-cooker-shredded-chicken/). I would start stocking up in freezer meals before the semester started and then when I had lots due or it was exam week, I didn't cook or grocery shop at all.

Do you use Pinterest? There are SO many slow cooker and meal prep ideas!