July 16 Weekly Challenge: One Small Word

Options
2»

Replies

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    MmamabearR wrote: »
    This so what I needed today. I have not been showing up here in quite some time. My job has kept me very busy and at home I'm very busy or just tired.

I've not been very motivated lately, but I really, really want to get back to the same spirit I had last year. When I realize how fortunate I am, my spirit is uplifted, and I feel so much better.

I get to go to work at a job that is indoors, away from this triple digit Texas heat. I get a drive an affordable, air conditioned car, too. I get to eat a meal three times a day. I get to skip a meal if my day gets too hectic, that's how luxurious my life is! I can forego food because there is something waiting for me when I do have have time.

I may not get to go on amazing vacations or drive a vehicle with the latest and greatest technology, but what I do have on a daily basis is far more than what a lot of people have, even here in the US. And for that, I am utterly grateful.

@MmamabearR, I was so excited to see your post. I’ve missed you! No, make that — we’ve missed you! But we can certainly understand your need tor step away for awhile. Welcome Back!

I really like your focus on uplifting your spirit. No matter what we have going on in our lives, ignoring self care and the core of what makes us happy makes every other aspect of our lives more difficult. Pausing each day to appreciate small and large gifts in our lives is both important and makes for a happier life.
  • themedalist
    Options
    My job is transitioning to a hybrid where I will have an office in two places with two different departments. Today was my first day with my new colleagues and they couldn’t have been more welcoming.

I don’t have to work with them. I get to work with them! I feel very fortunate!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,998 Member
    Options
    I get to take long walks in my neighborhood !
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    I get to make my breakfast (and other meals) just the way I like them.
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Perfect timing - I just got a book from the library today, Hardwiring Happiness by neuropsychologist Rick Hanson. It's about how our brains are hard-wired to focus on and learn quickly from negative experiences and not so much from the good ones: "It's an ancient survival mechanism that turned the brain into Velcro for the negative, but Teflon for the positive."

So I am definitely employing this easy word swap, while I am getting to read about the details of how I can "re-wire" my brain by how I choose to look at things.
  • MmamabearR
    MmamabearR Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    @MmamabearR, I was so excited to see your post. I’ve missed you! No, make that — we’ve missed you! But we can certainly understand your need tor step away for awhile. Welcome Back!

Thank you so much! That made me feel good. I will certainly try to make it back more often. This group is so amazing!
  • themedalist
    edited July 2018
    Options
    mxchana wrote: »
    Perfect timing - I just got a book from the library today, Hardwiring Happiness by neuropsychologist Rick Hanson. It's about how our brains are hard-wired to focus on and learn quickly from negative experiences and not so much from the good ones: "It's an ancient survival mechanism that turned the brain into Velcro for the negative, but Teflon for the positive."

So I am definitely employing this easy word swap, while I am getting to read about the details of how I can "re-wire" my brain by how I choose to look at things.

I’ve read this book and I am a big fan. Our tendencies to think positively or negatively about things become habits over time...well worn tire tracks in our brains for how we think about and react to things, both positively and negatively. Apparently it’s rooted in our evolution. Our prehistoric ancestors had to worry about tigers hiding behind bushes ready to pounce and that evolutionary predisposition to fear and worry is something we’ve inherited. But the good news is with practice we can change our negative thinking patterns and become more positive if we’re willing to put in the hard work, time, and effort that is needed.

Enjoy the book!
  • mmebouchon
    mmebouchon Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Newbie here. I am so grateful that I get to join such an inspirational group. I love the idea of using “get to” instead of have to. I get to work in my garden. I get to eat enjoy health food. I get to enjoy sleeping in a comfy bed every night. I get to spend time with family and friends. I get to work from home and learn new things every day.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I get to finish up some projects at work today!
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    MmamabearR wrote: »

Thank you so much! That made me feel good. I will certainly try to make it back more often. This group is so amazing!

@MmamabearR So nice to see you! I think we all have times that we get pulled away or need to just take a break. xoxo
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Nice to see you back here @MmamabearR . Great attitude and energy! Love it

I get to choose who I let in my life. I get to choose who enters in my kingdom. I get to experience everyone in their own state, embrace them and choose how I will use that energy. I live in a place where I am free to live, walk, enjoy things as a human being as a woman. I take this for granted. My children go to school, are free to enjoy the fruit of my husband hard labor. I get to be a stay at home parent, and I get to enjoy this time in my life to the fullest.

Thank you for another wonderful challenge.
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    Nice to see you back here @MmamabearR . Great attitude and energy! Love it

I get to choose who I let in my life. I get to choose who enters in my kingdom. I get to experience everyone in their own state, embrace them and choose how I will use that energy. I live in a place where I am free to live, walk, enjoy things as a human being as a woman. I take this for granted. My children go to school, are free to enjoy the fruit of my husband hard labor. I get to be a stay at home parent, and I get to enjoy this time in my life to the fullest.

Thank you for another wonderful challenge.

This is so awesome! How insightful!
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    I get to clean our house today. How awesome that I have one to clean! There was a time I did not. :smile:
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    I get to eat at home with foods that I know will refuel my body.
  • themedalist
    Options
    Hard to put into our "Have to - Get to" framework for this week, but since ultimately this challenge is about gratitude, here goes.

I've gotten a reminder this week what a gift and luxury it is to have clean water for both drinking and household use. My well pump failed this week and we had no water. Fortunately, we found an excellent well and pump company who fixed the problem on Friday in a matter of hours. We can once again wash clothes, take showers, run the dishwasher, and have the drinking water we need for ourselves and our pets.

Water has special significance for me. For 10 years my small town in New Hampshire fought a water bottling company from coming into our community and pumping 300,000 gallons a day of water. Repeated scientific studies demonstrated that level could not be sustained...many of our homes near the bottling plant could lose their well water and a house without water has no market value whatsoever. It took us 10 years and a lot of blood, sweat, and tears but my town eventually prevailed and the water bottling company gave up and left town. I never buy bottled water now (unless it's an emergency) because I know that that water was likely taken (stolen is really the more appropriate word) from a community whose residents need their water and can't afford to have it taken. Reusable water bottles work just fine!

Glad to have water back! Much of the rest of the world does not have access to clean drinking water. We are indeed very fortunate.
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Wonderful!