How practical is this...

Options
milocamolly
milocamolly Posts: 91 Member
edited July 2018 in Social Groups
So I have to lose 9 lbs in about 2-3 weeks. I have bounced in and out with Keto over the past few years. I have gotten back on the keto wagon a few days ago.
Do you guys think that this is realistic losing that much in that amount of time doing Keto? If you have lost similar or more can you please share what you did? Thank you so much in advance.

Replies

• Svelez23
    Svelez23 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am on day 5 of doing keto and have lost 8 lbs. honestly I wouldn’t even say I’m following a true keto diet either. The only thing I have really done is kept the carbs intake under 20mg and no exercise either. I don’t plan on working out until next week.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    When you lower carbs, you tend to lose a lot of water weight due to the lower insulin levels. You could lose a few lbs of water and a few of fat. It is possible. Harder to do if near goal.

If you supplement sodium to avoid low electrolytes, you may not lose much water. It's safer though.

Is this for a weigh in contest or to meet a weight class in a sport?
  • milocamolly
    edited July 2018
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    When you lower carbs, you tend to lose a lot of water weight due to the lower insulin levels. You could lose a few lbs of water and a few of fat. It is possible. Harder to do if near goal.

If you supplement sodium to avoid low electrolytes, you may not lose much water. It's safer though.

I am joining the Air Force and have to be down to 165 to make it thru MEPS weight standards. I will be going in 2 or 3 weeks. I am in my final crunch time.

Thank you for your help.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Most of that 9 pounds is going to be water anyway so I actually think it is possible.
    Look into PSMF too. It may also help you target body fat since you don’t have much to lose. It is generally the hardest with so little extra fat.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I am joining the Air Force and have to be down to 165 to make it thru MEPS weight standards. I will be going in 2 or 3 weeks. I am in my final crunch time.

Thank you for your help.

Good luck! :)

It will be a lot of water weight. You might want to just go with minimum sodium replacement - just enough to get rid of any low electrolyte symptoms that pop up like the headache, fatigue, brain fog and weakness.

As you probably know, 1 lb of body fat is approximately 3500 kcal. To lose one pound a week you'll need a caloric deficit of 500 kcal a day; 1000 kcal if you want about 2 lbs a week. In the short term, you might want to look at the 1000 kcal deficit. Maybe. Not long term of course.

Like Sunny Bunny said, protein sparing modified fast might be the way to go. Enough protein to help spare lean tissue losses, as well as help blunt the appetite.

Have you looked into PSMF?
  • sykin
    sykin Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    All the weight I lost was in the first 2 weeks and I lost 9 pounds. So yeah, it's definitely possible. Started at 167 lbs. But I definitely consider it all water weight. Because I've not lost a thing since (and I've actually gone up a little the last 2 weeks).
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if you count water. If you wanted 9 pounds of fat loss, it's very unlikely. So, it depends on how much water you have to lose.
  • milocamolly
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    Yeah, if you count water. If you wanted 9 pounds of fat loss, it's very unlikely. So, it depends on how much water you have to lose.

Honestly, since it’s for a weigh in I don’t care if it’s fat or water at this point. I just need the scale to be at 165. I will have a few months until my next weigh in so I could def lose the fat by then.
  • jrmie333
    jrmie333 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Do Keto extremely low carb and some intermittent fasting. You will probably feel sicked but for sure you will hit your target.