Balancing High FAT with Low CAL

Options
Shoop69
Shoop69 Posts: 48 Member
HI folks :) I'm having difficulty keeping my fat intake up, without getting my calories too high - and I really wish to keep my calories low (1200-1300) yet keep my fat intake around 90-100g

What do you eat that is high in fat and low in calories? I need ideas :)

Replies

• tifano
    tifano Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I can tell you from my own personal experience that eating at that low of a figure will get you some success but eventually you'll bottom out and stall. With that stall might come hair loss, energy loss, muscle loss, etc....

I eat around 1800-1900 calories and I've been keto for 18 months +. Eating 1800-1900 calories I'm still losing weight/fat.

I ate at the 1200 level last year until Thanksgiving time and I was in a 4 month weight loss stall, lost hair like I was going through chemo again (I'm a cancer survivor), brittle nails, loss of energy, HANGRY, loss muscle mass. It was terrible.

Here is a great read.....

http://commonsenseketogenics.com/why-cico-calories-in-calories-out-isnt-true-and-why-insulin-glucagon-control-weight/
  • Shoop69
    Options
    Hi Tifano :) Thanks for the advice, and I agree with you 100%. I have no intention to keep my calorie intake so low. I'm usually 1600-1700 but I'm doing 1200-1300 for a week just for the heck of it, then I'll be back to the norm. I'm far more comfortable at the higher range that's for sure! Feels much more natural and more sustainable.

But, I do find that at the higher range I have to eat a lot of fat bombs to keep up the fat intake and I really dont want to keep doing that (delicious as they are)

Ideally, I'd like to find food with a high fat content and lower cal. Before I joined MFP I was eating LOADS of dairy, and only recently learned, via MFP, about the high calorie content in dairy. I was packing away well over 3000 cal per day. I gotta kick the "moo" habit and come up with other food that'll increase fat but not at the expense of calories.

cheers - and thanks again
  • wyntarra
    wyntarra Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you like avocados, they are low carb and high fat. They are also an excellent source for potassium and fibre. Avocado oil is yummy to cook with as well. Whole eggs are pretty low in carb and another excellent source for fat and protein as well as potassium and vits D and B12. I'll have 1 or two boiled eggs sometimes. Small pieces of fatty fish such as salmon, trout, mackerel, sardines or herring are good sources as well plus the added benefits of Omega 3. Cooking with extra virgin olive oil or drizzling it over salads is also an excellent source. Coconut oil is also a winner. Cooking with real butter or adding to steamed veggies is good too.
  • Shoop69
    Options
    omg, myntarra - thanks! Your comment gave me a flashback to one of my favourite salads - boiled eggs and avo with lots of pepper. Haven't thought of that in years :) I'm definitely adding that to my routine.
  • wyntarra
    wyntarra Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Most welcome love! I love a good egg salad and found that romaine leaves make an excellent "boat" for the salad hehe. Instead of using mayo, I'll mash avo then add diced up egg to it and season to preference. Little fat bombs on their own. :)
  • jrmie333
    jrmie333 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this question. I too think that I am eating too low and that is probably the reason why I have been on a stall for the past 3 weeks. I do not know how and where to find the correct macros. I enter my weight and goal weignt in MFP and it generated my current macro. I tried using the online calculator but doing a terrible job. Is there anyone that could help me figure this out plz?
  • Tracyramos1220
    Tracyramos1220 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My go to high fat food, lately, is Keto broccoli cheese soup. And I eat an avocado every day. We make quiche a lot too.
  • Kelliegann88
    Kelliegann88 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    jrmie333 - I just found this macro calculator at https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/page/KetoDiet-Buddy and it seems pretty helpful. It does ask your BMI though, so I had to use a separate online calculator to find that first.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I am not counting calories. I eat 2 eggs with sausage or bacon and cheese for breakfast. Some almonds for morning snack. Salad with oil cheese and some protein for lunch. Dinner is fish, meat or seafood with lots of fresh veggies baked in Olive oil. I think the idea here is not to starve yourself and get your body to burn fat. The way I understand it you will start to lose your appetite as you stay with this.