How long does it take for ketosis to start?

Options
amywizengamot
amywizengamot Posts: 14 Member
Hello! I (obviously) am in the opening stages of eating a keto diet, and I haven’t had a positive strip four days in. Is this a terrible sign? Am I overreacting?

To be honest, the first day was a bit of a wash because I was so focused on carb-tracking that I fell 40 grams shy of my #fatgoals

It is a kick to have fat goals, though.

I just don’t know what to expect.

Replies

• Tracyramos1220
    Tracyramos1220 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I went into ketosis fairly quick. I didn’t cheat at all, very low carbs (sometimes negative net carbs) and I took a keto pill to try and minimalist the keto flu which I did. Love this diet very much. I just passed my month mark.
  • dorisb57
    dorisb57 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    what is a Keto pill?
  • Tracyramos1220
    Tracyramos1220 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It’s a supplement that I used to get into ketosis quickly.
  • Kelliegann88
    Kelliegann88 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I didn't even think to use ketostix to make sure I was in ketosis and I'm about 3 or 4 weeks in to my keto diet now. Is it probably too late to get an accurate reading for me? I haven't been cheating but I have been allowing up to 20 carbs per day, so I just assumed I was in ketosis.
  • bran9300
    bran9300 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was doing 100-150 total carbs/day for 4 weeks before starting keto. It still took a few days to get into ketosis.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I started getting a funny taste in my mouth yesterday and I was thinking maybe keto but it went away after two scotches and a half bottle of wine at dinner.
  • zonnebloem69
    zonnebloem69 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi. I started 2 weeks ago, noting down all I eat but nothing is happening yet! As of today I will increase my fat intake to find out if that helps. Anyone else feels helpless like me?
  • rsclause
    Options
    I am too lazy to test for ketosis but I think I am there or very close. I have lost twelve pounds and I am sure it is mostly water at about two weeks in. @zonnebloem69 I am no expert but I think it is important to hit the % or ratios of carb to fat to protein. I have been pretty rigid on all but I tend to go all in on lifestyle changes. When I started calorie counting combined with exercise I lost 50+ pounds and ended up running 30 miles a week. I slacked off and put 30 pounds back on. I decided to try LCHF so I am off on another great ride.
  • amywizengamot
    amywizengamot Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi. I started 2 weeks ago, noting down all I eat but nothing is happening yet! As of today I will increase my fat intake to find out if that helps. Anyone else feels helpless like me?
    @zonnebloem69 Me=helpless!
    I am impressed with @rsclause — at one week I had lost nearly two pounds, and as of this week (two weeks and a day in) I have gained them
    both back plus two. So, essentially, I gained four pounds in a week, but I’m only two pounds over my keto starting weight. (So far there has been no effect on my neurological problems, but I am sure it must be too soon for that. Also, it’s pretty far outside of the MFP standard use, so I’m not going to press people for/assume anyone has answers for that!)

• zonnebloem69
    zonnebloem69 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am still waiting for any signs of the keto flu & weightloss. Ha ha no signs yet
  • rsclause
    Options
    My diet was not that far off Keto when I started. All I had to do was get rid of bread at breakfast and lunch, stop drinking beer and increase fat.