Any supps recommended?

Options
toughmuther
toughmuther Posts: 27 Member
Hi! I've been on keto for about 30 days now. The one thing I'm noticing is my decrease in physical energy. My brain is on keto, full of focus and energy..but my body is like whooaa slow down. I feel like I'm walking through mud or something. Are there supplements I should be taking..magnesium, potassium, etc? Maybe the physical energy returns?
Other than that, things are going amazing but I can't help but wonder if I'm missing out on something nutrient wise.

Replies

• tifano
    tifano Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Electrolytes are KEY!!
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,690 Member
    Options
    tifano wrote: »
    Electrolytes are KEY!!
    which is to say, salt...
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    If you have no medical reason not to, increase your salt intake. 3000mg to 5000 mg is suggested in most readings. Too little sodium gives me "legs of lead" when I consistently eat low keto carb levels.

Too little sodium and you'll be needing magnesium to eliminate leg cramps.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I feel like I have increased my salt but during my run this morning my legs felt tired. It could be the keto or since it was second consecutive day it may be just plain old fatigue.
  • toughmuther
    toughmuther Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks, I'll try and up my salt intake. I like cutting up celery and cucumbers and salting them up
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Keto is so weird, everything that I was told is good for me is now bad and everything that was bad is now good. It has been very easy to adopt but man I sure miss my beer.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I highly recommend supplementing with Potassium and Magnesium as well as increasing your salt intake. I wasn't doing that (only upped my salt), and I ended up not pooping for like 5 days. I added a Magnesium supplement and everything is again as it should be :)
  • alisonarmstead
    alisonarmstead Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm just 26 days in but so far I'm just taking fish oil. Taking MCT oil has helped clear my brain fog. For health reasons I can't up the salt.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    PaulaKro wrote: »
    tifano wrote: »
    Electrolytes are KEY!!
    which is to say, salt...

Yes. Salt. Salt rules over magnesium and potassium which I would honestly consider optional but beneficial. But sodium is not optional. At high doses. Not what just salting your food could ever provide.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,690 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I didn't know that! I was wondering why my legs were cramping so much nowadays. Going to need to make salt a more natural thing to include each day. Thank you @kpk54 !
    I highly recommend supplementing with Potassium and Magnesium as well as increasing your salt intake. I added a Magnesium supplement and everything is again as it should be :)
    Is there a good potassium/magnesium/salt supplement @WholeFoods4Lyfe ?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    You really don't want to be playing around with potassium. Visit Dr. Google. You'll find words like fatal and lethal associated with too much potassium.

Most of us (in the USA) probably get far more potassium from the foods we eat than is reflected in our mfp food diaries. The FDA intended to have all food manufacturers with sales over 10M add potassium to their nutrient labels by July 2018 but then rescinded that with no new date for compliance which is why we are currently seeing some product labels showing potassium but not all.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    The thing with potassium and magnesium is that they are leeched out when sodium is chronically too low. If you keep sodium high enough, it preserves the others and through food, potassium should top up pretty quickly. Magnesium isn't as prevalent in foods as it once was, so supplementing magnesium (if you tolerate it) is good for some.

I personally find that even though I eat a lot of potassium rich foods, I still need a little bit. So I add NuSalt to ketoade. (potassium chloride). But then, I have Sjogren's and my body does not balance certain things well at all.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    PaulaKro wrote: »
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I didn't know that! I was wondering why my legs were cramping so much nowadays. Going to need to make salt a more natural thing to include each day. Thank you @kpk54 !
    I highly recommend supplementing with Potassium and Magnesium as well as increasing your salt intake. I added a Magnesium supplement and everything is again as it should be :)
    Is there a good potassium/magnesium/salt supplement @WholeFoods4Lyfe ?

Yes, hyperkalemia (too much Potassium) is a thing, but it's really, really difficult to do that. Most of us aren't getting enough from our food sources as it is anyway due to depleted soils. There is not an official RDA to my knowledge, but when I was researching, most sites said that we should get between 3500-4700mg per day. For most healthy people, if you were to consume more than that, the body would just flush it out, the only concern really is if you have pre-existing Kidney Disease or High Blood Pressure, otherwise, most healthy people are fine. That doesn't mean that you can just take copious amounts without abandon, but if you are taking supplements in addition to what you are getting through your food, you are likely fine.

As for brands, I mostly take Biotics Supplements, but if you can find a Vegan supplement that's even better as they tend to contain less junk.
  • CrystalConsults
    CrystalConsults Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hey Keto buddies, I was listening to Dr Jason Fung, who wrote "The Obesity Code" and some book about fasting and he mentions magnesium on a keto diet. Interesting thing, he actually recommends putting Epsom salts in a bath and soaking in magnesium. He says when we take it orally, it pretty much goes through us. I'll have an Epsom soak tonight and see how that effects leg cramps. So there you go, in the "for what it's worth" department. :wink:
  • JanSJ1
    JanSJ1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Plus baths are relaxing!
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Hey Keto buddies, I was listening to Dr Jason Fung, who wrote "The Obesity Code" and some book about fasting and he mentions magnesium on a keto diet. Interesting thing, he actually recommends putting Epsom salts in a bath and soaking in magnesium. He says when we take it orally, it pretty much goes through us. I'll have an Epsom soak tonight and see how that effects leg cramps. So there you go, in the "for what it's worth" department. :wink:

I get my magnesium through baths. I take one Mineral bath (mostly magnesium but has other minerals as well) at least once a week and it's nice. Btw, SODIUM RULES on a keto diet.