What do you consider "clean"

Options
Becka77
Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
I am on an anti-inflammatory diet and trying to eat clean most of the time. I'm curious as to what everyone else considers "clean".

I eat:

-Lots of fresh veg & fruit
-Non-GMO, soy free eggs
-No processed foods or canned vegetables
-I do eat some store-bought foods but I try to get them as clean as possible, for instance, I switched to coffee creamer which was made out of oil and god knows what to one that is made from just skim milk, cane sugar and cream. If I buy Ice cream I get one that is made from, milk, eggs, sugar and cream, instead of 100 ingredients I can't pronounce. I'm not going to make my own ice cream so I do the best I can.
-Low sodium
-Low sugar - natural sugars only (fruit, monkfruit, honey, coconut sugar) I try to avoid cane sugar, but sometimes it's unavoidable, but I figure it's better than HFCS or substitutes
-No dairy milk, but occasionally non-fat greek yogurt or low-fat cheese
-Very little meat, because I don't like it, this is something I actually make myself eat for protein, but I try to be local, grass-fed meat when I do buy it
-I only use olive oil or coconut oil when needed
-I try to buy minimally processed, organic bread or homemade bread
-No soda, juice or sugary drinks of any kind, pretty much just tea, coffee and water

I buy most of my food from local farmers.

I do my best but stuff happens. This weekend I was out of town and couldn't get to the farmers market so I went to Trader Joe's and bought some healthy frozen dinners and sandwich fixings to get me through the week.

Replies

• bostonjim23
    bostonjim23 Posts: 41 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I am new here though to me clean eating is not eating food high in salt or fried food with a pile of grease. I normal eat for health not for taste so many times i eat things not because how they taste. Most of the day i drink water an after i come back from the gym i drink 1 organic coconut water to help with the water i lost. I also eat only organic usda meat an usda organic fruit which is personal choice. I stay away from soy an red meat an i do not care much for fish so i only eat chicken an organic eggs. I also do not eat many processed foods that have preservatives since they contain a lot of salt.
  • BeesAreWorthSaving
    BeesAreWorthSaving Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    To me clean is organic, which includes nonGMO, and preferably not processed, as close to how it came from the farm as possible. I fall short most of the time when eating away from home but I think it is worth trying for the health benefits.
  • GoldieAuStein
    GoldieAuStein Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly organic and/or non-gmo. If the thing I want is not organic but is non-gmo project certified I do buy it. On occasion we eat out, but we eat only at restaurants that are organic and non-gmo which is hard to find. I avoid Gluten, though on occasion I do indulge. I don't worry too much about sodium and fat intake, as I am eating real food, and my body is getting nutrition and chemicals. I am interviewing an endocrinologist this week, we will see how that goes. I am on the search for a doc that knows how to treat people without a thyroid, and don't shove big pharma down my throat, that lets me use food as medicine.
  • littlegibbs62
    littlegibbs62 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Clean eating to me is not about being "pure". I'm a mid-hedonist. LOL. I will never claim perfection. Rather, clean eating for me is about "choosing your poison" and making sure the poison dose is small. So I eat "clean" (from the outer isles) about 90% of the time and ef off the other 10% with tiny amounts of things I term as sorta innocuous "better living through chemistry" prepared items or quick fixes or restaurant/fast/event food.

Added sugar in ANY form is one of two things I strictly booted from my life. Natural sugars (in small quantities) that occur in veggies and some fruits is acceptable provided it falls within my carb allotment for the day. I eat low carb, and lower fat and adequate protein that comes from a variety of sources. The other thing I'm strict about it transfats and super-esterified fats. Also artificial sweeteners is pretty limited to liquid stevia and only TINY amts of erythritol and sucralose.

My A1c has come down dramatically, my arthritis pain has improved, and so has my CRP. I've lost 120lbs over the last 15 months by doing this. The last 55lbs is a result of this diet + RNY surgery. I also exercise 7 days a week, minimum of 1 hour per day.
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    For me clean eating is making about 80%+ of my food from scratch. So basically I buy whole food, not transformed or processed as much as I can. I rely on processed food for when I just can't cook thing myself.

My groceries are usually:
    Fresh fruit and vegetable
    When I buy pre-made, I read the ingredient list over reading nutrional label, I make sure I know all of those ingredients before purchasing them
    I stay clear of pre-season meat
    I do buy slice bread, my boyfriend eat some all the time, and i'll eat it too sometime but if I want roll, pita, etc.. I make them myself

So the 20% of non clean eating would be restaurant, the occasional slice bread, frozen pizza in a hurry, etc.
  • mushr1955
    mushr1955 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am really new to clean eating so I am taking small steps. I have CHF so this is really important to me. My ultimate goal is to have most of my diet from foods as close to their natural state as possible. To me that is clean eating. I gave up so call "diet" products and foods labeled "fat free" and "sugar free". I look for naturally low fat and low sugar. This has been my challenge but I have fallen off the wagon. This week I am making the commitment to eat as clean as I can.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Love all the comments on this thread. For me - clean eating is choosing foods that are as close to their natural state as possible. Fresh vegetables and avoiding preservatives and anything artificial.
  • stephanieturner0122
    stephanieturner0122 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My diet is about 99% vegan and 1% vegetarian. I eat mostly organic, but especially produce. I've given up sweets except for very special occasions like holidays and am happy to report that I no longer crave them. Blueberries, strawberries, bananas, and baby carrots are staples in my diet. I also eat a lot of sprouts of all types and micro greens. For protein, I drink a vegan, vegetable-based shake for breakfast; eat black beans, lentil soup, hummus, Tofurky, and all natural peanut butter that is nothing more than ground peanuts; and enjoy chickpea pasta rather than grain-based pasta. I drink a lot of water, enjoy my coffee black, and have replaced regular diet soda with Zevia, which is sweetened with stevia.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    @stephanieturner0122 - I am currently looking up Tofurky. ☺️ I’m trying to eat more and more plant based as well..
  • Tracie_Lord
    Tracie_Lord Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    clean to me is

meat
    fish
    fruit
    veg
    herbs
    spices
    pulses