Burn the fat, feed the muscle...

Options
aWildFlowere
aWildFlowere Posts: 76 Member
Hi! What is wrong with me? I am so hungry today too!!! Maybe I am not getting enuf calories when I workout so hard. My goal is to only eat 1500 but bodybuilding.com said I should eat 1871 to lose fat but 2839 to gain muscle. I am so confused by feed the muscle when I am trying to lose fat. How do I do that simultaneously & effectively?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Together - you eat at maintenance.

Your food goes to repair for the workout - fat is used more for daily energy needs.

This is called recomp and it is slower method than bulking and cutting. But it may have much better mental aspect to it and adherence.

But MFP is trying to teach a life lesson about weight management many failed to get or they wouldn't be here.
    You do more, you eat more.
    You do less, you eat less.

In a diet, a tad less in either case.

For what you are trying to accomplish, which you don't mention if weight loss in general is part of this, is just follow that method.

So if you've been shown your 1500 goal is not realistic, why do it?

You also don't have to select the max loss amount - which if you have little weight to lose to healthy weight, may be foolish anyway.
  • aWildFlowere
    aWildFlowere Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I want to lose 50 by next June.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So 20% deficit until about 30 lbs left is reasonable.

Now you need a decent estimate of what to take 20% off of.

The vast majority of online TDEE calc's only discuss how much exercise a week - nothing about different daily activity levels. Plus based on a 1919 study that has shown to need improvement.

Most find they are Light-Active (even to MFP's level) even with a desk job/commute, and outside of exercise - because of family/household responsibilities keeps them busy in evening and weekends.

You add exercise to Lightly-Active, you are up at Moderate and probably more now.

Spreadsheet referenced on my profile page you can download to personal Google Drive and use - track measurements too.

See what it says when you include all the regular workouts you will likely get.
  • lifeindeed43
    lifeindeed43 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi! What is wrong with me? I am so hungry today too!!! Maybe I am not getting enuf calories when I workout so hard. My goal is to only eat 1500 but bodybuilding.com said I should eat 1871 to lose fat but 2839 to gain muscle. I am so confused by feed the muscle when I am trying to lose fat. How do I do that simultaneously & effectively?

• lifeindeed43
    lifeindeed43 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I understand the confusion but it’s pretty simple. To lose fat eat less (calorie deficit), to build or maintain muscle workout accordingly. Stored fats provide the necessarily fuel/ building blocks needed in a calorie deficit diet. The only time you need to start feeding muscles is when your fat levels get too low, now how many people accomplish that?