When July in bed all day because the heat won't go away... Go to the gym! [Workout Thread]

Options
13»

Replies

• mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    @TheHobbit2017 Thank you for cheering me! :) It was tough! Seeing you guys lift so heavy gives me inspiration. May be someday I could be as strong also...
    Today I planned to incorporate barbell lunges in to my work out but alas! Time constraints!
  • TheHobbit2017
    TheHobbit2017 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Today’s lifts,

Squats 60kg - 5x5
    Bench 42.5kg - 5,5,5,5,3 (so close!)
    Row 40kg - 5x5
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the lack of updates, I have been run into the ground and was less than happy about my results and couldn't be bothered to try to type 'em out.

Last Monday I did:

- 3 barbell squat clean thrusters @ 85lbs

+ 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 rounds of:
    - 2 pull-ups
    - 3 pike press (feet elevated)
    - 4 burpees over bar

(so 3 clusters, 5 rounds of 2/3/4 , 3 clusters then 4 rounds, etc)

on a 20 min time cap. I got through 3 rounds and 2 clusters. That day wasn't so bad, I guess, that was before things went super south, anyway.

Thursday was a bodyweight ladder type of workout. 10 down to 1 of each move for time:
    - bw squat
    - push-up
    - recline rows
    - burpee

I hit the 12 min time cap after the round of 7 on each. My left wrist has been bothering me, for one, and it made push-ups harder than usual, on top of my body being completely beat up by the stress of the past few weeks, I guess?

Finished that session with an 8 min clock to complete 2, 4, 6, 8, ... 20, 18, 16... 2 ladder of KB swings (have to set it down between each step) @ 44lbs. I got back down to 12 + 2 for a total of 172 swings.

Friday was a teensy bit better

EMOTM x8 - Barbell Power Clean & Press (ascending load)
    95 for 2 rounds, 100x2, 102.5x2,
    105 took me a high pull miss on the clean but I got it,
    107.5 was good, but more of a push jerk than a push press

Then for time (workout listed no cap, but I had a time limit so I set 12 mins):

- 10 clean & press @ 75% of the highest weight of the EMOM (I took 105 and went with 77.5lbs)
    - 90 bw squats
    - 70 HR push-ups
    - 50 recline rows
    - 30 deadlifts @ C&P weight

The bodyweight portion was going to be too long if I didn't cut it up, so I made it 10 rounds of 9/7/5, but I finished the 8th round at 11:45 so I just ditched the last 2 and went for a set of 30 deadlifts unbroken to finish. It took a little longer than the original 12 minutes, but at least I felt a bit better about myself.

Then yesterday I spent 20 minutes in Kettlehell (yes, I named the workout)

EMOTM x20 with double KBs (I used 2x30)
    - 3 clean
    - 3 front squat
    - 3 push press
    - 3 pull-ups

The kicker: if you can't complete a round in time, rest the next round. I skipped 3 rounds that way, 9th, 14th and 20th (I *tried* to get that last chin-up in before the beep but my arms just couldn't get me there).

I was pouring sweat. It wasn't a fun one. Having to get back to the bells after breathing for only 10ish seconds... yeah. Glad I did it, though. Today is a day off. My left wrist bothers me even more. I've got it taped up in hopes it'll help it heal faster/protect it from daily occurences. I'm not sure what all happened to it. It started hurting a bit about a month ago, as it tends to do about 3 times a year randomly - I sprained it as a kid and it never was 100% structurally sound since, but I've gotten around just avoiding bending it the wrong way for a bit when it flares up and it usually gets better. It sort of bent backwards doing one of the obstacles last Saturday though, so maybe that just made things worse, and trying to do push-ups on it is like the worst idea. So, um, it shall be DB push-ups for a little while.

And woah, that was a novel. O_o
  • TheHobbit2017
    TheHobbit2017 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Today’s results:

Squats 62.5kg 5x5 (amazing as first time at this weight and felt brilliant. Last ones hard but achieved),
    OHP 24.5kg 5x5 (easy)
    Deadlift 75kg 1x4 - deload time. I could possibly have repped out a very poor 5th but no point as form would have been way off and risk injury.

All in all happy with that. Deadlifts clearly him my body weight ceiling so let’s see if deloading helps. It helped with my squats :)
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    krokador wrote: »
    Sorry for the lack of updates, I have been run into the ground and was less than happy about my results and couldn't be bothered to try to type 'em out.

Last Monday I did:

- 3 barbell squat clean thrusters @ 85lbs

+ 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 rounds of:
    - 2 pull-ups
    - 3 pike press (feet elevated)
    - 4 burpees over bar

(so 3 clusters, 5 rounds of 2/3/4 , 3 clusters then 4 rounds, etc)

on a 20 min time cap. I got through 3 rounds and 2 clusters. That day wasn't so bad, I guess, that was before things went super south, anyway.

Thursday was a bodyweight ladder type of workout. 10 down to 1 of each move for time:
    - bw squat
    - push-up
    - recline rows
    - burpee

I hit the 12 min time cap after the round of 7 on each. My left wrist has been bothering me, for one, and it made push-ups harder than usual, on top of my body being completely beat up by the stress of the past few weeks, I guess?

Finished that session with an 8 min clock to complete 2, 4, 6, 8, ... 20, 18, 16... 2 ladder of KB swings (have to set it down between each step) @ 44lbs. I got back down to 12 + 2 for a total of 172 swings.

Friday was a teensy bit better

EMOTM x8 - Barbell Power Clean & Press (ascending load)
    95 for 2 rounds, 100x2, 102.5x2,
    105 took me a high pull miss on the clean but I got it,
    107.5 was good, but more of a push jerk than a push press

Then for time (workout listed no cap, but I had a time limit so I set 12 mins):

- 10 clean & press @ 75% of the highest weight of the EMOM (I took 105 and went with 77.5lbs)
    - 90 bw squats
    - 70 HR push-ups
    - 50 recline rows
    - 30 deadlifts @ C&P weight

The bodyweight portion was going to be too long if I didn't cut it up, so I made it 10 rounds of 9/7/5, but I finished the 8th round at 11:45 so I just ditched the last 2 and went for a set of 30 deadlifts unbroken to finish. It took a little longer than the original 12 minutes, but at least I felt a bit better about myself.

Then yesterday I spent 20 minutes in Kettlehell (yes, I named the workout)

EMOTM x20 with double KBs (I used 2x30)
    - 3 clean
    - 3 front squat
    - 3 push press
    - 3 pull-ups

The kicker: if you can't complete a round in time, rest the next round. I skipped 3 rounds that way, 9th, 14th and 20th (I *tried* to get that last chin-up in before the beep but my arms just couldn't get me there).

I was pouring sweat. It wasn't a fun one. Having to get back to the bells after breathing for only 10ish seconds... yeah. Glad I did it, though. Today is a day off. My left wrist bothers me even more. I've got it taped up in hopes it'll help it heal faster/protect it from daily occurences. I'm not sure what all happened to it. It started hurting a bit about a month ago, as it tends to do about 3 times a year randomly - I sprained it as a kid and it never was 100% structurally sound since, but I've gotten around just avoiding bending it the wrong way for a bit when it flares up and it usually gets better. It sort of bent backwards doing one of the obstacles last Saturday though, so maybe that just made things worse, and trying to do push-ups on it is like the worst idea. So, um, it shall be DB push-ups for a little while.

And woah, that was a novel. O_o

Interesting novel! :) Reading these posts psyches me up for my next session.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    More lifting happened over the past 2 days. However my brain is in a puddle so I'm not 100% sure what all I did yesterday anymore. Something along the lines of:

For time (12 min cap):
    - 20, 15, 10, 5 front squats @95lbs
    - 5, 10, 15, 20 pike presses with feet on a 45# bumper (just to say I was a bit elevated).

I made it through like 12 of the set of 20 on the pike press

I then had 10 min to complete sets of 1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10 hanging knee raises (unbroken). I think it took about 7 minutes.

I finished off (a bit stupidly) with a 10 min clock to try to complete 5 sets of 1 rope climb (2 knots) and 20 double unders. I got 4 rounds in, though. And actually didn't make it to the 2nd knot twice. But hey, sets of 12+ DUs under fatigue!

As for today, it was VERY simple, but I was a little O_o when I saw front squats again. Ugh!

I did start with some skillwork, trying to do non-fatigued rope climbs this time. But it actually didn't work out super, lol. Worse than yesterday, really. It was part of my warm-up with some animal walks.

Then 5 min AMRAP Front squats @85 (from the ground), with 2 burpees over bar every time I dropped it. sets were 10/10/9/8 for a total of 37 reps.

Then 2x5 min AMRAP DB Turkish get-ups @25lbs. 14 and 15.5

Tomorrow I think is some sort of interval set-up. Not really looking forward to it xD