Costco

fdhunt1
fdhunt1 Posts: 222 Member
Planning a trip to Costco on Friday. Never been there, joined on line. Bringing coolers and a boat load of money, Any suggestions as to what folks like at Costco? Deals?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited July 2018
    I tend to get my ground beef there. I often get chicken, like wings, too. They have some nice breakfast sausages that are gluten free - which can be tricky to get.

Toilet paper! LOL

Condiments and sauces are pretty good. Their food oils are reasonable.

I tend to get sour cream there.

I get my kids'omega 3 and multivitamins.

Umm, glasses and hearing aids are reasonable too. ;)

I find almost all of their produce costs more than Superstore except for mandarin oranges or really BIG packs if produce (which I don't buy because we could not get through them before it rots).

Oh, we get our dog's chicken jerky there, and we feed him the Kirkland burgers as dog food... For people they are.... Okay in a pinch.

Be careful. It's easy to overspend!!
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Meat, meat and oh yes, meat! Oh, forgot the cheese...😂
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Frozen kale
    Frozen broccoli
    3 dozen brown eggs
    Kellog's - Crustless Quiche - Sausage and Peppers
    Almonds
    Uncured Polish Kielbasa (https://www.tetonwatersranch.com/products/uncured-polish-kielbasa/)
    zip fizz
    kirkland protein bars for emergency
    plain yogurt
    pesto
    guacamole
    salad mix
    cucumbers
    peppers
    tomatoes

and and and
  • grrrlwonder
    grrrlwonder Posts: 59 Member
    Rotisserie chicken
    Avocados, lemons
    Spring mix, Asparagus, broccoli
    Salmon, frozen chicken breasts & thighs, ground beef, tri-tip, ahi
    Pistachios, almonds
    Plain yogurt (Fage or Chobani)
    24-packs of eggs
    Cases of La Croix water
    Coffee
    TP, paper towels
    Anything with the Kirkland brand is good (or tasty at least, maybe not diet-friendly), including the vodka and the Malbec 😍
    I second watch your spending! It's so easy to spend too much. I find it safe to round everything in my cart to $10, so 10 items = $100. Sometimes I really overestimate, but I don't usually underestimate that way.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    some of my favorites:

riced cauliflower in the frozen section
    pork loin, which I usually cut into chops, but generally the whole loin is cheaper
    pesto - I don't normally like store bought pesto, but theirs is delicious
    white american sliced cheese
    sliced ham
    they sell the rotiserie chicken cold - the packs of leg quarters are way cheaper than the white meat packs

they also have an awesome dry italian salami and a variety cracker cut cheese tray - these make nice easy snacks if you are looking for something quick and convenient
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    some of my favorites:

riced cauliflower in the frozen section
    pork loin, which I usually cut into chops, but generally the whole loin is cheaper
    pesto - I don't normally like store bought pesto, but theirs is delicious
    white american sliced cheese
    sliced ham
    they sell the rotiserie chicken cold - the packs of leg quarters are way cheaper than the white meat packs

they also have an awesome dry italian salami and a variety cracker cut cheese tray - these make nice easy snacks if you are looking for something quick and convenient

Oh yes! The riced cauliflower!
    and their cheese.
    and those little salami/prosciutto cheese roll ups too
  • jogetsgains
    jogetsgains Posts: 341 Member
    Cheese
    Cream
    Butter
    Eggs
    Wings
    Frozen veg
    Frozen berries (if you have the freezer space. Its a huge bag and lasts forever)
    Avacado oil
    Chia seeds
    Flax seeds
    Chicken broth
    Vinegar
    So much more
  • LegalMom0928
    LegalMom0928 Posts: 46 Member
    Frozen chicken (tenderloins and wings) are a great price there, frozen veggies are always a good deal, fresh Brussels Sprouts/sugar snap peas/fruit are staples in our house, Kirkland brand bacon (DUH!), lunch meat (they have a very low carb herb roasted turkey breast that my family really likes), string cheese, ground beef, nuts, and seasonings/spices. Oh, and their Half and Half and heavy cream are decently priced, too.

For household stuff trash bags, TP and paper towels, and cleaning supplies are always on our Costco list.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    About three varieties of lettuces
    Crab legs
    Brussels sprouts
    Asparagus
    Walnuts
    Almonds
    wine (6) bottles
    Coffee

I used to get bacon but have switched to uncured from Lidl
  • tcunbeliever
    oh, the wine, love the costco pinot grigio, and super cheap for the giant size bottle...totally avoiding wine this month, but normally it's awesome
  • rkmeyer41
    rkmeyer41 Posts: 58 Member
    Cello salami and provolone packs
    sliced cheese
    avacados
    half and half
    sour cream
    cottage cheese
    string cheese
    Babybel
    cream cheese
    black olives
    almonds
    pecans
    frozen mixed berries
    frozen blueberries
    frozen fish (we like the Tilapia best)
    frozen shrimp
    frozen chicken breasts and thighs

and the Kirkland Chablis is great for cooking with too!

A freezer in a must! We picked up a small chest freezer for overflow.

• 0426Jamie
    0426Jamie Posts: 57 Member
    Agree with everything posted above!

We also get:
    Almond flour
    Kirkland brand Dog Food (highly rated by dog food advisers)
    Pecans, Almonds, Pistachio's
    Moon Cheese and Parmesan Wisps
    Whole Organic Milk (For our 16 month old)
    MEAT!

We go once a month and if we get out of there for less than $400, I consider that a win.
  • HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    Almond flour; mozzarella sticks; antibiotic free bacon; frozen fruits; coconut oil; coffee; avocado oil; tomato diced/sauce; coconut milk full fat; cheddar cheese, Brie, chèvre, feta; hummus; wholly guacamole; albacore; raw honey; marinated wild salmon; fish sticks; wine; Jameson; Tito’s ...... The price for boneless skinless organic chicken breasts & thighs is better in the refrigerated section over by produce than in the hard fridge cases - at least at mine. I’ve been a member for almost 20 years. It’s great.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    The only thing I ever buy when I go to Costco (we used to have a membership but found it too expensive for two people in a household - too much huge bulk purchasing) is the Grana Padano Parmesan chunks - half the price of GP Parmesan anywhere else. $25/kilo compared to $40-$50.
  • PaulChasinDreams
    PaulChasinDreams Posts: 439 Member
    --If you are into high fat nuts; Costco's own branded 'Kirkland' salted Macadamia nuts are the lowest price in North America I have found. And I've ordered them from all over the place. And theirs are in air sealed cans and super good and bigger than the average ones I have tried other places. Often I have found the larger they are they fresher they stay for longer. It's a big can they sell there so I split them up into several bags and vacuum pack them and keep them in the fridge. They last longer in the fridge than in the cupboard.

--If you have pets we also get all our pet food from there. Much cheaper than other stores. Bacon can be a savings but often times I like smoked fresh butcher bacon over large sacks of the Costco stuff. But it's a good go to if you can't find good butcher/farmer fresh stuff.

--I don't eat much honey but my family does. They get big jars there for much cheaper than other stores and it's marked 'pure Canadian honey'...

--Peanut butter and real mayonnaise can be much cheaper there than other stores.

--Olive oil can be a good deal but do a google search for consumer reports on brand names before you buy it. Lot's of B.S. olive oil out there masquerading itself as good quality extra virgin stuff.

--Smoked salmon packs can be a good deal. Watch labels though. When we run out of our own home made stuff we will get it from there as long as it's the wild caught and not loaded with sugar in it's brine ingredients.

--Socks and underwear can be pretty great deals there at times.

--wife says that laundry soap and dishwasher rinse aids can be much cheaper there with some brands.

--motor oil can be much cheaper there than other stores. Just gotta compare prices before going. We buy cases of it at times if we have oil changes coming up that we do ourselves.

--I'm not a granola bar guy but at times my wife will buy them for the kids. Gotta check labels cause some are much healthier than others but they can be cheaper there too.

--Big beef jerky sacks can be good deals but again make sure they aren't laced with too much sugar. Some brands have lot's.

--Butter usually matches the cheapest prices we find at our local grocery store. Currently around $3.90/lb Canadian..

--Bigger packs of shaving razor blades can be cheaper than other stores

--If you get a 'premium' membership then a % of your purchases goes towards your membership fee every year you renew. We haven't paid for a membership for about 10 years now I think cause we get certain things there on a regular basis and it adds up pretty quick towards our membership fee.
    If you have friends or family you can pick stuff up for them too and those purchases can go towards your membership fee too.

• tcunbeliever
    Oh yes, the executive membership usually makes me money each year...we are a family of 4 currently, my oldest is grown and out of the house...it's also great for seasonal kids clothes, I get the grandkids PJs at christmas and dresses at easter as well as cute snow/summer outfits and jackets/coats depending on the time of year.
  • LifeChoiceGrammy
    LifeChoiceGrammy Posts: 121 Member
    Great ideas and choices!!
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Cheese
    Organic Chicken Wings - I have an amazing low carb recipe if you want and it's DELICIOUS!!
    Organic Ground Beef (3 pack)
    Deli Meat
    Veggies
    Fruit
    Almond Flour
    Jerky
    Choose Foods Avocado Oil
    Pecans
    Kirkland Signature Protein Bars (they have a quest knock off that's great!)
    frozen chicken breast
    jones breakfast sausage
    sirloin hamburger patties
    green olives

Have fun - I love shopping there!
  • Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member
    If you're not in Canada you HAVE to try the Kirkland protein bars, on par with Quest but a 1/3rd of the price. Also we get Whisps there, they are cheese croutons essentially. Good light snack and great on salads!
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Heading out tomorrow to one in Tokyo, hopefully will find some of the same things here!