Personal experiences with Intermittent Fasting??

Options
queenemma12
queenemma12 Posts: 3 Member
Hey Everyone!

I am looking for some personal testimonials about intermittent fasting. I understand the concept of not eating for 16 hours, etc. I just want to know how this plays out in your daily lives?

I set out with good intentions and then forget that I'm fasting and eat because I'm hungry. oops. At least I'm not boredom eating??

Replies

• marykayking2020
    marykayking2020 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've researched the IF quite a bit and understand the science behind it. I just started Keto and don't feel like I can do the fasting "thing" just yet. I do want to try it eventually and hope it helps.
  • KristinLeeD
    KristinLeeD Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone!

I am looking for some personal testimonials about intermittent fasting. I understand the concept of not eating for 16 hours, etc. I just want to know how this plays out in your daily lives?

I set out with good intentions and then forget that I'm fasting and eat because I'm hungry. oops. At least I'm not boredom eating??

You'd have to research it further, but from what I understand (and have experienced) IF is more effective and much easier once you are 'fat adapted' because then you will not be hungry (& accidentally eat!) and you will in turn burn fat during the fasting periods. You could get more information by googling 'fat adaptation'. From what I can remember it takes roughly 3 weeks of keto (without cheats, of course) to become fat adapted. But, someone can feel free to correct me if I am wrong on any of this!
  • KristinLeeD
    KristinLeeD Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I practice IF a few times per week (mostly on the days I work because it is easier) I seem to have greater losses during those times and also IF can help to break a plateau if weight loss gets stalled.
    I have also read that for women it is recommended to not fast longer than 16 hours (unless it is occasional) to avoid muscle loss and also something to do with the absorption of nutrients and hormonal balance.
  • RegencyLass
    RegencyLass Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just started IF Keto (both Intermittent Fasting and Keto) the first of this month. I've never been much of a breakfast eater, so I started the first week doing 18:6 and sometimes 20:4. The second week I did a couple of 36-hour fasts. Last week I did my first 5-day, pure water only, fast and it was surprisingly easy. Going into it, I "knew" my stomach would just eat itself after the first 24 hours :D , but on the contrary. I didn't get hungry at all. Oh, don't get me wrong...I had cravings. Especially for my coffee - oh how I love coffee, esp with lots of milk and sugar, and a bit of hot cocoa mix added in for good measure. And as a serious pastry/sugar-holic, I am still amazed that I didn't want to devour everything in sight. But for actual hunger, there was none. And now I'm drinking (and enjoying!) black coffee like I've done it all my life. I can easily see me doing IF Keto from here on.
  • brieomac
    brieomac Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I’ve found I can function well if I extend my fast with a fatty coffee (BPC or the like). I’m losing steadily and can still chase after children in the morning.
  • TranquilaSoon
    TranquilaSoon Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    After 28 days of Keto, I am giving I.F. a try. Today, is day 2 so far so good. Getting my water in.
  • ayanabrito
    ayanabrito Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    After 28 days of Keto, I am giving I.F. a try. Today, is day 2 so far so good. Getting my water in.

How have you done weight loss wise in your 28 days?
  • TranquilaSoon
    TranquilaSoon Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My weight loss has been slow & steady, for the most part. Last week, I was at a stall. So I decided to incorporate IF, so my weight loss, after 30 days = 9.8lbs. Doing Keto before IF has made a big difference, for me...no hunger pains, no headaches.
    SW=252 lbs
    CW=242.2lbs
    Best to you!
  • TravelGurrl
    TravelGurrl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've been reading about it too. I started my Keto eating today and had planned to follow the 16:8 plan... but then I read a blog from someone who said adding in IF is a great way to break a plateau and as KristinLee says, it works better once you're in ketosis.
    With that in mind, I decided to put it off for about 2 weeks or so... or when my body tells me to try it!
  • jrmie333
    jrmie333 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Yeah a lot of people swear by it. I will try it when i stop nursing.
  • tifano
    tifano Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I've been keto for 18 months and fasting and me are not friends. I've tried it and I just can't fast. Mama needs to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner. If you need to eat then eat. The brand of keto I follow doesn't suggest any types of fasting unless it's for medical purposes.
  • bran9300
    bran9300 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I used to do IF a couple of years ago before I ever tried keto. I would fast overnight then through breakfast. Then through breakfast and lunch... I got a little carried away because I loved the feeling. I ended up malnourished and began eating regularly (badly), then gained weight. My advice to anyone, especially women, is to be careful and monitor your nutrition! It's easy to overdo because you lose weight so fast and it feels great. Currently, I am doing keto and IF, but I'm doing TRF, which is the same thing- only more tuned to circadian rhythms to optimize fat loss. I start my fast at 5 pm (instead of eating a late dinner). It's much more difficult than just skipping breakfast because I go to sleep hungry, but it's very effective. I fast minimum until 9 am, sometimes noon. But I monitor my calories, macros and micronutrients now so I don't end up sick. Long story short- I love fasting but I need to be smart about it!
  • Jennydenson
    Jennydenson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    After a few months on keto and ensuring I was getting enough fat in my daily caloric intake, IF came naturally. However, if my fat is off from the day before, I will wake up hungry. If I am hungry, I do eat and always make sure I'm satiated. I do try to incorporate fasted cardio in my daily routine, but it doesn't always work out that way with my schedule. I do recommend using the app Vora for tracking your fasting, should you choose to go the IF route.
  • ArmyMedic23PFA
    ArmyMedic23PFA Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Good morning from the UK. Names Jason, been doing Keto for a week now with IF daily. But as l have loads of shakes left from my exante diet, l tend to have one of those a day to break my fast, then have a 'real food' meal at the end of the day. Only issue is one shake is around 26g of carb!!!!. Enough of my waffle, feel free to add me as a friend
  • nomorebamboozles
    nomorebamboozles Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Like other have said above, IF should come naturally. That's how I've been feeling about it lately. I drink coffee in the morning and usually am not super hungry until 1 or 2 pm, and then I eat again at like 6 or 7. It ends up with me eating about 600 calorie meals which I enjoy. I truly believe IF would NOT work if I were working out or having a strenuous day as is. I would simply be too hungry. But as of now, I am pretty sedentary so it works well for me.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I tried my first fast Saturday. I woke up not that hungry and decided to run fasted after coffee. I got home at about 10:30 and had a big omelet for brunch. Still getting used to this.
  • carlabisong
    carlabisong Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been following Dr. Berg and his 2000+ videos on YouTube about Keto and IF. He has great information about avoiding the Keto flu, the right foods to eat to avoid hunger, etc.
    I've been losing on average 1/2 pound a day on Keto and IF. I fast for 20 hours and allow myself to eat for 4 hours.

At first it was very difficult because on my day job, there is always cake, brownies, donuts and breakfast tacos. The first week was Hell. But after I saw the scale going down everyday, I realized it was worth it to keep going. After 2 weeks I felt amazing. I've never been a morning person and now I can wake up at 5:30am and not feel like death, lol.

My focus and concentration has drastically improved. This is a lifestyle change and not a quick fix just to loose those unwanted pounds. When you stop Keto the weight and and negative side effects will come back.
  • carlabisong
    carlabisong Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Like other have said above, IF should come naturally. That's how I've been feeling about it lately. I drink coffee in the morning and usually am not super hungry until 1 or 2 pm, and then I eat again at like 6 or 7. It ends up with me eating about 600 calorie meals which I enjoy. I truly believe IF would NOT work if I were working out or having a strenuous day as is. I would simply be too hungry. But as of now, I am pretty sedentary so it works well for me.

I agree IF should come naturally after a person has broken their bad food habits. I just don't want anyone to try IF for 2 days and give up because it doesn't come naturally at first. Some of our bodies will go through an uncomfortable detox due to years of unhealthy eating.
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    I eat Keto (just started again), and usually do 18:6, and will start 23:1 as soon as I'm fat-adapted. The longer my fasts while eating LCHF, the better my weight loss.