call the wambulance

Options
So I had a planned cheat on Saturday. I had half a cupcake, a piece of birthday cake with a scoop of ice cream, and maybe 1/4 of a Stromboli (after only a protein shake that day). I was 19.5lbs down (Atkins since 3/1), and 145lbs. Last time I cheated was in April (also B-day cake and pasta), and it actually seemed to help jump start a plateau, so I wasn't worried. Just get right back on the train, right? But this time... two pounds. 2. Two, legit-two plus weeks of work-pounds. Not water weight... I'm still at 147. Just. Damn.

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. If you are eating at a deficit then you are losing weight. The scale will reflect that... Eventually. ;)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    The scale is an evil witch!
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    You definitely didn't consume 7000 extra calories with that planned cheat day (or that was some super rich cake), so you didn't gain 2 lbs of fat. You're holding water due to the extra glycogen. It will release. Just keep doing your keto/LCHF, and it will go away.
  • rkmeyer41
    rkmeyer41 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Question about "cheat days". After 90 days on Keto I'm a little nervous about how I will feel if I do cheat. I've heard and read (God bless the internet) that you can feel pretty sick when adding sugar and/or carbs in to quickly.

Any thoughts?
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I don't have any digestive or headache issues flipping between high/low carb days...though to be fair, I try to keep any cheats to a single meal and not a whole day...plus, my high carb is usually rice or potato based since wheat and I don't normally get along well anyway and I don't have much of a sweet tooth.

It's the ravenous monster hunger the following day that is the real challenge for me. A cheat meal can easily become a cheat month if I'm not careful about adherence following whatever special occasion has enticed me to cheat.
  • butterfountain
    butterfountain Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I didn't sleep well... I felt fine otherwise, and got right back to business without being too ravenous, but I've found that I sleep 100% better when I'm keto, and terrible when I'm not. My cheat night I tossed and turned, restless leg, sweaty, etc. etc. It's the only thing I can say I feel different when I'm on lo carb. I'm not one of those who feels great, more energy, etc. etc. I feel pretty much the same, but my sleep is amazing!
  • 0426Jamie
    0426Jamie Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I get SO MUCH BLOAT that makes me feel super uncomfortable after cheat meals/days. Also, if I cheat several days in a row, my tummy gets really uncomfortable and can sometimes feel like there is a rock rolling around in there. But by far the bloat is the worst effect. I have been overweight my whole life and had never experienced it before, now I do after losing 60+ lbs...it is so unpleasant lol.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I recently returned from vacation during which time I ate far more carbs than I was typically (50) eating and had no ailments. The shrimp and grits were excellent :). Surprisingly I didn't gain weight either but am always aware of calorie intake and not one to have "water retention" issues. We're all different.
    rkmeyer41 wrote: »
    Question about "cheat days". After 90 days on Keto I'm a little nervous about how I will feel if I do cheat. I've heard and read (God bless the internet) that you can feel pretty sick when adding sugar and/or carbs in to quickly.

Any thoughts?

• tayusuki
    tayusuki Posts: 194 Member
    Options

Any thoughts?

It varies from person to person. Some can eat it with no problem. Personally, I end up very bloated and sick. It's a great deterrent.

It's similar to when people eliminate cheese and then eat some after a long time if you know someone.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

Any thoughts?

I get pretty minor symptoms if I have one higher carb day. I'm thirstier and hungrier the next day. Sometimes I gain a pound or so. Carbs tend to slow my digestion so I can expect some constipation and more, ahem, volume.

I get more symptoms if I let it slide a few days: stomach grumbles, headaches, disrupted sleep, and more arthritis pain.

Ymmv.
  • rkmeyer41
    rkmeyer41 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Any thoughts?

I get pretty minor symptoms if I have one higher carb day. I'm thirstier and hungrier the next day. Sometimes I gain a pound or so. Carbs tend to slow my digestion so I can expect some constipation and more, ahem, volume.

I get more symptoms if I let it slide a few days: stomach grumbles, headaches, disrupted sleep, and more arthritis pain.

Ymmv.

Arthritis pain...that's interesting. I have just stated to notice the decrease in inflammation myself. Great benefit! Thanks for the warning!
  • lisaloumn2
    lisaloumn2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    going to a wedding tonight - plan on a glass of champagne but probably skip the cake - if they have cheesecake though I might have that.