Starting tomorrow

Options
cindy2021
cindy2021 Posts: 15 Member
Hello. Very new to Keto. Starting tomorrow and very nervous.
Is coffee ok? I drink 1 cup every morning but now not sure if it has to be black or is creamer ok?

Replies

• chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    cindy2021 wrote: »
    Hello. Very new to Keto. Starting tomorrow and very nervous.
    Is coffee ok? I drink 1 cup every morning but now not sure if it has to be black or is creamer ok?

Coffee is fine black is great if you can do it but real cream (not an artificial creamer!) is great too! Heavy cream has less carbs than half and half or milk. Welcome to the world of Keto! Basically watch your carbs keep them low, eat protein and use natural fats such as olive or avocado or coconut oil and always remember there are natural fats in fish and meats etc. Don't over think it! It does work partly because you will naturally want to eat less as you will be less hungry. Oh also keep your salt up to avoid what people refer to as keto Flu. 100% avoidable if you have sufficient natural salts. Enjoy and good luck.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    It's fun....the water is warm, jump in. Just watch the carbs and increase natural fats. Saturated fats are the most healthy now so don't fear them. Lots of good material on youtube. My favorites are the MD's that dig into the research behind why this works and what is happening to our body as we transform to this new lifestyle. I have a wifi scale that logs my weight and body fat daily. Since I started it looks like a ski slope going down. I showed it to the office and everybody said damn! almost three weeks in at this point.
  • SteveP999Tx
    SteveP999Tx Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I NEVER ever drank coffee until about 3 months in on Keto. Then I found "bulletproof coffee" and became addicted. After hanging out with some coffee nerds a couple weeks ago, I'm quickly becoming a coffee nerd and and addict.

I started with a Kureg. The biggest cup possible (breakfast blend mostly).
    2 Tablespoons Kerrygold Unsalted Butter (28g is what I measure on my scale) - i don't care for the salted.
    2 Tablespoons heavy cream
    2 Tablespoons Coconut oil (I have since switched to MCT oil which I find gives me the "bulletproof" feeling)

I pour all of that with the coffee into my blender and it comes out a nice carmel color with a froth on top. I've loved it since the first cup. It works out to about 504 calories, so you can't just drink it all day. But I have it almost every morning without fail. Fits my macros with everything else I eat in the day.

I've since attempted black coffee and have sought out the best beans, bought an Aeropress, a grinder, tried some creamers. Just so I can have more during the day. Still not quite there on straight black coffee....but I'm starting to appreciate it. Searching for my perfect (low calorie no carb) cup.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Coffee is fine... I drink about 8-10 cups a day. :D Creamer is fine but some have sugars in them (tends to end in "ose" or "extrin") which may add carbs to your diet and make it more challenging to hit your macros. Plain cream should be very low in carbs.

Don't forget to add in a lot of sodium to replace the electrolytes you will lose with water weight. You'll need about 3000-5000 mg a day (2300 mg sodium = 1 tsp salt).

Good luck. :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I NEVER ever drank coffee until about 3 months in on Keto. Then I found "bulletproof coffee" and became addicted. After hanging out with some coffee nerds a couple weeks ago, I'm quickly becoming a coffee nerd and and addict.

I started with a Kureg. The biggest cup possible (breakfast blend mostly).
    2 Tablespoons Kerrygold Unsalted Butter (28g is what I measure on my scale) - i don't care for the salted.
    2 Tablespoons heavy cream
    2 Tablespoons Coconut oil (I have since switched to MCT oil which I find gives me the "bulletproof" feeling)

I pour all of that with the coffee into my blender and it comes out a nice carmel color with a froth on top. I've loved it since the first cup. It works out to about 504 calories, so you can't just drink it all day. But I have it almost every morning without fail. Fits my macros with everything else I eat in the day.

I've since attempted black coffee and have sought out the best beans, bought an Aeropress, a grinder, tried some creamers. Just so I can have more during the day. Still not quite there on straight black coffee....but I'm starting to appreciate it. Searching for my perfect (low calorie no carb) cup.

That works out to a good sized breakfast. ;) LOL

I had to cut back on my fats in coffee. I drink a lot of coffee and wanted the creamy goodness in more than just one cup. ;) I do a modified BPC with some cream and maybe half a teaspoon of coconut oil at most. I just put mine in a travel mug and shake vigorously.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I drink plenty 'o coffee, and it has not seemed to make a difference. My first cup of the day has 2 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream in it.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I have always been a black coffee drinker. I drink about three or four cups at the house and then get a 11 oz cup at the office. This week I started adding a tablespoon of MCT oil to my first cup. It is colorless and tasteless so it is an easy add. You can youtube it to see why it helps to get fat adapted.
  • cindy2021
    cindy2021 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    I have always been a black coffee drinker. I drink about three or four cups at the house and then get a 11 oz cup at the office. This week I started adding a tablespoon of MCT oil to my first cup. It is colorless and tasteless so it is an easy add. You can youtube it to see why it helps to get fat adapted.

Actually just ordered it. Didn't know it could go in coffee. Will definitely add to my coffee when I get it. Thanks!
  • sykin
    sykin Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee every morning :) I had to alter what I put in it, but I still drink it all the time. I order something different when I get it from a cafe now. I get an iced americano and ask for added heavy cream. most places have it. If they don't, I just ask for added half and half then. I am a "omg don't let me coffee taste like coffee" kind of person. LOL but I've gotten very used to my drips and americanos with 2 tablespoons of either half and half or heavy cream :)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee (decaf) all day every day. Whatever I put in it I just add to my calories. For weight loss I stayed in a calorie deficit. For maintenance I hover around maintenance calories.

The year I did MTKD I used HWC versus my preferred half and half or whole milk cuz lower in carbs and higher in fat. During MTKD I did drink bulletproof with coconut oil and/or MCT cuz my MTKD was definitely high fat. I neither gained nor lost weight (as intended) because I ate maintenance calories.

Macro balance affects my satiety not my ability to lose or maintain (scale weight or observable body fat). LCHF is a plus to my satiety. I'm currently experimenting more with that (macro balance).

If coffee keeps you from eating more calories overall it is most likely a plus to weight loss efforts.
  • Kerschel
    Kerschel Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    nothing wrong with coffee on keto as far as I know. I do a modified (lower fat) bulletproof at about 8 a.m. and then don't need to eat until 2. Then, I have dinner at 7 and don't eat again until my coffee in the a.m.
  • Kerschel
    Kerschel Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    don't be nervous. I like this WOE (although my weight loss has been slower than most) because I don't feel hungry and I don't think about food all the time. Just watch out for keto flu. I had a massive dose cause I didn't know about the sodium/electolyte depletion.
  • h121093
    h121093 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm restarting keto today too! I've tried this before back in 2015 and i only lasts 3 months. I hope I'll be able to pull through this time, with the help of this community's support. Wish me luck!