How did you decide it was right for you?

Options
MomOnAMission76
MomOnAMission76 Posts: 200 Member
Hi all, I am almost 37 and have been obese since I was in high school. I am 5'7" and about 270. Despite tracking my calories, I still manage to gain. My endocrinologist (who treats my thyroid, I am not diabetic) said that she thinks my metabolism is sluggish, which is why me and my 160 lb husband eat the same things and have vastly different bodies. In the past, I've been able to lose weight on about 1400-1500 cals a day, but I always struggle to stick with it because I am hungry with that level of calories. I never thought I would even consider surgery but the older I get and more I struggle, I wonder if it might make sense to me. How did you decide surgery was the right decision for you, vs. losing weight without? Given how hard it is to lose weight, I just don't know how I'll ever get down to my goal weight, or even under 200 lbs.

Replies

• DietingMommy2008
    DietingMommy2008 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I have been overweight most of my life too due to Hypothyroidism. I would kill myself dieting, only eating 1200 cals a day and working out nonstop daily only to take months and months to lose any amount of weight that was even close to noticeable. I was always against the surgery, had the misconception that it was the lazy way out, however when I was pregnant with my last child my thyroid got worse and I got hashimotos. I had to open my eyes and realize that I needed help and if I was gonna do it, I should just do it now. I had surgery in April 2018. Best decision so far and I feel like its something that I should have done years ago instead of convincing myself otherwise.

Only you know whats right for you though and make sure you do your research, its far from an easy journey and its only for so many.

If you have any questions, my inbox is always open.
  • fit4sho42
    fit4sho42 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi, glad you posted this. I have the same question. I am at the beginning of my weight loss journey with the gastric bypass surgery. I just had my consultation. I decided it was best for me because of my age and the simple fact that I don't have anymore time to waste on these diets and I could use some help. I hope I could gain some insight from people on here who have already had the surgery. Please feel free to add me.
  • lindsaygoins
    lindsaygoins Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I got sleeved this past February.
    I was born with club foot (feet turned in and pressed up against the insides of my legs) and I went through extensive corrective surgeries, limiting my activity as a child and young adult. With poor eating habits, I ballooned up to almost 300 lbs. Because of the weakness in my ankles and the tremendous weight I was putting on my feet, I became wheelchair bound. I lost my independence and legitimately got afraid - I had only just turned 26 at the time and I couldn't take care of myself! I decided to go for the sleeve because just changing my diet wasn't enough and I couldn't increase my exercise; the doctor said if I even stood for more than 30 minutes at a time I could seriously damage my feet/ankles, so I definitely couldn't pick up running/jogging or anything.

I am so thankful I moved forward with my surgery. I've already lost approximately 100 lbs and I don't even need the wheelchair anymore. I can walk and drive just like a normal person!

Getting this surgery wasn't a decision I made lightly; there are a ton of sacrifices involved - but I knew if I didn't do something extreme, I wasn't going to be able to rescue myself from the fat slowly building up around me.
  • ylc0208
    ylc0208 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi....I am 38 and been overweight all my life. I have tried every diet and exercise regimen out there. I would loose wt. but I would always gain it back or would loose a couple of pounds and no matter how hard I exercised or how much I limited my calorie intake I would not loose any more. I have hypothyroid (on Synthroid 200 mcg and was just referred to an endocrinologist). I started my journey in May when I decided that I had enough of the wt., back pain, low energy and feeling awful. I just started my pre-op diet today, having an EGD Thursday and surgery is scheduled for the 20th. It is important you have a support system and excellent healthcare team. I know this is the best decision I can make for my health and future.
  • frau5
    frau5 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the honesty of this thread. I'm just starting my journey and don't have a surgery date yet. I've been overweight since the age of 6 and have tried numerous diets and exercises, but the weight loss never lasted. I'm now 59, morbidly obese and in a lot of joint and back pain. I finally realized that getting the surgery is not a cop out. For some of us it is a necessity to give us the tool to help us get to a healthy weight. I don't know yet all the changes I will have to make and continue for the weight loss to remain off after surgery but I'm researching that. I decided to have the sleeve because I want to keep my intestines intact.
  • faythe621
    faythe621 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I had weight loss surgery (gastric sleeve) on 3/17/2015, so about 3 and a half years ago. My highest weight was 320 and I'm 5'5". I contemplated having surgery since the birth of my second child in 12/2010, but didn't actually do it until over 4 years later. I wish I had done it sooner.

My metabolism, like yours, was very sluggish and I could only lose weight naturally through extremely limiting diets that left me feeling starved and weren't sustainable. I had PCOS, hypothyroidism, insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome. My knees and back were in pain. I couldn't keep up with my kids. I was done being so obese.

After surgery, I lost 143 pounds and kept that off. I then got pregnant with my third child and gained back approximately 40 pounds after he was born in 1/2018, which I am working diligently to lose again. But even with the regain I am SO HAPPY I had weight loss surgery. I KNOW FOR A FACT I could not have lost the weight any other way and I definitely wouldn't have been able to keep it off.

If you are struggling with the decision to get surgery, if you've tried everything else, if you are ready to start over and have educated yourself on what having the surgery will entail, then GO FOR IT. It isn't a magic pill, you will still have to work for your weight loss. But it is an amazing tool that can help you reach your goals if you are committed.

Hope this helps!
  • hippie_spirit
    hippie_spirit Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with high blood pressure and was pre-diabetic. I decided "this is not how my story is going to end" ... so after gaining and losing the same 20lbs for years, I decided to have the Sleeve surgery. Best decision ever! Wish I would have done it years ago.
  • time2change1111
    time2change1111 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I had my sleeve surgery in August 2017.

Best decision I’ve ever made in my life.

The reason I did it was after years of being obese and failing at every weight loss program I needed a helping hand to drop my weight.

So far I’ve lost 70 kg (155 lbs) - still have more to go, I’m so happy with my decision.