Diet Doctor website

Options
Riche120
Riche120 Posts: 154 Member
Does anyone pay the subscription fee to the Diet Doctor website? It looks like there are a lot of good lectures available for members. Is it worth the price?

Replies

• TomKershawUK
    TomKershawUK Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Some of the video lectures on there are very good, so I'd recommend it. You have a 30-day trial on sign-up anyway.
  • tiffanynelson411
    Options
    I have a paid subscription. I love it... lots of videos that help keep me focused and new content is added monthly. I recommend it! :smile:
  • Riche120
    Riche120 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I'll take your advice and go for it. :smiley:
  • ArmyMedic23PFA
    ArmyMedic23PFA Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I have just paid for the membership, happy so far. What are the best keto based groups on here
  • 2Bhealthier2
    2Bhealthier2 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to join too.
    I have just paid for the membership, happy so far. What are the best keto based groups on here

I'm not sure which ones are the best here but there is a Ketogenic Forums I was part of that you may like too. Here is the link: https://www.ketogenicforums.com/c/newbies
  • kyubeans
    kyubeans Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    The free content on DietDoctor has helped me so much... I think I'll go for the paid membership too. Thanks!
  • catherineg3
    catherineg3 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I signed up for the free 30 days and was binge watching the videos for that month. It’s great content and I feel like it’s got good science behind it. I’m not good at following meal plans but you can get access to those as well with the paid plan
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I joined too because that Diet Doctor website was sooooo helpful to me at the beginning of my keto journey.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    I like the free content on that site. I do use youtube.com to find most of the low carb conference videos, along with Intensive Dietary Management website, it also has paid and free content. The free stuff is excellent. I tried dietdoctors free 30 days, and found I didn't really use the videos there that much. So I didn't continue. I also use a lot of podcasts to get my information. 2ketodudes, KetoWoman, and Obesity Code are my favorites. But there are other good ones as well.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    https://dietdoctor.com/calling-all-low-carb-doctors-sign-a-letter-protesting-misinformed-reporting

Calling all low-carb doctors: sign a letter protesting misinformed reporting

I was glad to see this effort making news. This is not just for doctors.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    https://dietdoctor.com/calling-all-low-carb-doctors-sign-a-letter-protesting-misinformed-reporting

I find that ironic considering that site has a lot of misinformation on it.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

It does. There is one link of theirs I do use about telogen effluvium for people who get freaked out when they lose some hair a month or so into low-carb due to sustained weight loss. But once they aligned with Fung, they lost my support.

I think that in one perspective, to those who just need to start somewhere, it can be helpful. For those folk, any improvement is going to be good. Following their plan can be a good transition into LC. But my experience, and that of many many many others I have seen, that that's just not enough. Calories count, whether or not you personally have to count them. Some people get appetite suppression that helps them keep their intake down. I never did, and 3 months in I had to start counting calories too to continue weight loss. I've also gained and maintained weight while in ketosis. Ketosis or LCHF does not guarantee weight loss. It's a biological condition in the body in response to decreased carbs below a certain point. Fasting doesn't guarantee weight loss either. But fasting while ensuring a deficit would.

I confess that since they incorporated Fung and others, I haven't kept up with what info they offer though. If the nature of time changes, and I suddenly get enough time I might investigate all that is not locked behind a paywall now.

@psuLemon What other misinformation than what I have mentioned are they perpetuating?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

It does. There is one link of theirs I do use about telogen effluvium for people who get freaked out when they lose some hair a month or so into low-carb due to sustained weight loss. But once they aligned with Fung, they lost my support.

I think that in one perspective, to those who just need to start somewhere, it can be helpful. For those folk, any improvement is going to be good. Following their plan can be a good transition into LC. But my experience, and that of many many many others I have seen, that that's just not enough. Calories count, whether or not you personally have to count them. Some people get appetite suppression that helps them keep their intake down. I never did, and 3 months in I had to start counting calories too to continue weight loss. I've also gained and maintained weight while in ketosis. Ketosis or LCHF does not guarantee weight loss. It's a biological condition in the body in response to decreased carbs below a certain point. Fasting doesn't guarantee weight loss either. But fasting while ensuring a deficit would.

I confess that since they incorporated Fung and others, I haven't kept up with what info they offer though. If the nature of time changes, and I suddenly get enough time I might investigate all that is not locked behind a paywall now.

@psuLemon What other misinformation than what I have mentioned are they perpetuating?

It's been awhile since i have been on this site, but IIRC, its largely behind the don't count calories and then have a video of doctors promoting that.
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Diet Doctor was one of the first sites I found re LCHF. I do think it provides a wealth of information for beginners and a free one month trial of the site lets you have access to all their information.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

It's been awhile since i have been on this site, but IIRC, its largely behind the don't count calories and then have a video of doctors promoting that.
    supergal3 wrote: »
    Diet Doctor was one of the first sites I found re LCHF. I do think it provides a wealth of information for beginners and a free one month trial of the site lets you have access to all their information.

I don't disagree. It was nice before when it was all free. I'm guessing they had to create the paywall to get the other big names to sign on. Dollah bills...

The site tries to make it so that you don't have to count by providing meal plans, IIRC. Some plans are less strict. And the more strict ones are for those not losing weight on the regular LCHF plans or with a medical advise for a particularly low carb level. That's a fab idea. (Not being sarcastic.) But it doesn't work for everyone, which hampers those it doesn't work for and they don't see progress so they give up. Why doesn't it work for everyone? Because some people don't get the appetite suppression and regulation from low-carb and they are eating too much still, but the site doesn't say that, or at least didn't when I kept up with it. Why I wasn't losing anymore was something I had to figure out myself with the help of Reddit's r/keto.

They just fail to outright say that if you stop losing weight even though you are militant about carbs, the problem is you are still eating too much to lose weight and that portions need to be cut.

But his isn't a problem with just Diet Doctor. The whole internet is rife with misinformation on low-carb.

So, yeah, it's a good site for beginners, as long as someone is around who's been around and lets them know what to do if things stop working for them. I guess that keeps the forum with a purpose. :smirk:
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Comments on LCHF remind me how everyone can be wrong at the same time on the same subject. :)

http://abc6onyourside.com/news/local/keto-diet-trend

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/mar/06/low-carb-diet-may-reverse-age-related-brain-deterioration-study-finds

Not sure why the first link does not connect. Both are good when I paste them directly into Google.