Nightmare Dreams

Options
72happy
72happy Posts: 14 Member
Is it normal to have nightmares on keto diet? For the last 3 days i had the worst dreams you could think of, and when i wake up in between and go back to sleep it just carrying on. Would like to know if is just me or do others have the same problem and does it go away?

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I once had a dream where I ate ALL the carbs! Does that count?
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I have had weird sleep issues since starting it a month ago--I felt like I had overdosed on caffeine at first and couldn't sleep at all, and lately I have been sleeping extremely well and having vivid dreams. Not all nightmares, but extremely vivid. Honestly, I've always been a bad sleeper and sleeping BETTER is probably resulting in me having any dreams at all...prior to this, I would dream about sending work emails and other exciting stuff.
  • 72happy
    72happy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Nice dream to have FIT Goat did you grain aswell in weight :D
    i am just hoping mine will stop soon, as they are not nice dreams.
  • KetoKasey
    KetoKasey Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have sleep issues as well when I'm on keto. I have vivid dreams any way, but they definitely intensify on this diet. I had a particularly bad dream last night. I seem to have a more relaxing night of sleep if I take Natural Calm before bed. The magnesium seems to help.
  • oearl20
    oearl20 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am glad I googled this and then looked more into it. I started Keto again and have been having nightmares for the last three nights and they are getting worst. To the point I have even stopped eating meat. Last night i dreamed of being assaulted and was so afraid I could not sleep alone. I am going to look more into this now. Thank you everyone!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    No weird dreams here.
  • rkmeyer41
    rkmeyer41 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Funny I should see this thread today. I had two of MFP friends show up in my dream last night! I always dream a lot...but yes they do seem more vivid.
  • rich41n
    rich41n Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Strangely I've had very vivid dreams this week since going back on Keto after a short break (falling off the wagon). I typically don't have vivid dreams and usually don't remember details. I never would have thought of Keto as being the cause but who knows.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    I went through a phase maybe 6 months into keto where I had very vivid dreams. They were not bad so much, but they were very vivid. This seemed to have passed after a few months, but I think they are back. Like others, I am not sure if it is keto related.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Just thought about this and one of the benefits of keto is fat that can be used by the brain. This could be a side effect based on how many of us are having similar comments.
  • DW1Texas
    DW1Texas Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Also had vivid dreams for the last few weeks after starting keto. Nothing too scary but I also take zinc and mg and turmeric before going to bed - seems to help me sleep better even before starting keto.