Sedentary Life Style On Keto

Options
Moratu
Moratu Posts: 22 Member
Hello, everyone! Just a quick summary about my journey. I have been around MFP for quite a while, and have gone up and down in weight for just as long. At my heaviest I weighed 325ish, and since taking responsibility for my life style and weight, I managed to get down to 213. As I type this, I have gained some weight back and sit at 250 on average. I discovered Ketosis and intermittent fasting a couple years ago, and although I have gone out of Ketosis here and there, I've never looked back. I suffered from social anxiety pretty heavily, and Ketosis (coupled with proper sleep and intermittent fasting) has almost completely eliminated unnatural anxiety for me. Needless to stay, I am a fan. I didn't realize it at the time. but looking back on the weight I did lose, I was most likely in accidental Ketosis!

Life and my viewpoint on it has changed substantially lately with the passing of my mother. I have decided to take my health more seriously, but I am in a bit of a pickle. I work at home as I run a business, and although I try to walk for at least half an hour every morning and do strength training 3 times a week, I am finding it difficult to lose weight. I don't have the time (or in-job exercise) to lose weight as easily as I used to. This is frustrating me (which increases cortisol YAY) because I used to be the guy that everyone asked for advice on losing weight, or fellow keto warriors would clamber to with questions.

In short, I am nervous about being sedentary. Any advice, support, or shared experiences would be much appreciated. Thank you all.

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I am generally sedentary at work but get a little activity by placing the printer in the next room. If I need to go into a store I park on the far side of the lot. Those are just minor things I do. The major one are getting up at 4:30 AM to run and often walk a mile at lunch. If I plan exercise for a time I am not already committed I can fit it in.
  • tifano
    tifano Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I wonder if you’re not eating enough. Would you mind sharing your macros?
  • fdhunt1
    fdhunt1 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree we need to see your macros and maybe share your diary. I am about as sedentary as you could get and I am still losing, albeit slow. And , I'm an old fart, 61. But my mantra is slow and steady as she goes. Also, what shoots me in the foot is I like my cocktails. But even with two vodka martinis it's enough to slow my fat burning. I really need to go on the wagon, and my weight loss would probably take off.
  • Moratu
    Options
    Thanks for the input! I was set to 1600 calories a day up until my mom passed. I was losing about a half a pound a week up until then, which is REALLY slow for me. At the time I had my macros at 5% carbs, 80% fat, and 15% protein. I also wasn't exercising or walking as much, so I was extremely sedentary. This was about two weeks ago.

Just before I made this post, I changed my macros so that my carbs are 15% (43g), fat is 50% (64g), and protein is 35% (100g), with total calories being 1145. My reasoning is that I am now properly fat adapted so I shouldn't ingest as much dietary fat so as to pull from my own stores, and I raised my protein since I am now doing strength training again.

I have been testing myself every day, and my ketone tester had me at 1.0 mmol this morning. I was at 3.0 mmol yesterday morning, but I decided to have a pretzel bun with my burger yesterday in the late afternoon (no regrets there). I am definitely in keto, and I made sure to stay under the daily limit of carbs I need to stay in (my body can't go any higher than 45g-55g or I get kicked out completely). I am very aware of hidden carbs and test myself anytime I become unsure of my keto status.

Thanks again for the help, everyone. Does this all seem correct? At best I get in an hour walk a day. The rest of the day I am stuck at my computer. I just started strength training this Monday, and I'll be doing it 3 times a week. It's nothing spectacular, just a 20-30 minute workout to get my strength back to where it was a couple years ago when I was lifting. I look forward to your thoughts and opinions!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    total calories of 1145 seems really low for a guy, particularly if you are strength training

mine for August are around 1100 and I'm a middle age girl and that's a severe reduction for me that I will not do longer than a month

normally I lose about 1 pound a month with about 1500/day (I calorie/carb cycle so it's not consistent from day to day)

I'm doing a severe cut right now because I have not been logging much over the summer (such a beach bunny), so I've been eating too much (and having too much wine) and gained a few pounds. But if I stick to my goal and track diligently, then I'm still losing on 1500/day average and gaining some muscle in the process.

Strength training 30 min 3x/week plus walking (where possible), that seems more like lightly active than truly sedentary.
  • Moratu
    edited August 2018
    Options
    By definition, even with me walking an hour every day, and strength training 3 times a week (MWF at home with no equipment, using my body weight), I am truly sedentary, not lightly active. I may average around 8000 steps a day, as I am literally sitting all day long besides when I get out to walk for an hour or I am sleeping. It's just the nature of my job right now. And none of that is an excuse. It's just how things are for now, and I have accepted that.

I do agree that 1145 seems low, but I have never been sedentary before. I am hoping that lowering my calories temporarily will get me back to where I was before. Unless my definition of what sedentary is incorrect?
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    These are the definitions I use:

Sedentary (little or no exercise)
    Lightly active (training/sports 2-3 days/week)
    Moderately active (training/sports 4-5 days/week)
    Very active (training/sports 6-7 days a week)
    Extremely active (twice per day, extra heavy workouts)

I get them from my Leangains calculator:
    https://rippedbody.com/how-to-calculate-leangains-macros/

I guess if you are using a different calculator, then you could be using a different standard, but I was under the impression that "sedentary" as a standard meant basically no exercise.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Since you're talking steps, take a look at the plethora of websites that define sedentary, lightly active, etc via step count. Generally speaking they all state close to the same. Here's one example (scroll down on the site a bit):

https://www.verywellfit.com/how-many-pedometer-steps-per-day-are-enough-3432827.

8000 steps a day is more than sedentary even if they're just steps around the house from here to there and the mailbox. As a reference, if I don't get out and go for a walk or just get out of the house...I get ~3000 steps per day. That would be sedentary. :/
  • Moratu
    Options
    Thank you, tcunbeliever and kpk54. This is helpful, as I misunderstood what sedentary indicates. Although I am on my butt most of the day, I am actually lightly active (as long as I take my hour walk) and didn't realize it.
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    So, you said when you had your macros set to 1600/day you were losing 1/2 a pound a week.

Why change it? Seems to me like it was working, so I'm just trying to understand why you feel compelled to tweak it and cut it down more. Was that 1600 easy to adhere to? Is your logging super accurate?

I always leave a +/- 200 cal window for mine because I know I am not 100% accurate at logging since I don't weigh my food I just use cup measurements.
  • Moratu
    Options
    When I said half a pound a week, I was averaging as a guesstimation. Some weeks I would lose weight, other weeks I wouldn't. And since I have another 60 pounds to lose, half a pound a week seems extremely low considering my body fat percentage. I wouldn't say it is hard for me to stick to. I don't really get hungry at all. Being that I am lightly active, the only time I actually get hungry is after I have coffee (little bit of stevia), during fasted morning walks, or after I have something that is pretty carby (maybe once a week). Between fat adaptation in keto and intermittent fasting (I eat my calories within a 1-3 hour window from 3-6pm) I rarely feel a stomach gurgle from hunger.

To answer your question, "Why change it?", I don't want to lose only half a pound a week on average, and I want to make sure I am losing weight every week. I am fat adapted, sleeping well, eating correctly, and want to make sure I am burning body fat as best as possible. Basically, I would prefer to lose more than only 1/2 a pound a week. I am not talking anything crazy like 3+, but something healthy such as 1-2 pounds. I realize that it will get harder to burn fat the leaner I am, but I am currently between 25-30% body fat. I am a pretty big guy still.

A side note: I also use cup measurements, so I am not nearly as accurate. I should utilize the same system you do for a safety net on measuring.
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    In theory you can only metabolize about 1% body fat in any given week - which for you is about 2 lbs. So, if you drastically cut calories it does sound like you can achieve a greater loss, and I'm totally jealous that you are not hungry...I feel like I am hungry ALL THE TIME since I cut the calories down for August...maybe by the end of the month I'll get used to it.
  • Moratu
    Options
    I'm totally jealous that you are not hungry...I feel like I am hungry ALL THE TIME since I cut the calories down for August...maybe by the end of the month I'll get used to it.

For me, the hardest part if not snacking. Being a naturally anxious person, if I am bored or have a lot of energy, I want to eat. I know I'm not hungry, but I also know how much I enjoy food and eating is always an easy thing to do. Are you doing intermittent fasting?

Does anyone else have input to give? I would love to hear more experiences or opinions.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    To be perfectly blunt: no guy weighing 250 pounds should be eating only 1125 calories a day (perhaps unless medically supervised) especially when getting in 8000 steps a day and lifting weights regardless of how light the weights might be.

You need to eat. Seriously. Authority Nutrition is not the greatest source in the world but it at least sites some evidence based research. Adaptive thermogenesis is real. This article starts with "Eating too Few Calories".

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/6-mistakes-that-slow-metabolism#section2.

I know folks get in a hurry to lose their excess weight but what does it matter if one gains it back? Take your time and learn along the way (that whole lifestyle "thang") so you can keep it off...which is the real struggle.

My condolences to you regarding the passing of your Mom. Whether it was 2 weeks or 2 years ago, I know the sadness and loneliness it can bring. Kudos to you for getting back on track.
  • asuroxychick
    asuroxychick Posts: 4,358 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I found this group. . I know I don't have much to contribute as in knowledge as I'm learning myself. Thanks everyone for sharing theirs ☺
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    @Moratu I don't have anything to contribute to the comments about activity etc I just wanted to say I was sorry about your mother's death, must be hard for you at this time.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I think that 1100 is too low for long term losses. It puts me of a mind of that recent biggest loser study where they found the people's metabolism had permanently slowed because (they hypothesize) of the large caloric deficit. It's thought that a more modest deficit won't have the same effect.

My guess is that your losses slowed because of stress (I'm sorry for your loss). It sounds like you've had a hectic time, and it is proven that stress and fatigue will slow losses down. You might have to wait out your body settling down again.

I know poor health (hypothyroidism and autoimmune issues) and injuries will also slow my losses down. I could be eating the same as before but the affect on my weight ends up quite different. Stress and lack of sleep do the same. Meditation, relaxation, adequate sleep and good nutrition might help you out more in the long term that a large calorie deficit, KWIM?

Your protein level looks good enough. I would just eat a bit more of the fatty meats and let your calories creep back up to about 1500 or more. Maybe consider eating to your appetite. Let some days be 2000 and others be 1200 or 1600 or 2500. Just aim for an average calories that is less aggressive... I lost my 40 lbs using 1500 kcal and I was a sedentary to lightly active middle aged woman. As a man, you should be able to eat more than that 1100, especially you can make conditions in your life favourable to losing.
    Good luck! :)

• tcunbeliever
    Options
    I generally don't do more than 6 weeks at super low calories...then I do 2 weeks at maintenance before flipping back to either super low or more moderate depending on my immediate goal. For August, it's super low to quickly lose what I quickly gained over summer, before it starts getting too attached to me. I may do another sharp cut mid-september or beginning of october through halloween just to look stunning in my Tank Girl outfit...there are definitely hormone impacts to going super low for more than 6 weeks and I don't want to get sucked into that land war in asia.

The year I was Harley Quinn I spent like 6 months flipping between super low calories and maintenance, 6 weeks low, 2 weeks maintenance...the low calorie weeks were hard but the maintenance weeks were like heaven, and it got me mostly where I wanted to be (the belly, I always have the mom belly no matter how much I lose)...that was before I tried calorie cycling, I do find it is easier to do the lower calories with the cycling just because it's never more than 2 days that I'm not eating as much and eating more after lifting definitely seems to blunt the crazy hunger that I typically get the day after lifting.

Much of last year was a low carb version of Leangains, which worked really well (lost 5% body fat), but then I switched in the fall to keto for migraine control, and now I have kind of meshed them into a keto carb/calorie cycling thing. This year the focus was mostly on gaining some muscle and really the first time I have deliberately tried to sculpt my body shape with my food/exercise plan and had a goal to make my body look a certain way instead of just losing weight...which I feel really good about even if it has taken the entire year to grow like an inch on my arms, but my legs and glutes look super stunning.

so...the point of all this rambling is...there are a lot of options out there, some will work better for your life than others, and some your body will respond to better than others, track what you do and what results you get...not just the metrics like weight or inches, but also how you feel, how well you sleep, how much energy you have...those can also be good indicators of how successful your plan is...and if something isn't working, if you aren't getting the results you want, try a different plan...everyone is a little different, and the best way to figure out what works best for your body and your lifestyle is to try it, track it, and review it...
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,609 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I get about 8000 steps a day just doing my job. I don't lift or do specific workouts. I will walk to the post office if the weather is good. I have lost 134 lbs and am maintaining these days with a calorie limit of 2000. I am staying keto. As I was losing the last 50 lbs or so, I was at 1600.

I will say, there is a certain amount of figuring out what works for you. It is not so formulaic as many of the sites would have you believe.