I'm looking for little things that count

Options
PamamaJane
PamamaJane Posts: 288 Member
I had a really good bit of success this past week and owe a lot to @baconslave and the LC Back to Basics challenge for August. This is the first time I've actually attempted to do a challenge for more than 2 days in a row.

Part of trying to be serious about this included something that seems so little it shouldn't really count. I got out two 10 pound dumbbells and moved them around; if I was going from the living room to the bedroom, I'd carry those dumbbells from the sofa to the bed. If I picked up laundry and walked to the laundry room, those dumbbells went along for the trip. Later, I'd pass by the laundry room, pick them up and take them to the sun room or kitchen or wherever I was headed. They got moved between six and a dozen times each day. That's all!

I'm now looking for other little things to incorporate into my routines when walking around my house, doing housework or anything, actually. Any ideas?

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Just fidgeting can help. If you sit to read the paper, bounce your foot or play with your fingers.

Other little things like park far away and taking the stairs can help. If you go for a walk, pack a big heavy water bottle.

Congrats on your success so far. :)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    This is a good one if you just want to add more movement time:

https://darebee.com/programs/totals-program.html

You do the exercises in increments of 5-10 so you can fit them into your day wherever you have a spare 30 seconds.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Ugh, this is such a challenge for me. I am a total beast at the gym but I do NOT fidget. I am amazingly good at being very still. My husband can't sit still and is "naturally thin" and so are most of his family members (fidgety and thin!) which means holiday dinners are much better buffet style with this crowd! ;-) I try to be extremely active on the weekends and work out every day to compensate. I do find I lose more weight when I have reasons to do a lot of non-workout movement, like cleaning, grocery shopping, even just spending the afternoon outside with the kids.
  • jsand74
    jsand74 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Moving dumbells is such a great idea! I squat as I load the dishwasher. It is an exaggerated movement to put a plate in there but it helps! If I am just standing for some reason, I will do calf raises. I also try to get up and walk in place or do a few lunges or jumping jacks during commercials if I am sitting to watch tv.
  • PamamaJane
    PamamaJane Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    All very good ideas. Thanks, everyone. I'm going to post a list of these on the fridge until they become habits.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Standing instead of sitting whenever you can...even waiting in a doctor's office or at the pharmacy, DMV, etc. Do this reasonably. If your posture starts lacking, then sit down.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    While watching tv, have dumbbells near by so you can do over your head shoulder lifts,bicep curls, tricep kickbacks.
    Use a swiss ball when using the computer, really works the core muscles. Our laundry is 2 floors down from the closets, so my clothes are one trip my husband's a second, but I could easily carry both at the same time just gets some stepping in. I also have claimed the ensuite bathroom in the far bedroom as "mine." If I have to go, I have to go all the way to the back of the house. In the garden I do squats while pulling up bindweed, that is really a workout. I also use this video to get myself moving when I feel lazy, takes just 4 mins. helps build muscle.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwJCJToQmps&t=0s&list=PLAXDjhi2TonLhywR96ilcZsggtRHvqMP1&index=48
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    @retirehappy This is really good. When I used to go into the city often, I parked on the higher floors of a multi-story parking lot, and used the stairs rather than the elevator. Not such a regular occurrence now, but it's what I do if I ever go anytime.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Personally, I try to park as far away as possible when I'm going somewhere, I try to take the stairs if it's less than 4 floors to where I'm going, and I try to intentionally get some movement daily meaning even if it's just a walk around the block...not a 3 mile run...I've done it intentionally because I want to get more movement in my day.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    mmultanen wrote: »
    Personally, I try to park as far away as possible when I'm going somewhere, I try to take the stairs if it's less than 4 floors to where I'm going, and I try to intentionally get some movement daily meaning even if it's just a walk around the block...not a 3 mile run...I've done it intentionally because I want to get more movement in my day.

Parking far away helps with steps and helps to avoid door dings. But in storm season it is depressing to come outside to find it is pouring rain.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    And sometimes, It's just too damn sweaty outside to park that far away from the AC of my car and the AC of the building. I like the extra steps, but not at the expense of butt sweat.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    In the south we call it swamp *ss.
  • 23rochelle23
    23rochelle23 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Squat (and hold) while you’re brushing your teeth - (can also extend this to washing hair/hands/face etc)
    Unpack dishwasher one item at a time
    If you have stairs in your house then double step them (walk up two, down one, up two, down one etc)