Options
mrad16962
mrad16962 Posts: 12 Member
Hi Everyone, I am Melissa and am new to MFP. I had signed on in 2015 but never really got going with it all. Im 55 years young and am trying to lose body fat and retain my muscle . I lift every day and am doing Beachbody' BODY BEAST along with spinning. I workout at home in my inhome gym in our basement it is becoming quite the gym too. I would love to see some real results and see if I can really attain a strong athletic maybe even stage ready physique.. Im at 153lbs now..would like to get to 119lbs. by May 2019. Starting WT:168.8lbs CW: 153.0lbs GW: 119lbs HT:5'3 I did MY MACROS and that has me at 1421 calories and Im trying to do it all as exact as possible. Its not easy and I dont want to get discouraged using MFP like I did the last time..lol

Replies

• UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,082 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard, Melissa! There are plenty of folks in your situation and a good, supportive group here!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,759 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Melissa! (That's also my rowing double partner's name ;) ). With the work you're putting in, and patience/persistence, I'm betting an athletic physique is in your future. The 15 pound loss so far is a great start - congrats!
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Lots of lifters here.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options
    Hi, Melissa! You'll find lots of support and encouragement here. I like to lift heavy things myself. :)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Muscles weigh something. Why make a goal of a certain weight? Why not just eat right and exercise?
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Welcome x
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Congrats Tony! Good for you Melissa! Melissa, just remember it's a marathon not a sprint. Gradual changes in habits bring giant changes in health/weight long term but don't put too much pressure on yourself. I find that's why people quit. They try to do too much at once.

I read a powerful article last year. It was a study on habits. If people try to change just one thing a month, they have around an 80% success rate. If they try to change two things or more, the success rate is less than 40%. I see people all the time on MFP trying to change like four or five things at once -- that's tough to do.

If I was doing weight loss all over again, I'd just work on logging my food for the first month, then add in some more consistent movement in the second month, while still logging. Then perhaps more fiber or more vegetables the third month. Gradual, single monthly changes stick.
  • RetireeWanabe
    RetireeWanabe Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello! I just joined the group too. Trying to talk myself into getting serious about my health. I will be 52 the end of August and around 168 currently. I usually lose during the week, then gain during the weekend. Vicious cycle. Thanks for letting me join the fun!