New to FODMAP diet and need Lunch ideas

Options
00Angela00
00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
I'm on day 4 of the fodmap diet. I'm finally starting to notice a difference although there's certainly other foods that seem to bother me (tomatoes for examples). Anyhow ... I work outside the home and have two little ones at home, so I've been struggling with meal planning particularly figuring out what to pack for lunches. Any suggestions?

Replies

• kaycurtis63
    Options
    When I first started on the FODMAP diet a year ago it was difficult but I managed to stay with it and it was so worth it. It will take time to get into the swing of things. I try to have some foods already cut up and in the refrigerator in case the urge to snack comes up that way I know that I am eating the right thing. If you like salad try spinach and or mixed greens with some protein like chicken. I use oil and vinegar/lemon juice dressing and add my own spices. I have different ones I like to use like rosemary or a dill one. I need to be gluten free but you could try sandwiches. I have had success with the Rudi's or Udi's brand of bread. Or if you are intolerant to wheat check the labels on your bread to make sure it is FODMAP friendly. I make up my own soups in advance and freeze them into individual size servings. Those are a few lunch ideas that have worked for me. Hope that helps. ~Kay
  • cidalia73
    cidalia73 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Wheat is a tough one for IBS and makes it hard to use the old sandwich standby. I find if I limit my wheat intake, I'm fine. For example, eat a wrap instead of a regular bread sandwich. Add a protein, some leafy greens, cucumber, light dressing, etc.

You didn't mention if you have access to a microwave at work. That will make a difference in what you can pack, including re-heatable leftovers.

Ideas: Gluten-free pasta dishes or pasta salads / rice with a protein side and steamed "safe" veggies / Potato with flavoured tuna (I love Spicy Thai Chili tuna) / wraps / salad loaded with protein like a boiled egg, some cheese, etc. / thin crust or gluten free crust pizza (I use the gluten free box mixes and bake the crust a bit before adding toppings and re-baking) / omelette with fodmap-safe veggies / oatmeal (homemade from scratch is better...I once had those packet ones for lunch, and OMG, I was running to the loo the rest of the night) / egg salad wrap with low-fat mayo / homemade asian inspired soup with rice noodles (keep the cooked noodles and liquid separate until lunch time) / a "snack" lunch: cubed cheese, meats or other protein, and fodmap-friendly cut up fruit and veggies / gluten-free crackers or rice crackers.

Some ideas to get you started. :)
  • Kallie3000
    Kallie3000 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, so you could add meat to update this, but my lunches are:
    - 3/4 cup quinoa
    - 1 cup roast vegetables (peppers, carrots, celery, yam, parsnip, or other veggies from the 'ok' list)
    or 2 cups raw veggies (spinach, peppers, cucumber)
    - 1/4 package tofu, or a hard boiled egg
    - 1 tbsp hemp hearts
    - 1 tbsp chia seeds

I also eat:
    - 3/4 cup greek yogurt with 1/2 cup strawberries, blueberries, or 1/2 banana and chia seeds/hemp hearts
    - gluten free steel cut oats with some almond milk, seeds, and fruit (usually blueberries)
    - Spinach salad with egg, red peppers, maybe strawberries, cucumber, and vinegar for dressing
    - Rice and veggie stir frys, using olive oil infused with garlic, and usually cilantro and a dash of cumin and lemon juice for flavor

I'm just just starting too, but so far the food has been fun to make - I miss my curries and pizza though... most of these meals are the ones my dietician recommended, so hopefully it will help you?
  • Sweet725
    Sweet725 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you do have access to a microwave the ziplock steamer bags are fantastic. You can fill with fish or meat if choice and veggies and throw in microwave for a quick meal,
  • rebeccaahola894
    rebeccaahola894 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I make sushi for lunch just make sure everything you use to make it complies :)
  • OregonRunner5
    OregonRunner5 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I have a boiled egg and protein shake :)
  • earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    My favorite lunch is a big salad with some spinach/other safe veggies, some salmon/tuna/other seafood, and oil and vinegar. Low FODMAP, healthy, and low calorie!