Large size clothes NOT designed for someone short!

Options
2»

Replies

• miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Even when I was the proper weight, clothes never fit right. I had the good luck to be short (5'2" before I started shrinking) AND have a very large bone structure (wrist measurement is Men's Large) and muscular. I call it my German peasant build- got it from the German side of my family. Anyway, back when I cared about what I looked like, I made ALL my clothes. My picture is of me thin and I am wearing a blouse that I made. That way I could make sure things fit in the shoulder, were full enough in the upper arms and thighs, but not baggy everywhere else. Now that I am old, not dating anymore (all the good ones are taken at my age), and fat I just wear baggy so I don't have to contend with tight clothing across the rib cage and upper arms. I hate feeling constrained there. I have found that frequently "petite" sizes in pants are just shortened in the legs, but that the waist comes up to my bra! If I could find clothes that fit I might care more about what I look like but it just isn't worth the time to deal with it- I would rather spend my time reading, gardening, or taking care of my animals! (I run a cat rescue.) I also have men's 4E width feet, so shoes have always been a huge problem for me too!
  • JustMe2C
    JustMe2C Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have German heritage from BOTH sides of the family, so I hear ya on the short AND stocky. Makes it rough, but it is what it is.

I just can't find clothes I like that are my size. I guess short obese people isn't a concern for most designers. *sigh*
  • hufflepuffunderthestairs
    Options
    For anyone in the US, Aeropostle's Short Petites jeans are the absolute perfect size for someone around 5'1 (like myself). They are the only jeans I have never had to hem up. I've worn them from my used-to-be size 5 up through my current size 12 (hopefully that won't last much longer!). I am currently about 160 lbs, but I want to build muscle, so my weight isn't an accurate indicator of where I want to be. Better to say, I'm at 40% body fat, and I want to be around 22%, so there's a ways to go! But I have found that men's medium shirts work well in terms of fit/shoulders/not hugging the belly like women's clothes like to do.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I struggle sooo much with pants because of the leg length-in order for them to fit around my butt and thighs, they are horribly long and I cannot hem. Those Aeropostle pants-what's the inseam? I have found I need a 26 in inseam, however most "short" or "petite" pants sizes are a 28.
  • gloriaomk
    gloriaomk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Group! Glad to be here. 4" 10". Was size obese 2. Buying size 22. How did I ever get there! Now about to lose 2lbs to be just overweight range. BMI dropped by 5. Lost 32 lbs.Dropped several dress sizes. Oh the feeling of packing them away and buying new clothes. My work jacket - the shoulders are way too big. Scoop or v neck tops are too revealing. Camisoles sooo spoil the style, don't they. I hem trousers but try to find the more flattering tapered leg ( Asda). Cheap enough to buy a pair every month or so as the weight comes off.
    We shorties have smaller shoulders, never seen a petite bra lol.... Straps Always slipping down.
    MFP is great!!! Please feel free to add me as we continue our journey.
  • judymata
    judymata Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I know the short struggle is real. I am 5'1. I find the majority of my pants and slacks at Wal-Mart believe it or not! The riders brand has a short that fits perfectly as well as the George line. Old Navy used to have short but no longer have them in stores. Lane Bryant has short but SO expensive. Good luck to you!
  • sidlondon
    sidlondon Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Even when I was skinny, I had this problem. I ended up either buying kid's clothing, learning to tailor my own clothes and/or getting things custom made. Although I've noticed more shops starting to do 'petite' ranges now, which helps a bit. I can still never get tops that have 'sensible' length sleeves. The long sleeves cover half my hands, 3/4 sleeves end just before my wrist, and t-shirt sleeves always make my shoulders look big! :neutral: