New Here

Options
0ysterboy
0ysterboy Posts: 192 Member
So I'm not quite 60 (turned 59 in March), but I recognize that aging necessitates altering my workout regimen a bit and welcome some advice on my journey. A bit about me: I began doing triathlons about 8 years ago. I am a lifelong swimmer and biker, and when I lost 30 lbs 10 years ago (using WW) started running as a way to get a more intense workout in a compact amount of time. Since I was then doing swim, bike, and run for regular workouts doing tri's was obvious.
Fast forward 8 years and I know I need to tweak my workout regimen. Biking (a combo of spin and road riding) is fine as is swimming (usually 1 swim - 1400 yards/week). Running is what gets me in trouble. I have gained back some of the weight I lost 10 years ago, and am really trying to get serious about re-losing it as I know the importance that has on my health (much of the weight gain occurred during a three month recovery from a running induced injury). That aside, I am thinking that two 2-3 mile runs/week sounds about right. Those of you that are runners will understand that running is awesome exercise but it does come with a price.
What sort of running volume are members here doing? Also, how are you handing weight training? I just would like to get some advice on workout regimens (largely aerobic-based) that will best fit the goal of healthy aging.

Replies

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    A belated welcome Osterboy, I am just now seeing this May posting, not sure what is up with that. My amount of running is 0. Never liked it, so never did it.

I hope someone else here who does run has responded to your inquiry. There are some on going runners groups, if you search
    running
    within groups, not at the main community page search, you should find a number of them coming up. If you do search on the main community page then the message board thread stuff will come up to, but those start and stop pretty much at random. The group pages are better for ongoing support in general.

All the best on getting yourself all sorted out.
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Welcome, @0ysterboy - I have to say, I don't run but I do cross-country ski. Off season I use a ski machine. I also like the elliptical machine for offering a challenge which doesn't hurt my knees.