looking for advice/input please...

Options
lacerka963
lacerka963 Posts: 14 Member
started doing keto on June 12th... have lost aprox 10 lbs so it's going well... at least I feel it is... however in last week I have been getting hungry ... unfortunately I don't always stay on track with my calories and macros but do feel it is on average acceptable...
the hunger does not occur every day, nor same time in the day
usually consume 1 gal H2O daily... calories 1500... macros 5% carbs...70% fats... 25% protein

I have about 100 lbs to lose yet so don't think it is anything to do with body telling me enough weight loss.. lol.. but at a loss as to why the hunger...

when did keto in fall 2016... never experienced hunger and within 2 mns had lost 25 lbs..

Replies

• auggi99
    auggi99 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Keep up the good work! For me tracking my food/macros on here helps a lot. If I feel hungry and I check my fats. If they are low for the day I eat something fatty. If they are on track I drink a power aide zero or a calm drink. (http://naturalvitality.com/natural-calm/) because my electrolytes are off. I hope this help! Keto-on!!!
  • brieomac
    brieomac Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    lacerka963 wrote: »
    . unfortunately I don't always stay on track with my calories and macros but do feel it is on average acceptable.
    I’ve been on Keto since June 22 and have had a similar experience this week. I am giving my macros a closer look and adherence, since I suspect something I ate (or didn’t eat!) has kicked me out of ketosis.
    Good luck and hang in there...I’m also in it for the long haul!
  • lacerka963
    Options
    brieomac wrote: »
    . unfortunately I don't always stay on track with my calories and macros but do feel it is on average acceptable.
    I’ve been on Keto since June 22 and have had a similar experience this week. I am giving my macros a closer look and adherence, since I suspect something I ate (or didn’t eat!) has kicked me out of ketosis.
    Good luck and hang in there...I’m also in it for the long haul!

yea I'm reviewing things also.... thanks... in for long haul too...
  • jrmie333
    jrmie333 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    For me it usually means that i did not ate enough and that my fat intake is too low and my carbs too high. I agree tracking is hard but so far it has helped me realized how many bad choices i used to make and how much food I use to eat. Also here to loose close to 100 pounds.
  • ebonydivine
    ebonydivine Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    started doing keto on June 12th... have lost aprox 10 lbs so it's going well... at least I feel it is... however in last week I have been getting hungry ... unfortunately I don't always stay on track with my calories and macros but do feel it is on average acceptable...
    usually consume 1 gal H2O daily... calories 1500... macros 5% carbs...70% fats... 25% protein

I have about 100 lbs to lose yet so don't think it is anything to do with body telling me enough weight loss.. lol.. but at a loss as to why the hunger...

when did keto in fall 2016... never experienced hunger and within 2 mns had lost 25 lbs..

You might not be eating enough fat .. try 75% fat and 20 Carbs.. see how that feels
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    be vigilant with counting calories, keep count of your macros and make sure you are eating enough fat, drink water, take mct c8 oil daily with supplements and stay off the scale. If you are eating under your maintenance calories, you will lose weigh so trust the process.
  • frankiem1207
    frankiem1207 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm 6 weeks in and had a stall at week 3-4 ,they say it's your body adapting to the new life style. Mine lasted a week . Sometimes the scale does not move ,but the inches come off. Measure yourself☺
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend checking to be sure you're getting enough fat with each meal/snack
  • jarelary4
    jarelary4 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have noticed too that if I overdo the carbs, like last night I had fries with my salad and last week I had pizza, I feel like I'm starving. On the other hand - when I stick to my usual meals of a protein shake for breakfast and a good protein rich meal for lunch I feel so much better and I'm not starving before dinner. I just started 3 weeks ago and my weight loss is at 7 pounds since starting. Bodies and metabolisms change too. I had easily dropped 40 pounds 2 years ago and this time my weight loss is much slower than before. But I feel less cravings for junk food and carbs on Keto. Keep up the good work and you will get there!
  • lacerka963
    Options

You might not be eating enough fat .. try 75% fat and 20 Carbs.. see how that feels

The problem is I have IBS.... one of the triggers for me is fat....
  • rhb1918
    rhb1918 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    please share the ratios for carb, protein and fats. I'm a newbie to the keto plan.
  • rhb1918
    rhb1918 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    can someone recommend a calculator for the ratios?
  • GrannyGoes4it
    GrannyGoes4it Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I Googled free keto calculator, there were several I compared several and picked from a couple that were similar it is working. I am new but I think after you go down in weight and up in age you would recommend calculate or maybe when weight loss slows down
  • teresamwhite
    Options

That's tough...though quite a few articles do indicate that a keto diet over time does help with IBS symptoms.

Lets start with what kind of fats you are currently consuming, 70% of your diet is currently comprised of these products, and as you are sticking with it, those fats aren't bothering your system. Are they dairy free fats, like avocadoes, oils, nuts, and seeds? Or nut free fats, like eggs, olives, olive oil? Or do you eat a range of fats?

Some fats that are pretty gentle on the system are things like avocado oil, grapeseed oil, and flaxseed oil. Maybe try making a homemade mayonnaise or salad dressing with one of them and see how that affects you...Let me know if you need a recipe, I'm happy to share...

• KristinLeeD
    KristinLeeD Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    rhb1918 wrote: »
    can someone recommend a calculator for the ratios?

My favorites where I have gotten macros with the best results for me are on mindyourmacros.co and ketogains.com
  • KristinLeeD
    KristinLeeD Posts: 218 Member
    Options

When I am hungry it is usually one of the following:

My electrolytes are low. It is especially important on keto to keep your sodium, magnesium and potassium levels where they should be. When hunger hits, additional sodium can often help - a bowl of chicken broth, etc.

I have fed my cravings. Feeding cravings makes them even stronger. Often, even keto acceptable 'substitutes' (like things with nut flours, etc) make your body crave more food just like eating a 'real' piece of bread. The substitute may not sabotage your results because it falls into your macros, but it very well may leave you hungry sooner.

Not enough fat for satiety. I don't eat a lot of fat on the version of keto I am on, and if I fall under my limit, it is okay with me, because for me, fat is a limit, not a goal. But if I am hungry, it is often because I did not get enough fat, so eating about 50g of an avocado usually helps.

I have also found that when I started counting macros by grams rather than percentages, it was easier. This is because you can have your percentage ratios in line, but be way over in calories when you are tracking by percentages.

For example, for my height, my daily macros are 100P/68F/20C (I do a lower fat version of keto, as I can't do the high fat versions) At those macros, my calorie count will always be the same. If I stick to my macros, I don't have to worry about counting calories.
  • lacerka963
    Options

That's tough...though quite a few articles do indicate that a keto diet over time does help with IBS symptoms.

Lets start with what kind of fats you are currently consuming, 70% of your diet is currently comprised of these products, and as you are sticking with it, those fats aren't bothering your system. Are they dairy free fats, like avocadoes, oils, nuts, and seeds? Or nut free fats, like eggs, olives, olive oil? Or do you eat a range of fats?

Some fats that are pretty gentle on the system are things like avocado oil, grapeseed oil, and flaxseed oil. Maybe try making a homemade mayonnaise or salad dressing with one of them and see how that affects you...Let me know if you need a recipe, I'm happy to share...

Mainly I use olive oil and ghee... sauteed with coconut oil for veggies a recipe would be most helpful for keto mayonnaise... I use avocados alot for my tuna salads etc.
  • teresamwhite
    Options
    @lacerka963 -here you go!

BASIC MAYONNAISE
    1 egg
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1 cup oil

Put egg, lemon juice, salt and spices (if you are using any) into a food processor, and pulse until blended.

Turn the processor onto medium speed, and drizzle the oil very slowly into the processor tube. Once all the oil is incorporated, let it run for another 15-20 seconds. It will keep, in an airtight container, for about 4 weeks in the fridge.

You can use whatever oil you like, and the recipe works just fine. You can add seasonings to it to your taste...I usually add 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder, and 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard powder. My brother just adds a teaspoon of lemon pepper. You can also use a blender, immersion blender, hand mixer (the hand mixer will take a long time), or whisk it by hand (this takes foreeeeevvvveeeerrrrrr).