Avocado??

Options
tammyfranks2
tammyfranks2 Posts: 290 Member
why can I not eat these , not in any form , makes my stomach hurt and I mean double over in pain hurt !
only food I know in my life that has done this to me . so WHY? anyone know ??

btw no hives or any kind of allergic reaction , like shortness of breath or break outs ....just pain in my tummy .

Replies

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    My guess...its probably the fiber content. Fiber does that to some people and no you don't need fiber for optimal "gut health." My body doesn't like too much fiber for the same reason!!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I agree. Fiber makes it feel like I ate a cheese grater
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Same here with the avocados.....LOVE guacamole, but if I eat more than one taste I am miserable the rest of the day.

Always sort of wondered about it too.....I do have digestive issues if I eat too much of any crunch raw vegetable so maybe it is the fiber!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    It could still be an allergy (or sensitivity?); for some people the main symptoms are digestive. And I'm sorry; I love avocados and would be sad if I had to give them up!
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Agree it could still be an allergy.

I'd check cross-sensitivity with other tropical fruits as well as Latex allergy/sensitivity. I was given this advice by an anesthesiologist when I identified Latex as an issue. There are good research studies showing links.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    why can I not eat these , not in any form , makes my stomach hurt and I mean double over in pain hurt !
    only food I know in my life that has done this to me . so WHY? anyone know ??

btw no hives or any kind of allergic reaction , like shortness of breath or break outs ....just pain in my tummy .

Out of curiosity I just Dr. Googled symptoms of allergic reactions. 4 of 5 articles listed stomach pain as a symptom so I stopped searching with that. I'd be more inclined to point my finger to avocado in general more than fiber if other fiberous intake does not cause you stomach pain. JMO.

Here's one article:
    https://www.foodallergy.org/life-with-food-allergies/food-allergy-101/symptoms-of-an-allergic-reaction-to-food
  • tammyfranks2
    Options
    Thanks Everyone , yeah I will read the article and even ask the doctor about it , but fiber in veggies don't seem to bother me only the avocado .
  • rich41n
    rich41n Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Same thing happens to me but probably not as painful as you describe. Does this happen with bananas too? I was tested a few years back and came back positive for allergy to bananas.....avocado is in the same family of allergies. This is all very unfortunate because I love both of them : (
  • tammyfranks2
    Options
    rich41n wrote: »
    Same thing happens to me but probably not as painful as you describe. Does this happen with bananas too? I was tested a few years back and came back positive for allergy to bananas.....avocado is in the same family of allergies. This is all very unfortunate because I love both of them : (

yes I have not eaten a banana in a year or more because of it......me too I love em .
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Apples and peas do that to me.... Lots of raw produce does too. :(
  • jogetsgains
    jogetsgains Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Raw apples and bananas make my throat itch and almonds rip up my stomach 😒
    All adult-onset, too. Never had any issues when I was younger.
    I think low carb has actually helped the symptoms though. I had some raw applesauce a while back with no itch. My nasal allergies are better, too. I think cutting the carbs has helped with inflammation and histamine response.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Don't forget FODMAPS issues. Avocado oil is OK (no FODMAPS) but the fruit itself usually is not tolerable for more than 1/8th of a fruit - which sux if you like them.
    https://verywellhealth.com/are-avocados-good-for-your-ibs-1944995
  • RenaPink11
    RenaPink11 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I can’t make myself eat avocado. I’ve tried and the taste gags me.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,685 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    All adult-onset, too. Never had any issues when I was younger. I think low carb has actually helped the symptoms though. I had some raw applesauce a while back with no itch. My nasal allergies are better, too. I think cutting the carbs has helped with inflammation and histamine response.
    I have many inflammation/histamine problems: iritis, dermatitis, arthritis and an adult onset dairy sensitivity. My arthritis has stopped flaring up (it's intermittent so I can't guarantee it's the diet, but... y'know... may be)! Trying to get a friend who's in real bad pain to try this. Hadn't thought about the diet affecting my dairy problem... hmmm... may raise the courage to test that... I wonder if the diet affects gut flora. Now I'm curious to google some studies...

• tammyfranks2
    Options
    @PaulaKro Share all info !!!! I know my back still hurts , but my hands don't tingle anymore , my knees are a little better and I can walk easier then I did (arthritis) so I do think it is the diet . The more I lose the better I feel . I have a long road ahead of me , but I will get there. thanks everyone for the convo and info .
  • poli22
    poli22 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    The keto diet is an anti-inflammatory diet. So if you have inflammatory issues, the diet should help.