Living The Lifestyle Monday 8/13/18

Options
imastar2
imastar2 Posts: 5,994 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate, and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for August are:

Monday - Imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - Jerdtrmndone (Jerry)
Wednesday - minimyzeme (Kim)
Thursday - goldenfrisbee (Chris)
Friday - misterhub (Greg)

Today's topic: Status quo menu vs Mixing up your menu. Does it help you with a change periodically?
Are you bassically really happy with your daily menu.? or is it just too much trouble to change or try new items.

Replies

• gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty satisfied with my daily menu. I don't have to give it much thought. Every once in a while I will go off in search of a new recipe or two. Or dig out one I haven't made in a while.

I'd rather spend my time bike riding/hiking or plotting new bike routes than meal planning. Autopilot works pretty well for me for my food intake.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,568 Member
    Options
    I am actually developing a menu plan to meet my wife's low carb needs for her blood sugar. But normally I like to try at least one new recipe a week. But I am relearning a new list of go to dinners, popular dinners, and ideas to try. Last night was a Pork Stew with Peppers (ortega). It was excellent, low cal, low fat, low carb. But I need to have a list for the week for shopping and planning.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,481 Member
    Options
    My capacity to eat the same stuff over and over is substantial. Breakfast is always the same except when traveling. I have a 2 or 3 basic lunches, 2 or 3 basic dinners. Every now and again we do something different. Life is good.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,262 Member
    Options
    I like variety. So, I do need to change up my menu on a regular basis.
  • Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,699 Member
    Options
    I try to have different foods each day. As for trying something new , not so much.
  • FatCrankyGoat
    FatCrankyGoat Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie and looking at some lifestyle changes, including eating habits. It's not that I ate poorly or a lot of junk food, it's more along the lines I have no concept of portion sizing. My wife is highly supportive and we are looking at spiralized vegetable noodles instead of pasta (of which is one of my great nemesis).
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,095 Member
    Options
    Status quo staus quo works for me. rinse and repeat. It does drive my DW crazy for sure. I really do eat the same breakfast every day and very often same lunch and dinner. I do love it when I get the energy/inspiration to make some tasty different stuff. Just doesn't happen often.
  • FatCrankyGoat
    FatCrankyGoat Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    podkey wrote: »
    Status quo staus quo works for me. rinse and repeat. It does drive my DW crazy for sure. I really do eat the same breakfast every day and very often same lunch and dinner. I do love it when I get the energy/inspiration to make some tasty different stuff. Just doesn't happen often.

I love the idea of routine meals - it just makes things so much simpler. However, I'm too much of a foodie and love new taste experiences. It's not that I eat crappy foods, nor am I into packaged junk foods, it's portion size that I literally have no conception of. Wasn't a problem when I was in my twenties and thirties, but now in my early fifties it seems that I just need to look at a nice gourmet meal and I pack on the pounds!
  • savignr
    savignr Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is minimal for me and lunch is very consistent for me now that I am home every day. Typically a sandwich and a 100-150 calorie snack like Cheez-it’s. I cook dinner and draw from well over 30 cookbooks so a lot of variety there.
  • linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    I usually eat 2 meals a day. And I often disregard the traditional time to eat something, ei. eggs for dinner or a salad for breakfast are both fine with me.

While I often eat the same things for awhile, I eventually move on to something else. And I love to try new things!
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,994 Member
    Options
    I like food and have in the past eaten at least the same foods mostly for breakfast however I the lover of foo that I am do better by mixing up my food menu. Example I can eat BBQ and then not want it for 2-3 weeks. I know that it has a high fat content as well so I am discouraged to eat too much of it too often. much like many people love pizza and tend to over eat it or eat it too often. I am not a huge fan of pizza but if I do eat it I find myself not knowing when to stop.

So to sum it up I'm more of a mix it up menu type person and don't have the time or don't take the time to do new recipes. @FatCrankyGoat and I seem to have similar food habits.

SW 400.8
    CW 342.6😀
    Next GW 300.0
    Final GW 185.0

58.2 lbs Total lost

• Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,058 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    TOL and I are pretty routine. Same breakfast and lunch most days. Dinner a rotation of favorites, along with an occasional "special" or new recipe (usually either a fish or real nice steak).