Kitchen Gadgets

Options
misterhub
misterhub Posts: 6,253 Member
What sort of kitchen gadgets do you use?

Most of the year (while working) I live in a second floor apartment, which has no air conditioner. Not really needed most of the time. But, the heat rises, and it makes cooking uncomfortable. So, I have begun to stock my kitchen with kitchen gadgets that cook without heat.

I have a slow cooker, a rice cooker, a microwave, and an air cooker. I will be buying a multi-pot, with a pressure cooker, very soon. This helps to alleviate the heat while allowing me to cook healthier food choices. Otherwise, to be perfectly honest, I likely would buy something and bring it home rather than turn on the stove or oven.

What is your experience?

Replies

• Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,033 Member
    Options
    Second to our microwave our toaster/convection oven is the fave. Does a real good job, wether in regular oven or convection setting with minimal heat generated into the kitchen.
  • misterhub
    Options
  • misterhub
    Options
    Three things you can cook in a rice cooker besides rice.

https://blog.bedbathandbeyond.com/2014/04/one-pot-perfection-rice-cooker-meals/
  • FatCrankyGoat
    FatCrankyGoat Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    We use a Vitaclay slow cooker - very tasty stews, one reason why I love the fall season. Just got a new spiralizer for our kitchenaide mixer - eating veggie noodles and much less pasta nowadays.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I love my trusty old crockpot! Just made beef stew in it yesterday. Tonight I'll start up a chicken enchilada concoction that will cook while I sleep.
  • savignr
    savignr Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Crock pot is a staple for me. Had an instapot about a month and still getting used to it but so far so good. Next up might be an air fryer.
  • aarongregory417
    aarongregory417 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I like using a sous vide for low heat cooking... you do need a vacuum sealer as well to make it work... between the two gadgets and a large enough container, you’ll be out about $250-$300... but it makes the best chicken breasts and other fun proteins. The Serious Eats website has a ton of tips for using sous vide methods for various types of foods. One of my favorites is short rib - 36 hours!
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,924 Member
    Options
    in order of most use
    1. Microwave
    2. Babecue grill I have both gas fired and a weber charcoal model depends on what I am cooking
    3. Toaster ( not toaster oven)
    4. insta pot, only had it since xmas but its become a favorite
    And number 1 hands down a really good set of kitchen knives