Living the Lifestyle Tuesday 8/14/12018

Options
Jerdtrmndone
Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,701 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate, and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for August are:

Monday - Imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - Jerdtrmndone (Jerry)
Wednesday - minimyzeme (Kim)
Thursday - goldenfrisbee (Chris)
Friday - misterhub (Greg)

Today's topic: Failure
You’ve probably heard the saying “ failure is just a detour not a dead end”

How do you handle yourself when you are thinking you failed at anything?
( 1 ) Do you totally give up on yourself and never try again and be discouraged or just forget
about it completely?

( 2 ) Do you take the detour and get to the road to success no matter how long it takes and feel like you accomplished something?

Replies

• misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,280 Member
    Options
    I reassess and try to figure out if there is a way to regain any ground. Failures are rarely complete. There is usually a way to take a partial victory, at least, which can then lead to subsequent success.
  • Jerdtrmndone
    Options
    ( 1 ) Do you totally give up on yourself and never try again and be discouraged or just forget
    about it completely? This is never an option for me. I will never set myself up to fail.

( 2 ) Do you take the detour and get to the road to success no matter how long it takes and feel like you accomplished something?

There are times that things have not gone the way I'd like so I will just take a step back to regroup and then tackle what ever I was trying to accomplish and succeed. My weight loss journey is full of detours ( like a maze trying to find the way to the exit ) so some day I will get back to were I want to be.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,009 Member
    Options
    1. I never give up on myself.
    2. I do usually take another road to get to success.

I look at failures as the next step toward success. I reset or reassess then move forward. Most of the time I will move forward even more aggressively toward my goal or to fruition. I know as a general rule what action I have to take to keep from failing especially with weight loss.

SW 400.8
    CW 341.4😀
    Next GW 300.0
    Final GW 185.0

59.4 lbs Total lost
  • misterhub
    Options
    Thomas A. Edison: “I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.” “Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.”
  • Jerdtrmndone
    Options
    @misterhub Thomas A. Edison: “I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.” “Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.

Who would realize.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    about it completely?

Tough question without a little more context for me so I'll apply it to weight management. I feel like I haven't "failed" unless I abandon ship and don't bother using any of the techniques I've learned to do so.

Having read GOAD pretty thoroughly and had success with WW from the start, I haven't stopped in the few years I've been doing this. That is to say I don't consider that at any time I've "failed". I may have gone off my plan for a day or two, but really no more than that. Once I started seeing the benefits of life in a smaller body, I realized I'd rather do what it takes to live that way than go back to my eating and drinking habits from 'back in the day'.

I will say that the lessons from WW and weight management sometimes guide me now in other aspects of my life as well. I can more readily break tasks that seem overwhelming into smaller chunks and just keep working away at them instead of just giving up on them. It's not universal for me, but it's a more viable path to success than it used to be for some things with me.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Pretty deep question! My short answer is that I'm a firm believer in "when one door closes, another one opens". Sometimes I think the universe is just steering me to a different path than the one I thought I should be taking.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,483 Member
    Options
    about it completely?

I spent about 15 years brooding. Like a snowball downhill, my defeats were accumulating, failures in one area were bleeding into others. I gained 100lbs.

Unlike a lot of people, I weighed myself regularly all the way up to 285 lbs, like I was waiting for the upward trend to magically stop. I had a fantasy of losing weight but fear of failure kept me from pursuing it. If I tried and failed, I’d lose lose the comfort of my fantasy. Didn’t forget though. I was stuck in my rut, head down pushing on but filled with dread.

Don’t consider myself a religious person, but in a particular moment of despair, I was delivered. No other way to put it. Like a movie running in reverse, the snowball started rolling uphill, getting smaller.

I eventually found my way to the gym. That’s where I learned the power of incrementalism. I think I’m genetically wired for tenacity. Taken too far it’s just stubbornness, but tenacity and incrementalism together are powerful. It’s how I made goal weight and stay there.
  • misterhub
    Options
    @misterhub Thomas A. Edison: “I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.” “Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.

Who would realize.

It's all about tenacity. That's what results in success.
  • aarongregory417
    aarongregory417 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Sometimes after experiencing a defeat/failure, I try to sit with the frustration and disappointment for a few days rather than immediately trying to pump myself up for the next step. I feel like if I move on too quickly I’m not really dealing with the loss and it just sorta builds in the back ground. At the same time, I have to remind myself not to get stuck in that down place and that at a certain point I’m gonna need to bootstrap it and move on to the next challenge. This gets easier with practice. I feel like I spent a lot of time in my life glossing over the dark stuff without ever dealing with it and eventually it just found its way to the surface in unhealthy ways.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,099 Member
    Options
    Not quite either path. My dad use to say when I stumbled and fell "come here and I'll pick you up". Ya just get up and keep on keepin' on. Yes I slipped away from a bunch of diet schemes and ideas prior to WW but somehow just have stuck with it. I didn't think of it or me as a "failure" although I obviously slipped away.