Living the Lifestyle (LTL) - Wednesday, 8/15/18

Options
minimyzeme
minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate, and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for August are:

Monday - Imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - Jerdtrmndone (Jerry)
Wednesday - minimyzeme (Kim)
Thursday - goldenfrisbee (Chris)
Friday - misterhub (Greg)

Today's topic: How easily are you "lured away" from your weight management plan?

For whatever reason, the ad on this page for me this morning is for baked goods from some bakery (I think) whose name I can't read. That got me to think about how easy (or tough) it is to stay the course with weight management when we're constantly bombarded with temptations, whether it's billboards, ads on TV or internet, smells coming from "eateries", or even shopping at your local market.

Share with us how you typically manage navigating the day with the suggestion of temptation at so many turns. For the purpose of discussion, let's exclude the party or dinner out event since we often discuss that. This question is more about your challenge when you fully intend to stay on-plan, but somehow cross path with the suggestion or display of some of your favorite foods.

Replies

• minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    For the most part, anymore I tend to be able to avoid the temptations. I think advertising, suggestions and smells used to be way more powerful forces that lead me to eat and drink mindlessly back in the day as opposed to now--in my fourth year of WW.

It didn't used to take much to lure me in. Seeing an appealing ad (for a burger and fries, for example) or smelling a tray of fresh baked goods could very easily be all I needed to move to the next step mindlessly: I'd have one, two or maybe even more of whatever it was. It didn't really matter whether I was hungry or not. It was more like an automatic connection between triggering my desire and fulfilling it. Or it just built on the habit I had developed: see it; want it; eat it. It was impulsive eating. The advertising or even just crossing paths with the opportunity often worked.

As I began working my WW plan, mindfulness started to interrupt those auto-impulse reactions. Advertising or opportunity might pique my interest. It might tempt me, but I learned to slow way down on my reaction. Usually, by doing so, I could let that instant gratification desire pass long enough to make an informed choice in favor of my weigh management goals. As time has gone on, that's more and more the case. Today, it's really pretty rare for me to let myself be led astray by advertising or opportunity of what used to be tempting foods. I prefer to prioritize being able to enjoy the NSVs of life in a smaller body.

It's all about choices...
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,977 Member
    Options
    It depends on a couple of factors for me, never go in to a grocery store hungry, that will normally be a perscription for disaster for me. Also just walk on by the bakery or candy shop do not let the smells & sights lure me in. Now the vacation or dinner out is still a major challenge for me, but the billboards & ads on TV don't bather me.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,280 Member
    Options
    My biggest problem, at the moment, is trying to fight cravings. I'll get a taste in my brain, and I can't rid of it until I satiate that taste. If I am smart, I can satisfy the craving with just a small taste. Unfortunately, I do not always act as smartly as I actually am.
  • linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    Sunday we got up at 6am to start working on our move. I had 2 slices of cheese all day and at 8p we were still going strong unloading our second load. My cousin brought over moist, rich, delicious chocolate chocolate cake (I know this because my son is not that fond of reg cake, but said it was amazing - he inhaled his piece -, plus this cousin "knows" cake!).

I wasn't even tempted to eat my piece, although I did smell it, yummmm! We put the leftovers in the fridge uncovered and I tossed it the next day. This was the biggest test I've had and I had no problem, so I can say confidently, that I'm not easily lured away. I'm loving how I'm not hungry or tempted on this program! I'm still not sure if it's the honeymoon phase or the program, but for now, I'll take it!
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    My ongoing weakness is the "free food" that randomly shows up in the breakroom at work. Usually nothing that I would go out of my way to buy, but if it is there then I'm very tempted.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,100 Member
    Options
    I use to walk around places like cinnabon in the mall and avoid the smell. No point in putting too many temptresses in front of me. Now I mostly do better with temptations (not always for sure).
  • Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,701 Member
    Options
    I can walk away from the smell of food. If I am face to face with a food I like, the challenge begins. This depends on were my emotions or stress is at the time. If I am just passing by I am usually ok. If I can't get away from it in time I will give in.
  • aarongregory417
    aarongregory417 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    misterhub wrote: »
    My biggest problem, at the moment, is trying to fight cravings. I'll get a taste in my brain, and I can't rid of it until I satiate that taste. If I am smart, I can satisfy the craving with just a small taste. Unfortunately, I do not always act as smartly as I actually am.

I had a thought about cravings recently - like how to figure out the difference between cravings and hunger - and I came to recognize, for myself, that I can tell the difference between hunger and a craving by asking myself if a healthy option, like a salad, would be satisfying... if the answer is no, I’m dealing with a craving, not hunger, and I should probably let the craving pass before making a food decision.

Cravings are tough though! It’s like they just get more and more until you just give in! One piece of advice I received recently that I found helpful was that while giving into a craving and alleviate stress, making the choice not to give into a craving can also alleviate stress if you practice recognizing your accomplishments.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,009 Member
    Options
    Ads not much. In fact I have grown to dislike ads for one simple reason. When I get to the restaurant, grocery store, or packaged foods they all seem to disappoint me and DW. They just don't measure up to the ads so I disbelieve at least 90 % of them.

On the hand smell is a totally different situation. I can walk through the mall and smell cookies being baked or cinnabons being cooked and have to totally avoid that area. Another trigger is the Red Hot sign ON when I go by Krispy Kreme donuts. Just have to turn my head cause their pure sugar icing.

Waking into the house after fresh brownies are baking in the oven Oh my gosh that's a smell I can't resist. Good news is, if I use portion control and eat only one thats good but that takes a huge amount of self control also know as will power.

SW 400.8
    CW 343.4😀
    Next GW 300.0
    Final GW 185.0

57.4 lbs Total lost