Stuff you're proud of

Kohanai
Kohanai Posts: 172 Member
Hey! because I love stories, list what you're proud of. Whether you did it recently, or a while ago, just list stuff.

Replies

• Kohanai
    Well, I PRd 3 lifts today, so there's that. If anyone sees this and wants to add, that would be cool :)
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    I successfully did a few double - unders today. I have the marks all over my arms to prove it. It sort of looks like I had a "50 Shades of Grey" weekend but nope, just jump rope!
  • Andy__Dane
    Andy__Dane Posts: 46 Member
    Managed to deadlift 2 x my bodyweight for the first time last week, have my clean up to 80kg. Still suck at snatches though!
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    edited August 2018
    I successfully did a few double - unders today. I have the marks all over my arms to prove it. It sort of looks like I had a "50 Shades of Grey" weekend but nope, just jump rope!

Oh yeah, I have had days where those whipmarks were very aggressive! My "proud of" moment today is also about double-unders. Back in March I could hardly string 2 of them together. Today I managed a set of 25 unbroken, and followed it up with a set of 20!

I think if i could get the heaviness of my jumps under control I'd be golden, haha.

And btw, the quality of the rope (not the handles, THE CABLE) makes a HUGE difference. I have a Rogue SR-1 Froning edition - the handles with the ball bearings are amazing, but the rope itself tends to keep its shape (it's not super flexible) so it got a bad bend in it from being stored and I can't work the kink out. Not to mention I'd also cut it too short. I bought the rope I'm using in the above video on amazon for about 20$ CAD, and it came with 2 cables (one heavier, the one I'm using here, and a lighter, speedier one). The handles are kinda like cheap tennis racket. They're comfy, but the rubber tape around it tends to start moving around a bit, so I don't know that they'll last that long, and the rotation is a little choppy + my heavy cable tends to want to slip out and I've lost it in the middle of a set a few times where it just flew off one of the handles. Yet I've made more progress with this rope in 1 month than I did in years with my previous ropes. I think when I get real good with the heavy cable, I'm gonna slap the light one onto the rogue handles (if it fits, anyway). Speed for dayyyysss :)
  • GOT_Obsessed
    Well done!!! I too am in Canada. Can you please provide the link to the rope you recommend from Amazon? I do need a better one. Thanks.
  • krokador
    edited August 2018
    Well done!!! I too am in Canada. Can you please provide the link to the rope you recommend from Amazon? I do need a better one. Thanks.

It's this one: https://www.amazon.ca/Attack-Speed-Jump-WOD-Nation/dp/B06XNNY73K/ref=sr_1_sc_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1533744103&sr=8-4-spell&keywords=wodnation

I would assume the WODNation basic speed rope (which has a bearing more similar to the rogue rope)
    https://www.amazon.ca/WOD-Nation-Speed-Jump-Rope/dp/B00K1VOXYW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1533744103&sr=8-3&keywords=wodnation
    would have better rotation, but then you don't get the added benefit of having the heavier cable, which has helped a LOT with my double-unders. The reviews also mention the rope being a bit *too* light for beginners, so may not be the best thing to start with, either.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    Thanks I appreciate it.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    A good rope really makes a difference, as does taking care of it. I have a Starbi that I really like. Heavier handles work better for me. I'm on my second cable, the first one I let get kinked up a bit. I'm very careful about how I store the rope now to make it stays nice and loose. Still working on doubles but I'm much better than I was.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    I ordered the rope Krokador recommended. I will be sure to take good care of it.

On a side note I did cross covers fairly easily and I surprised everyone when I jumped rope backwards. My friends never even thought to do that. But I don't think they will be impressed till I do backwards double unders. Ouch that sounds like a painful learning curve.
  • Kohanai
    I ordered the rope Krokador recommended. I will be sure to take good care of it.

On a side note I did cross covers fairly easily and I surprised everyone when I jumped rope backwards. My friends never even thought to do that. But I don't think they will be impressed till I do backwards double unders. Ouch that sounds like a painful learning curve.

Skin flaying is in, I hear.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    My new rope arrived and I like it a lot. It for sure helps with the double unders. I did 96 today!
  • krokador
    My new rope arrived and I like it a lot. It for sure helps with the double unders. I did 96 today!

Woot! I've managed a set of 25 unbroken TWICE (and 1 or 2 sets of 20, too) since the last time I posted, so I'm quite proud of myself as well :) Had to take a bit of a break this past week though, as I had a Spartan-like race to run last weekend, and the steepness bricked my calves and ankles. I tried to jump a bit yesterday and it was a definite no-go, lol.

I also keep losing the little rubber stoppers to the dang rope and it then comes apart, so that may become an issue at some point. A bit sad I didn't leave myself enough slack to make a knot, now. Although that may alter spinning so maybe it's better this way anyway.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    25 unbroken is great!! Way to go.

I seem to get all screwed up when I feel pressure. When I say presure I mean when the clock starts! I seem to do best at this point doing one single, one double, one single, one double.

I have to try to remember that I am still very new to this. I Definitely have progresed a lot with this though.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    This is why it pays to practice for 5-10 minutes a day if you can and get them locked in when there is no pressure.

For me I'm proud of getting back to it after about a month off due to ear surgery. Went twice last week and the goal is three or four times this week and then four times regularly with a run or two added in.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    I hit three new PRs over the last week! I know the numbers themselves are not terribly impressive, but I'm still super proud of my progress; I have been lifting for about 3 months now, and I'm getting super close to my bodyweight on several lifts which is goal #1 for me.

sha9itnqjvy8.jpg
  • sunshineraej
    sunshineraej Posts: 89 Member
    3 wks ago, I had 2 PR's. Cleans went from 105# to 125# & Front Squats went from 135# to 155#. Oh and I did ONE double under a few weeks ago. :-)