Atheists? Agnostics?

Options
saraonly9913
saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
I'm looking for fellow atheists who are trying to work the OA program.

Replies

• MSPRebel
    MSPRebel Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Atheist here! *waves* Been in program since 2010ish.
  • saraonly9913
    Options
    Hiya MSPRebel. How did you manage to work the steps with no higher power? How do you use a program that needs a higher power to answer us and needs us to give things over to it?
  • jmpurser
    jmpurser Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm an atheist with a bit of time in AA who's just starting OA. My atheism has NEVER been a barrier to working a 12 step program. As long as you do not consider yourself to be the most important thing in the Universe you can find a higher power.
  • saraonly9913
    Options
    I can find things higher than me. I can't find anything higher than me that can help me in daily things or guide me. There is no higher power who could remove defects of character.
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    I struggled with the concept of needing a HP when I first entered the OA program (although I don't make any belief claims). What worked for me was a realization through meditation and giving myself fully to the process (out of desperation). Early on my HP was my OA home group, then it evolved into a universal HP, which continues to evolve. I think if you keep searching, you'll find it, but you will have to let go and be open to the process, otherwise, you'll remain stuck.
  • BulletProofSkim
    BulletProofSkim Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Not judging, but does it matter? This is a spiritual program not a religious one and as long as I have my higher power (whoever or whatever that is) I'm not fussed what anyone else's HP is. Just a thought.

I really struggled over the HP aspect of the program but once it clicked, it clicked!
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I like the way @jmpurser put it, "As long as you do not consider yourself to be the most important thing in the Universe.."

It's pretty common that folks freak out by the use of the word God in recovery programs.
  • MNWallflower
    MNWallflower Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    @saraonly9913 - @GrokRockStar and @jmpurser have some solid suggestions; your higher power can be whatever is bigger than you. Like Grok said, a great deal of people actually use the group. Might sound weird but I trust in the program, the program is my higher power. Sometimes I pray, just to get my thoughts out into the universe. Nothing might be out there to hear it but it's therapeutic nonetheless. :smile: