Just finished my first week!

Options
Hi guys. :) Just finished my first week on keto and I'd like to check in to see how I can improve things.

What I ate this week: https://imgur.com/a/osbQiGY

For reference, SW 228lbs, 1300 calories per day, and I have my macros set at 60/30/10, which MFP has set at 89/98/33. I'm being a little bit more lenient with my carbs and am not going all the way down to 20g because I am a T2 diabetic and currently take 2 medications that increase insulin production and I don't want to be constantly fighting off hypoglycemia and kicking myself out of ketosis. My next appointment is towards the end of September and so as long as I stick with this, hopefully I'll be able to reduce my medication and I can worry less about this.

I felt ... mostly good this week? I feel more clear headed. I feel like it's easier to do things (I shaved my legs and for the first time in forever that wasn't exhausting!). My energy levels are in a ... strange? place. The first 3 days I definitely did more because I felt better but on day 4 something changed and I'm having a harder time with getting myself to do things. I feel kind of exhausted but at the same time I feel like I could do things, I just don't. I think there's other things at play here (mostly mental health) so I don't think this is necessarily because of keto. My GI was absolutely wrecked this week though, especially the first few days. It did seem to improve a bit when I was more conscious of my fiber intake and came right back on Saturday when I had a fatty meal with almost no fiber. Could be a going into ketosis side effect (my ... output was less and less each time I was worshiping the porcelain gods) or my body cannot process bacon fat, since I ate bacon in at least 2 of the days that happened. Which would be sad, but if that's the way it is, then so be it.

Learned the hard way that I already cannot skip meals accidentally because I accidentally ended up skipping lunch Saturday from a nap that went too long and woke up having a hypoglycemic episode. That was fun.

Moving on to this week, how I think I want to refocus:
  • Making sure I keep my fiber intake up as that does seem to help me and maybe make me feel less weird.
  • Realign how much fat I think I should be eating. It may not look like it, but I'm struggling to hit my protein macro (although this was a struggle pre-keto too. My doctor's told me more than once I need to get more protein). Might also help with this weird sensation in my stomach of not feeling hungry but my stomach feeling empty so I want to eat.
  • Try to mix up and get a better variety of veggies.
  • Don't buy monster, almost Florida avocado sized hass avocados.
  • Rely less on garbage meat, even if pepperoni is tasty.

I'll weigh myself when I wake up in the morning (I am currently up way past my bedtime. Caffeine mistakes, lol), but I took a peek mid-week because that's the kind of person I am and I definitely lost a large amount this week. I know it's mostly water weight and I definitely should not expect this every week but I can already see a difference in my face, legs, and belly.

I hope everyone's having a good day!

Replies

• Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good week! And those haas avocados are tastier, anyway! Nice work!
  • iamnotvoldemort
    iamnotvoldemort Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    4 days in sounds like low sodium may have caught up to you.
    Are you aware of the increased need for sodium on low carb?

I am, but I'm still in the process of reprogramming my brain after years and years of salt is evil. Most of my life has been spent barely or not even salting food.
  • iamnotvoldemort
    iamnotvoldemort Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I would also talk to your doctor about cutting back on insulin, or insulin raising drugs. If you are eating fewer carbs you don't need as much, and may need none fairly soon. Eating low carb is not inherently dangerous to diabetics, but too much insulin (due to drugs or injected) is dangerous.

IMO, slightly high BG while adjusting to the diet is safer than risking lows. Ymmv.

I've been checking my sugars a lot more and I'm usually in the 90-120 range all day. I've been more conscious of it because I take so much and I know too much insulin can be really dangerous. I hadn't eaten in about 9 hours when it happened though, so I think this probably had more to do with me not eating than anything else. If it keeps happening though, I will definitely talk to my doctor.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,706 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Try a couple of cups of salty boullion, salt tablets, pickle juice, make a salty keto-ade, or just eat half a teaspoon of salt a couple of times a day. I bet it will help.
    Thank you! The amounts are very helpful!

• jrmie333
    jrmie333 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Keep up with the good work.
  • Re_Banana
    Re_Banana Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If you are struggling with protein, a protein shake for breakfast might be a good option. I use Lean fit which is really low carb. I think it's 1 or 2 net carbs per 32g scoop. Available at Costco (I'm in Canada though). I've also read that isopure is a good brand, tasty and low carb, but I've never tried it.
  • astripli
    astripli Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Your energy levels on day four can be directly related to your insulin resistance. Being type 2 diabetic you are insulin resistant. There is so much information out there on reversing this on the keto diet. You should look it up on youtube. With any diet, if you have any health issues already, you should ALWAYS talk to your doctor about it every step of the way. Note that all doctors do not approve of this diet. If your doesnt dont let it discourage you. Try to find a nutritionist who can guide you and help you keep track of your health along the way.
  • jjfreebird59
    jjfreebird59 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    https://makan.ch/recipe/keto-flaxseed-chips/ Have you tried making flaxmeal crackers/chips. I haven't made them this time (I started over recently), but lots of fiber, and I would salt the heck out of them with Himalayan Pink Salt. You can make them with whatever seasoning you like or add some parm to them. Nutrition Facts (based on ingredients) : Per serving (8 pieces) 124 kcal, Total Fat – 9 g, Total Carbs – 7 g, Fiber – 6 g = NET Carbs – 1 g, Protein – 4 g.
  • poli22
    poli22 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I just printed out the recipe and will try making them tomorrow. Looks good!