Just realizing what I am...

Options
Adean2010
Adean2010 Posts: 5 Member
Though it has been very obvious, I just recently discovered what I was. An emotional eater. Stress has been a huge factor in my weight. New job is the most stressful job I've ever had. I don't get to move around much, because I'm stuck at a desk all day, and I'm gaining. I eat when I'm not hungry. I eat to the point I get sick. But, when I was happy, I never thought of food. Just ate normal portions, and had healthy exercise. I feel so guilty after I eat, that I won't even tell anyone that I've ate. I'm embarrassed. I just get so stressed, and feel like eating calms me down. I feel out of control, and I'm not sure how to make it stop, but I guess the first step is admitting it, right?

Replies

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Hi Adean, welcome. :)
    You are so right, what a lot of insight and honesty you have gotten. Thank you for sharing it here, as I know many of us will also admit the same. There is also an OA group on mfp if you want. This group and OA help me find answers for my problem with eating.
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Ready, set, get on a healthy journey!!! Comfort feeding is something I am very familiar with. Next step? Log it all, even when you are overeating. Maybe you could write down what led to to the eating. It will put you in control. It will help you learn what your triggers are. It might help you break the chain.
  • purplicious86
    purplicious86 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I feel like I could have written this myself. *HUGS*
  • clsumrall1
    clsumrall1 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Was reading this post and I’m right here with. It was a shock when my psychologist told me I’m a binge eater. I never did long binges just like a snack bing but what she told me even though your choices where (healthy) the fact you weren’t hungry and star in front of the tv mindless eating is binge eating. I totally get it now.
  • alspran
    alspran Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Gamliela what is "OA" ?
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    @alspran I believe OA is Overeaters Anonymous.
  • kfitzwater24
    kfitzwater24 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have been running from OA and from the truth. I am at the point where the only thing that fits are sweat pants and leggings. I totally understand. I hide in my car and eat.
  • _aenyeweddien_
    _aenyeweddien_ Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Ladies, you're not alone:( When I get upset/stressed, I could eat anything and everything. I can easily eat a tub of ice cream, whole pizza, loads of cheesesticks and a whole bag of Doritos and still feel like I'm hungry:( and I agree with one of the previous replies, it's good to log it. When you suddenly see how many kcal you consumed and it becomes real, next time you think twice before you do it. At least that was the case for me
  • ShannCan
    ShannCan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    How are you doing? Message me if you want!