what do ya do about constipation?

Options
brenn24179
brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
I have been low carb for about a month now but am having constipation, I bought me some bran cereal yesterday to see if that would help? Any suggestions?

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Cereal is going to have some carbs to it. I am having the same trouble at times. I subscribe to the youtube videos by Dr. KenDBerryMD and he just had one one Do I Need a Magnesium Supplement? https://youtube.com/watch?v=VDOhbrU29ZM
    He included a link to the Magnesium supplement that he uses so I ordered some from amazon last night to try it out.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    I would ask - are you constipated or just not going as frequently? Constipated means that you have to push hard to go and it could be painful to go as well. If this is the case, I would recommend a magnesium supplement to help (magnesium oxide is the best for this purpose).

We have all been trained from birth that we need to go every day (or multiple times per day), but the low carb diet (and esp keto) actually produces less waste that needs to be expelled so BM's are smaller and sometimes less frequent.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    The GI system is designed so that from mouth to a*n*us takes approximately 48-52 hours. So, you should be going every day, and if you aren't, then you would be medically constipated, regardless of the volume of food consumed.

Low carb diets flush out not only your stored water, but also your electrolytes - salt, magnesium, and potassium. Magnesium is often times referred to as the "Relaxation Mineral" because it is known to help with sleep, but it also helps with muscle contraction and relaxation -- which includes colon motility.

Taking a Magnesium Supplement before bedtime can help remedy this. Start with the minimum dosage and increase from there until regular. Also make sure that you are getting a good quality Magnesium Supplement, preferably Chelated Magnesium and also be sure that it is not Magnesium Oxide, which is junk and the least absorbable form of Magnesium. You can't get a good Magnesium Supplement at somewhere like CVS or GNC, you really need to look online or at a local health food store.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    If I were having this issue I would 1st consider whether or not I had been sitting around too much. I've never "tested" it butt butt butt have casually observed that a little brisk walking gets my innerds going when a bit delayed from the norm. Amount of food and/or amount of fiber doesn't seem to have much impact ;) on me, personally.

I will concur with a couple (contrary) comments above with one saying magnesium oxide is the best for this purpose yet another saying be sure to NOT get magnesium oxide. My experience has been that too much oxide will result a case of the "squirts" so perhaps mission accomplished. I learned that by not knowing there is a difference in magnesiums and what one finds at wal-mart, cvs or in a regular grocery store with their BOGO sale (I'm cheap) is magnesium oxide. My preferred magnesium is something like a chelated magnesium glycinate or citrate as recommended by my physician for my neurological movement disorder (though it has not been helpful). They're considerably more expensive but available at places like Whole Foods, Earth Fare or Sprouts (if you're not an on-line shopper).

Take a look at your food diary and see if there has been much of a change in your fiber intake since eating low carb of ~100 grams. Honestly...I doubt there has. Just a guess. If not fiber (which has been heavily disputed discussed in the forum, consider whether or not you've been a bit more sedentary or perhaps might have inadvertently become less hydrated. JMO.
  • brenn24179
    Options
    I am definitely very active so that isn't the problem, I don't get enough fiber, I picked up some quest bars today which have fiber so hope that helps. I definitely don't eat enough fiber. Hope that cereal helps also and maybe the low carb flatbread which has fiber in it. I also have been eating too much cheese.
  • Phoenix_Dawn
    Phoenix_Dawn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    brenn24179 wrote: »
    I am definitely very active so that isn't the problem, I don't get enough fiber, I picked up some quest bars today which have fiber so hope that helps. I definitely don't eat enough fiber. Hope that cereal helps also and maybe the low carb flatbread which has fiber in it. I also have been eating too much cheese.

Be careful with the quest bars. They had the opposite affect on me. I'm 99% sure they caused me constipation when I eat them. Just my experience. I thought it was weird because they were loaded with fibre.
  • brenn24179
    Options
    phoeix, the lady that lost 160 lbs on low carb, 100 or less eats quest bars every day and she says it helps her. This is different, I guess everyone reacts different. anyway, I cant afford them.

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    How are your water and fat intake?
  • fdhunt1
    fdhunt1 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    1) Install handle bars on the toilet.
    2) Eat 6 pieces of Russel Stover sugar free chocolate.
    3) Drink 3 oz MCT oil.
    4) Drink 2 cups of espresso coffee.
    5) Make sure two rolls of tp are within arms reach.
    6) When your intestines start making weird noises, mount the toilet & grab the handlebars. Won't be long and you're good to go!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    ^^^ That would do it. LOL :D Don't overlook having lots of TP ready.

I find fibre creates bulk which made more of a problem for me. I am MUCH more regular eating almost no vegetation at all.

For me, I increase coconut oil (or other oil but MCT or coconut oil is quite effective), get more sodium/salt, drink coffee, maybe eat cashews, and go to a library or book store. ;) Magnesium supplements do the trick too; magnesium oxide is almost too effective for many, but magnesium citrate might help.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I just eat and drink more but it has not been a real issue the past 3 years.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,685 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    fdhunt1 wrote: »
    1) Install handle bars on the toilet.
    2) Eat 6 pieces of Russel Stover sugar free chocolate.
    3) Drink 3 oz MCT oil.
    4) Drink 2 cups of espresso coffee.
    5) Make sure two rolls of tp are within arms reach.
    6) When your intestines start making weird noises, mount the toilet & grab the handlebars. Won't be long and you're good to go!
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    ^^^ That would do it. LOL :D Don't overlook having lots of TP ready.
    OMG, in tears... :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:LMAO!

• rsclause
    Options
    This reminds me of someone that has a comedic way describing things writing about colonoscopy prep. The laxative bottle said "may cause diarrhea" and they said that the launching of the space shuttle was a better analogy.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    :D
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Fiber is only going to make it bulk up. Fiber causes constipation. It’s not the solution.
    You are probably low in sodium.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I removed all fiber, upped my fat, and drink a little coffee. Those are my secrets to regularity. Actually, the coffee is optional. But, people tell me it helps them.
  • RenaPink11
    RenaPink11 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I’m having the same problem! It’s 4-5 days before anything happens and then I’m taking laxatives. I started taking a magnesium supplement, but now apparently after reading the comments, need to double check which one I have. Anyway, good luck!
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I've found that salads help me stay pretty regular as well as exercise. A lot of processed foods that have fiber in them don't seem to work the same way. Whole foods always seem to do the trick, as well as lots of water and keeping the electrolytes in check and strong coffee with either coconut creamer or half and half.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I just listened to this today, the guest doctor talks about how fiber can gum up the works in some people: http://humanperformanceoutliers.libsyn.com/website/episode-38-dr-paul-mason
    Seems that the carnivore diet can fix that.
  • rsclause
    Options
    I was going to try some magnesium but its taking amazon two weeks to get it here. They must be mining it.