Help figure out my activity level/TDEE

Options
blonditz
blonditz Posts: 83 Member
Trying to recalculate my TDEE. I'm female, 33, 5'3", 165lbs

This time last year I was at the gym 5-6 days a week, swimming or lifting weights. Step count averaged 4-8k. I was eating 1800 calories. The scale was staying about the same, but I dropped 2 full jean sizes over about 6 months. Then I fell off the wagon. I haven't tracked in months. I was still exercising, but my eating habits changed. I gained back about half a jean size over a couple months.

Now I'm still at the gym 5-6 days a week. Usually lifting (heavy) 3 days a week, zumba 2-3 days a week, maybe a spin class. I've worked really hard to increase my step count. I go for a walk most nights. I've been over 10k everyday for over a month. I hit 15k steps a couple days a week. Fitbit (charge 2) says I burn anywhere from 2300-2900 calories a day, usually 2400-2650. But I worry that it's giving me way to many calories for simply walking. Scooby calculator says TDEE is 2337 for 3-5 hours cardio a week, 2601 for 5-6 hours cardio, and 2865 for 7-21 hours. Minus 20% would be 1869, 2080, and 2292. MFP gives me 1500 for light active, 1790 for active (for a pound a week).

I'm trying figure out where to start calorie wise (TDEE). Any suggestions?

Replies

• kcmsmith0405
    kcmsmith0405 Posts: 259 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    The best way to figure it out is to do a reset and actually see what you can eat without gaining inches (fat). There is a tutorial on the start here thread. I would go for maintaining for a while while tracking - making sure to get plenty of protein, then do a cut after you figure out where you are actually at.

Sounds like Your fitbit is probably really close though. That is a LOT of working out. Here http://eatmore2weighless.com/weight-loss-calculator/ on the EM2WL Calculator you are at strenuous levels (at the very least you are the top end of moderate). Are you logging all your actual exercise as well?

If you want to cut right now - I would choose active and lose 1 lb per week, then log and add in your actual workouts and eat back at least 50% of the workout calories.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    The Fitbit is inflating your calorie burn for lifting - incorrect usage when doing that much.
    Unless you are starting the workout by telling that model you are doing Weights.
    In that case - that model is using database entry of rate of calorie burn, not based on HR, which is correct and should be around 150-200 per hour.

If it was 15 min 3x weekly - no big deal to be inflated in an otherwise active lifestyle.

If the Zumba or spinning is done after the lifting - it's probably an inflated HR so the calorie burn is inflated too.
    Though - if doing a hard cardio class after lifting - perhaps the lifting isn't that hard anyway.
    Even if the cardio is done easy though after hard lifting - it's inflated.

And yeah, the TDEE calc with 5 levels can be a decent spot check - but a properly used Fitbit is giving almost infinite.
  • adchak
    adchak Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Im 5 ft 7 inches, started at 203 lbs down to 187 lbs. the only way i got there is by eating clean and keeping at 1200-1400 cals max some days going to 1100 as well. I did eat 1500 cals a while back which is my resting calories needed but i never lost any weight consistently. I watched my macros and kept my work outs steady. I used to lose 1-2 lbs then would ho back and down another lb.
    So im wondering if body types are different and if TDEE approach works for everyone. Im also hypothyroid been that way for 20 years and under synthroid for many yrs, tsh is within my normal range ard 1.00 all other markers are fine.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    adchak wrote: »
    Im 5 ft 7 inches, started at 203 lbs down to 187 lbs. the only way i got there is by eating clean and keeping at 1200-1400 cals max some days going to 1100 as well. I did eat 1500 cals a while back which is my resting calories needed but i never lost any weight consistently. I watched my macros and kept my work outs steady. I used to lose 1-2 lbs then would ho back and down another lb.
    So im wondering if body types are different and if TDEE approach works for everyone. Im also hypothyroid been that way for 20 years and under synthroid for many yrs, tsh is within my normal range ard 1.00 all other markers are fine.

Eating clean has no definition, and unless you have some specific health issue to whatever the "unclean" foods are - that has no bearing on weight loss - perhaps you feeling better, or better able to sustain an eating style, but meaningless for weight loss.

Body types has been proven in studies to be meaningless also as far as eating and weight loss.
    Types and styles of workouts that could be most useful if pursuing the very top of whatever you are doing might have a bearing, but not many are top tier athletes looking to make the most minor of improvements.

Eating less than you burn works for everyone, ie the TDEE or Calories In/Calories Out (CICO) method.
    How much you can eat less before your body begins to rebel and adapt and make it less effective is an individual matter, but there are guidelines to start out for being reasonable to lessen that effect, and strategies to correct it like refeeds and diet breaks.

Thyroid issues are like that too, you move less because of being more tired if unmedicated or wrong dose - so the estimate of daily burn is lower than other averages.
    Also means body is stressed already and shouldn't attempt a rate of loss like other average folks could, or it'll rebel and adapt.

Weight loss is not linear or consistent, it will vary. And reasonable rate usually means trying to lose while eating the max you can, not the minimum.
    With minimum, there is really no where to go as you have to eat less as you weigh less.
    Better to eat more than minimum to lose weight, have better workouts, and transform the body more than weight loss alone might indicate.