Weight expectations

Options
robohoughton
robohoughton Posts: 2 Member
I had great expectations as I hit the paleo diet a week ago... I've ditched the bread, the processed food, my goto Sainsbury's ready meals etc. And switched to paleo. I've been 80-90% conformant one slip of a Apple crumble cheesecake and constant slips of capuccino! But.... I'm 91kg at the start and 91kg after week 1 - did y'all see fairly quick weight loss? Am also hitting the gym 4/5 times a week. Will give it all of May and hopefully see some moves?? Rob

Replies

• madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    First off, great job starting!!! I can only speak from my experience, so here goes.

I personally have always been big. When I say that, I mean that even at my lightest weight when I was in the military and in 100% great shape, I still always have fallen on the high side of the BMI chart. For this reason, and probably others, I had always yo-yo'd with every diet known to mankind and always felt like a failure when the weight didn't fall off immediately.

In a nutshell, I had a bad relationship with food all my life. If I wasn't starving myself, I was trying all types of diets and workouts to feel 'good' about myself, which all ended with me feeling deprived, cranky, and always giving up as I just didn't feel well.

When I started Paleo, I decided it was going to be about lifestyle rather than diet. Within the first month I had lost 10 pounds, and over the course of 6 months, dropped 50. I have fallen off the wagon several times and not met my 80/20 or 90/10 goals, but have kept the weight off over the past year simply by making better choices most of the time.

The most important thing I can say here is that, although I wanted quick weight loss, changing my perspective about food and feeling the great effects of putting better food into my body helped me realize that weight loss isn't and shouldn't be the primary goal. Once I changed that perspective, and stopped fixating on 'quick' loss, it made a world of difference.

Back to your original question (thanks for letting me ramble about my experiences):

I think depending on how much you want to lose, and how close you are to your goal, the expected weight loss will differ. You don't seem to need to lose that much, so I would give it 6 months at least. With your increased workouts, you may not see anything for a month as you may be reconstituting your body makeup. By the end of May, try to evaluate how you feel. If you have only lost 5 pounds but feel great, that is a whole lot more important than losing 20 and feeling horrible.

• eve70
    eve70 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Well done on ditching all the bread, processed stuff. I would also agree it's about lifestyle and (for me) I work much better making small changes over time. I came to paleo/primal from eating low GI, so it wasn't such a big change. I have also, always eaten lots of vegetables and unprocessed food, I was vegetarian in my late teens/early twenties. I think the whole lifestyle is about what works for you and it may take a few tweaks to find out what that is. Personally, I need to make sure I eat enough protein or I get hungry and my carbs and calories go up. You also need time for your body to adapt to fat burning, and then adjust your food and exercise accordingly.
  • robohoughton
    robohoughton Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Many thanks for the great responses. I will continue on!!
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Are you actually eating in a deficit? Following a Paleo diet is great for your overall health, but you still have to be eating less calories than you are burning. I don't think it's an exact science like all of the CICO proponents do, but it still makes sense to me.
  • GoddessDawg
    GoddessDawg Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey Robo, If you stick with it, you might find that your weight doesn't change but your shape does. If you are working out 4x week, you may end up replacing fat with muscle (which weighs more) so you will look and feel better, but maybe not show a big difference on the scale. Hope it's going well.