Whats the dealio with coconut flour?

Options
I bought some yesterday, and tried to use it to make gravy from my roast chicken juices. I stirred the gravy over the heat for what felt like forever and...nothing. It didn't get thicker, and it just had this yucky gritty texture.

is it only good for baking? I heard it soaks liquid up really well but it didn't seem to for me.

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I bought a bag of coconut flour and eventually threw it away. The only thing I ever made with it was a 1 minute brownie. It worked well for that but I made 2 and ate them both. Promptly. :o

My way of thinking is not for everyone but since I am not gluten intolerant, my method of making real gravy involves a 1/4 cup of plain old flour (made into a roux with equal fat) for a what results a minimum of 1 cup of gravy-depends on how thick or thin I want it. If I eat only 1/4 cup of gravy that would be 1 tablespoon of flour which is 7 carbs. I make delicious homemade gravy (so I'm told).

I don't eat much gravy because I rarely eat the things I put it on: potatoes, rice, biscuits.

Some people use Xanthan gum as a thickener. It too has 7 carbs/tablespoon but has 7 grams of fiber so essentially 0 net carbs and it takes only a tiny bit to thicken something (so I've read). I've not used it.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I use arrowroot for thickening hot sauces, it doesn't take much.

I also do not like the taste or texture of coconut flour, so I don't have any good suggestions for using it. I think I ended up tossing mine after trying a few recipes and discovering that nothing really hides the fact that it's coconut flour.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I just use it for pancakes. It's fine for that!
  • fdhunt1
    fdhunt1 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Coconut flour , like almond flour, will not thicken anything. They do not have gluten, like unbleached AP flour, which is used for gravy. Use xanthan gum or arrowroot like others mentioned.
  • hellobaconplease
    hellobaconplease Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Those other things may not be easy to find, I'm not in America, but will give it a go. Thanks!
  • krythie
    krythie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My daughter uses arrowroot to make gravy and her gravy is amazing!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Try beef gelatin for thickening
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I like coconut flour for baking these cookies I like,,that's about it
  • itzcath
    itzcath Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Can you say olive oil pound cake... It's marvelous and uses coconut flour. Also very low carb if you turn it into a dozen giant muffins.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    itzcath wrote: »
    Can you say olive oil pound cake... It's marvelous and uses coconut flour. Also very low carb if you turn it into a dozen giant muffins.

ooh, sounds good! recipe link please
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    itzcath wrote: »

C'mon!!! You can't tempt us all with a comment like that and not leave a linky to the recipe, LOL.
  • hellobaconplease
    hellobaconplease Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I think I will be throwing my bag of coconut flour away, it doesn't have a very nice texture in anything! It's like eating sand. Thanks for all your ideas though and I found some xanthan gum.
  • DEHC1990
    DEHC1990 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Pound cake recipe, please!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    The only thing I've used it for (IIRC) is muffin in a mug recipes.
  • crunchketo
    crunchketo Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    https://www.ketoconnect.net/olive-oil-cake/
    perhaps for coconut pound cake. I haven't tried it yet!
  • itzcath
    itzcath Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Yes that's the link above. Sorry I didn't look at this thread again until tonight. I personally don't like the funky flavor of extra virgin olive oil so I use the light tasteing one. The recipe doesn't work with vegetable oil (too dry). You have to make it with a thick oil for moist cakes. Also great with hazelnut, strawberry or other bakers emulsion flavors if vanilla is too boring. I have a babycakes brownie maker and use that thing "ta death" mostly making this recipe because the carb count is so low and they are a serious chunk of 🍰
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Coconut flour is great for making bread-y things, like biscuits, muffins. I don't use it for anything but baking. It has a long shelf life. Usually only part of the flour-y things in a recipe, because it absorbs a lot of liquid.

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/coconut-flour-cheddar-drop-biscuits
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    swezeytba wrote: »
    I like to make a version of a pan gravy that doesn't use any flour......I use the same pain I cooked my meat in and deglaze with a little water. Then add butter and heavy cream and cook all of that with some salt and pepper and let it reduce until it gets to a little thicker. Very potent and flavorful....

I do this a lot as well. I'm a big fan of reduction to enrich flavors. takes a little time but the results are always tasty.
  • Pineapples
    Pineapples Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I just use it for pancakes. It's fine for that!

yup I've tried it for pancakes and they were amazing. But I don't think you can use it for cooking. Mostly baking.