First carb crash in 3-4 weeks...

Options
zanyterp
zanyterp Posts: 291 Member
And I do not miss this feeling. We went to the fair today and I decided to splurge on a treat that is only there (knowing I was going to pay some sort of price...but better than trying to tell my wife I’m trying Keto). I was expecting the, minor for me, afternoon tiredness. I had not prepared/planned for the carb crash. It is what I previously identified as hypoglycemic response and needing sugar (at least partially accurate). But with the feeling not happening the last 3-4 weeks I’ve been working toward Ketosis, I think it’s actually the blood sugar drop from a high carb snack.
I cheated and ate several cheese slices and salami slices w/ mayo ... but I caught it without a sugar load (which would start the cycle over tomorrow is my guess).
Will I do it again next year? Probably
Will I do it again during thanksgiving & Christmas with the pies I make only during that time? Yup
But at least I know what to expect and can try to minimize living through the crash.

To the other newbies: it works! (Even if you don’t realize it).
To those that have been doing it a while: do you still have the carb crash, so to speak, when choosing to eat different treats?

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I've never had a carb crash from salami/cheese and mayo. Did you stay well hydrated? If I were to parallel the situation to myself the "crash" would more likely be from increased activity above my normal in 90° weather and not staying well hydrated.
  • zanyterp
    Options
    Thank you, @kpk54.
    I apologize for not being clear and implying that the salami & cheese were the cause of the crash; it was the fried dough I ate (slathered in honey butter) earlier in the day (and insufficient hydration, as you pointed out). I was referring to loading up on salami & cheese slices as cheating as a way to try and stave off the desire for sugar (and the way I have handled that feeling the last 20+ years).
  • jrmie333
    jrmie333 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I know that feeling. After eating loads of carbs during the weekrnd i had carb hangover.
  • sykin
    sykin Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I was traveling earlier this week and while on vacation, I ended the weekend with letting go a little on what I was choosing to eat. And on the flight home, I went all out and ate like I normally used to while traveling - that involved Cool Ranch Doritos and Cheese Combos. I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE Combos. Those have always been my travel food. Let me tell you, I slept through BOTH flights, even though I wasn't tired at all before boarding!! Yeaaaahhhhhh, I don't miss that feeling at all. I, like you, will probably indulge again come Thanksgiving. Christmas has never really been a big "eating" holiday for us, but Thanksgiving definitely is. I'll expect the crash. Hopefully it won't be quite so harsh. LOL
  • zanyterp
    Options
    And, hopefully, we can plan for it 😇
    I only started last month and didn’t realize the impact carbs had on daily life (at least for me; I figured that was due to my weight or not enough protein) when it came to the carb crash/hypoglycemic response. Oops
    But now I know, at least during holidays or birthday celebrations, eat the carb heavy late in the day so when I crash I’m either already asleep or close enough that it’s not a problem
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    zanyterp wrote: »
    And, hopefully, we can plan for it 😇
    I only started last month and didn’t realize the impact carbs had on daily life (at least for me; I figured that was due to my weight or not enough protein) when it came to the carb crash/hypoglycemic response. Oops
    But now I know, at least during holidays or birthday celebrations, eat the carb heavy late in the day so when I crash I’m either already asleep or close enough that it’s not a problem

@zanyterp, This has been my experience. I lost my excess 5 years ago and have been maintaining for the last 4 years. I have varied carbs pretty significantly for extended periods during those years. 1+ year/s was weight/body fat loss then maintenance @128 average daily carb grams. I had no "carb caused slumps" I will guess because I was exercising and though eating higher carbs, they did not include a lot of sweets (think legumes and vegetables). I then trialed keto of < 20 total carb grams for 52 weeks for reason other than weight/body fat management. My gnawing hunger subsided greatly on keto but since it was ineffective for my purpose, I upped carbs to ~50 for ~2 years to continue to suppress the hunger/cravings. During that couple of years and forward, I have had a few meals or events of carbs definitely above 150 and likely well over 200. On those occasions, I definitely get a case of major lethargy which is remedied as I bring my carbs back down to a reasonable amount.

My N=1 is: high carbohydrate intake does make me sluggish but it has to be pretty darn high and perhaps during a short period of time. Think: eating not a piece of cake but a giant piece of cake (or 2) with a big bowl of ice cream with hot fudge on top and all around. ;) I think it is a combination of the nature of the food and my body being accustomed to significantly fewer carbs.