Protein smoothee and what time of day?

Hi all,

I have finally become consistent with going to the gym and doing weight/strength training. My main "aerobic" is outdoor walking because I love it so much.

I think I have my TDEE about right. I am 65, 5' 2", 138. My workouts are 5 days a week steady, going on 3 weeks now. Upper body one day, lower the next. Weekends I do my walks (anywhere from 2 miles to 6 miles, at right about 2.5 miles per hour. That's average.

I do the typical 3 reps, per exercise at the gym. I have raised my weights so that I am working hard each machine. But I have learned to listen to my body, and I don't over due. More of an issue is getting enough of my macros. So now I feel a bit warn out some mornings.

I have what I think is a pretty good "plant-based" protein that is within my budget. I can't do Whey because it bloats me bad. I am loving the taste of the plant-based, so don't have any problem with it and no bloating. Tons of energy after consuming on serving mixed with frozen fruit (blueberries, and a triple berry blend I like). I also use my Almond Milk which I also think is very good for the price I can afford to spend. It has 10 grams of protein as well, and I used a cup of that in the smoothie.

Anyway, my question is, "is it best to drink the protein separate from my regular meals? I know drinking water, or other drinks can inhibit digestion, so I'm guessing separate, not with meals.

Any experience with this, help is very welcome. I am so excited about the way my 65, almost 66 body is changing already. I don't have any depression at all (I don't take anti-depress.pills) and I am having more interest in the things I love since starting my "program".

Thanks all, and I haven't kept a very good diary so far, I haven't lost any weight, or inches, but I am not worried, just know to stick with it, and enjoy every minute;)

Replies

• Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Hello! So glad to hear you're enjoying your routine. A common time to take a protein shake is after the workout. I work out in the evenings, then mix water and protein and drink it as fast as possible :)

I know what you mean about taking water with meals, and you're right, I wouldn't take protein with a meal either (unless the protein shake IS my meal.) But you may as well try it and see if it causes a problem. For example, if you have a light lunch like a salad, it probably won't hurt to have your shake at that time.

Another possibility: since you get a lot of energy with your protein smoothie, perhaps take it first thing in the morning, or whenever you can use the boost!
  • getupandgo65
    getupandgo65 Posts: 3 Member
    Hi Polly, I'm sorry I didn't get back here to see your reply. Thanks so much. I am exhausted, did upper today. I will get back here tomorrow again though, and tell you a little more about what's going on. I did try the protein in the evening but man did I have weird dreams, I mean weirder than normal, LOL!

Talk to you soon, Denise
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    protein an hour before bed, when your body will be doing recovery over night - can be most beneficial - if you can handle it.

Right after the workout isn't useful as body isn't in to repair mode yet.
    Timing of protein intake is merely a matter of personal taste - studies have shown no benefit unless you are at peak of strength training and everything else is done exactly right.

I think a bigger issue would be getting complete proteins with non-animal sources only.
    If you aren't getting all the essential amino acids in at least daily, your body really can't make use of some or most of them depending on what's missing. If you totally lacked 1 in the mix daily - you'd get none of the others.

Having you been doing that diet long enough to confirm you have that down?

Also - lack of energy at the gym could mean lack of recovery - not enough sleep, not enough calories.

Are you sure you are doing the math right for a reasonable rate of loss for the amount you have to lose to healthy weight?

Meaning you have a good estimate of what you burn daily - because that sounds like active workout and daily life.
    Could be easy to underestimate - and if diet is too aggressive, really bad.

Also - only 3 reps in machines? Or 3 sets?
    Latter is much better. Reps 12-15 at max weight possible?
    Gotta overload the muscle for it to feel the need to improve.

And that's where being tired from lack of calories, could make the workout feel hard purely from lack of energy, not because it's actually a workout for the muscle, and then fail to overload the muscles - basically spinning your wheels for improvement from it.

Almonds as protein completeness for example (since not a good source of protein or calcium as a milk, but good source of fat as a nut):
    https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3086/2

That's a low score, and could benefit from something else being added in.