Ladies Looking For Help With Monthly Cycle

Options
Hi Ladies,

I have been eating high fat and working towards ketosis for about 4months I haven’t lost much, but right now that’s okay as I know it will come. I am not over weight but healthy, just looking to drop a small and tone up. However have noticed over the last two months, the more I get into ketosis and the more fat adapted I get the closer my periods are getting. They seem to be getting shorter by about 10days a month. Is it right to have issues with my monthly cycle? How do I stabilize this with out effecting where I am. Any advice? I am worried I am going to lose it. Thanks.

Replies

• Re_Banana
    Re_Banana Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that estrogen is stored in fat cells, so when fat is burned the estrogen is released and can really mess with your cycle. However if you are not loosing weight right now I'm not sure that's the answer. Keto controls the insulin response, and insulin is a hormone so it maybe tied into that.

Lots of women report irregularities with their cycle in the first couple months, so I imagine it should level out once your hormones are balanced.
  • 23rochelle23
    23rochelle23 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Mine have been ranging from 20-35+ day cycles - not consistently either. I looked it up and took it to be related to stored estrogen as @Re_Banana mentioned. If you’re losing a small amount of fat it may still be just enough to alter your cycle.
  • kris0213
    kris0213 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for advice. It’s been most useful thank you.