Living the Lifestyle - Tuesday Sept. 11

Options
savignr
savignr Posts: 711 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate, and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for September are:

Monday - Imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - savignr (Bob)
Wednesday - 88olds (George)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - Jimb376mfp (Jim)

Today's topic: It had how many calories (points)?

We have all learned, or are learning, that there are hidden calorie bombs out there; things you think are healthy, low cal, or otherwise ok to eat. Then, BOOM! What were some of your surprises - either restaurant or made at home?

Alternate topic: I read yesterday it is perfectly acceptable to only use one space after a period. I was taught to use two. What do you do?

Replies

• savignr
    savignr Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I found a cookbook called Cook's Country eats local, which features dishes from each region of the US. Love the cookbook, but hate that it does not publish any NI for the recipes.

I found one called Bierocks, which is apparently common in Nebraska and Kansas. Basically ground beef, veggies, and cheese in a buttery, yeasted roll. It sounded similar to a local Houston dish called a kolache, so I went ahead and made it. They are not all that big, and the serving size recommended three rolls. They were good, but shame on me, because I later found out three of them are just under 1300 calories. Add in a veggie and starch and one meal exceeded a day's calorie allowance. Now I figure out the calories in advance when using this book.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    We have all learned, or are learning, that there are hidden calorie bombs out there; things you think are healthy, low cal, or otherwise ok to eat. Then, BOOM! What were some of your surprises - either restaurant or made at home?

The "Oriental Salad" at Applebee's Oriental Chicken Salad (with Crispy Chicken) 1440 cal. 46 WW SPs.

Alternate topic: I read yesterday it is perfectly acceptable to only use one space after a period. I was taught to use two. What do you do?
    Period. One space.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,560 Member
    Options
    I find restaurant salads and "healthy wraps" tend to be calorie bombs with lots of fat.

Alternate topic. Sticking with 2 spaces against the one space heresy.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    GF pizzas are so not worth the amount of calories they contain. They GF/DF pizza that I have maybe 3 times a year comes in at 1,100+ calories and looks pathetic when you take it out of the box.

Alternate topic. I bumped into this issue when doing my dissertation. Whichever format I used was wrong according to my editor. I use one space these days. I'm done with formal writing projects.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, good question. I think the biggest surprise for me is how few nuts (e.g. cashews) add up to 6 points. Maybe it's just the way I like to eat 'em, but it seems like a pretty small amount! Olive oil is another: 4 WW smartpoints for a tablespoon?? Really?? The other stuff that seems so "expensive" is for a reason. One of the tradeoffs that most of the time I'm willing to accept.

Bonus: I was taught two, but usually use only one. So there!
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    I find restaurant salads and "healthy wraps" tend to be calorie bombs with lots of fat.

I remember having a wedge salad at Red Robin. When I looked after eating it was 14 SPs!!!
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,982 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I knew these had to be bad but DW and I went to Outback ordered a bloomin onion. 1st time I don't think I checked till later. We were splitting it but I ate the most. BOOM! 75 Pts 1950 kcal. 🤯

Alternative Topic:
    My age may be showing here or ignorance but I never remember being taught more than 1 space after the period. Never heard of 2 then or now. Just hearing about the 2 from post above. Glad to know if I got space bar twice is acceptable. :)

SW 400.8
    CW 345.0☹
    Next GW 300.0
    Final GW 185.0

55.0 lbs Total lost
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I like many different meal replacement bars. Recently I realized that the 'reformulated' version of one of my favorites had gone from 260 to 340 calories. Not a lot, I know, but when you eat them five times per week it starts to add up.

Bonus question: I use two spaces. But I have a friend who is a newspaper editor and she reports typesetting is set to a single space pattern. And that two spaces messes up the process. OTOH, studies show the double space version to be more readable.
  • acoustikarl
    acoustikarl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    One that surprised me was a non-fat mocha from Starbucks. I thought I was being wise going for the non-fat but when it came out to 17 points I was a bit taken aback.

Bonus question: I started out using manual typewriters so two spaces was the norm with mono spaced type. In the early 90s I started using computers and doing desktop publishing and with the proportional typefaces one space was now the norm.
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Chain Resturaunt Salads! Applebees, Red Robin, Carrabas, Chillis, etc. Start with some nice healthy lettuce, then add in craisins, candies nuts, fired tortilla chips or croutons, shredded cheese, and turn it into 2 days worth of points!!!
    But it was a healthy salad choice I say when tracking the points after the fact! I could have had a bacon cheeseburger for less points!

1 space! I never heard of 2 spaces, and since I never took any kind of typing course no one ever told me any different. Besides I think the old Smith Corona portable typewriter I did most of my college papers on in 1971 would have exploded if I hit the space bar twice!
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Back to the bonus question. Here's the 'definitive' correct response:

https://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/qanda/data/faq/topics/OneSpaceorTwo.html

As a Chicago alum, I defer.