Haven't lost anything on a full week of keto

Options
I want this to be successful, but I'm a little frustrated. This is my second go at it. I gave up after the first week because of the "flu" and wanted to give it a try again since I found out how to keep it from happening again. I'm wondering why I've only lost barely a pound the first week despite keeping my carbs low, my calories in check and drinking "salted" water. :-/ Never got the keto flu this time around and I've also tracked this time. Tried to keep my percentages correct. Anybody else have the same problem but eventually conquered it?

Replies

• imlightning
    imlightning Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Did you calculate your percentages for carbs, fat and protein? What does a typical day of meals look like for you?

I am by no means an expert in this (first week of Keto just completed) but others may be able to give some advice.
  • Re_Banana
    Re_Banana Posts: 73 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Not everyone drops weight right away. Evervody is different and unique. Keep calm and keto on, it will happen. Trust the system. It's only been one week, commit yourself to a least a month and if you still are not satisfied you can always revalute.

EDIT: you mentioned you are tracking percentages, but many people pefer grams. I use this calculator for my macros
    keto-calculator.ankerl.com
    Set activity level to sedentary and use a 20% deficit.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I have been keto for almost two years, and am in maintenance now. I lost 135 pounds total, but the first 40 lost were straight counting calories. The rest was with keto. I never had the initial water loss with keto for whatever reason. I have also come to subscribe to higher protein in the macros. Maybe this is just what worked best for me?

Officially my protein macro is 35%. I always try to go over on the protein and under on the carbs and fat. My actual protein for today was 52%.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Just wait it out. If you are eating at a deficit, the scale will eventually reflect that.

I find weight loss is rarely linear. For me, over the last few weeks at my weekly weigh-in I've gone up in weight twice, lost a pound or two a few times, and then had one week where I lost close to 6 lbs. Some weeks look better than others, even doing the same thing, but the trend is downwards. ;)

Keep going.
  • ImpulsiveDaydreamer
    Options
    I struggled massively to lose weight on Keto in the beginning due to not having a thyroid, but persevere and the results will come.

I started Keto a few weeks ago and have lost just over a stone. I’ve just stuck to being in a calorie deficit due to snail pace metabolism. I tried to go low at 800 calories and was too hungry and didn’t lose anything those days. So I stuck at 1200 calories and maintained below 20g carbs, moderate protein and higher healthy fats.

I found the days I lost noticeably(on the scale) were days I’d exercised, not strenuous amounts just 25-35 minutes of cardio/strength workouts. Nike training club has some easy workout routines.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. This is not a sprint.

You may need to tweak a few things:
    1) Check your protein. Many people on keto eat too much protein.
    2) Consider getting a blood ketone meter. Some folks eat the "right percentages" and don't actually get into ketosis.
    3) Think about the other things that might be going on (menstrual, water retention).
    4) You don't need to drink salty water. Just an occasional dose of electrolytes will do. With the extra sodium, you might be retaining water (see #3).
    5) If all else fails, I'd get a blood test to have your hormones checked (thyroid, estrogen, cortisol, and insulin). If they're out of whack, weight loss is extremely difficult.
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    You are only 1 week into this. How long have you been overweight, and is only 1 week enough time to reverse it? Sadly this is not a quick fix, it is a lifestyle change. You may need to get fat adapted being many weeks before your body will react. I have constantly tweeked my carb grams over time to see how my body reacts. I know my body needs more than the 3 years Ive been healthy on low carb/keto to undo the damage of low fat lies.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,693 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    All keto does is cut cravings - it doesn't make you lose weight in of itself. The reduced cravings will let you eat less - this is how you lose.

So all the things that normally affect weight loss (i.e. not enough water, not enough exercise, too may calories, water retention, being constipated, etc.) - these are the things that will all affect how slow or fast you lose.
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 36,201 Member
    Options
    Back in June, I decided to try keto even though I was only about 10 ish pounds from maintenance. I actually did it since for the summer I was staying at my daughters...She’s doing it also so I gave it a try...I’ve lost 5 pounds, I know it’s only 5 pounds...But like Paula has said it’s helps my cravings for sweets...

I find that 20%carb/ 50%fat/ 30%protein is what’s working....
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Back in June, I decided to try keto even though I was only about 10 ish pounds from maintenance. I actually did it since for the summer I was staying at my daughters...She’s doing it also so I gave it a try...I’ve lost 5 pounds, I know it’s only 5 pounds...But like Paula has said it’s helps my cravings for sweets...

I find that 20%carb/ 50%fat/ 30%protein is what’s working....

I too have found I don't have to be super low carb to minimize the cravings/appetite/hunger. It still remains though that once I have too many sweet treats in a row...I'm doomed. For me it is not carbs in general that are the problem. I can eat plenty of vegetables with no problem. It is when I start eating hyper-palatable sweet/fatty/salty concoctions that I crave more and my hunger/appetite kick in.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,693 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I was starting to yawn at a concert yesterday and the only available caffeine fix was a non-diet soda. Knew it would be a big carb hit, and today I had the cravings, but so negligible... able to deal with them with some celery/hummus and salted peanuts. As long as I don't go hog wild on the high glycemic index stuff...

BTW @GrandmaJackie - nice to see you here. I wish everyone would learn the magic of keto. (I'll CU in Wampus, roar!)