Live the Lifestyle Friday 21 Sept

Options
Jimb376mfp
Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member

We meet here to explore, share, celebrate, and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for September are:

Monday - Imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - savignr (Bob)
Wednesday - 88olds (George)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - Jimb376mfp (Jim)

Today’sTopic: Free Food

Are you tempted by “Free” food?

Not Zero Points but free as in no monatary cost. Like a free muffin or donut from Dunkin Donuts coupon?

Are you tempted to eat more quantities at buffet? It’s not free but no limit on quantity.

Both of these IRL samples faced me recently. Just wonder how GoaDies deal with Free Food?

Replies

• acoustikarl
    acoustikarl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I run into this occasionally at work. I struggle with wanting to get as much as I can cuz the company is paying, but at the same time I try to be sensible to not overdo it. I have had more success with this lately since restarting WW. In the past I would have way over-eaten. I go with the advice from years ago to make islands on my plate, not continents. Another thing I have started doing is taking pics of my plate so I can try to be more accurate in tracking it later.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    "Free" food is my nemesis. I succumbed, again, at work this week during a very stressful afternoon when I had a computer suddenly fail in my lab just a couple hours before class. Like the "free" food was going to fix the problem. I know better but I still give in.

I'm actually turned off by buffets because of cross-contamination and the sometimes unhygienic practices of people partaking in them.

I have no issues bypassing the samples when I go to Costco. But put "free" food in the breakroom and it's game over for me.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,000 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Zero points not so much a problem b/c I track kcals through MFP also. Free foods through coupons I never fool with so that's not a problem. However free desserts at social functions are a big problem. Thankfully there's not many of them a year but they can derail me for a good week.

On to Buffets and that a whole new issue for me. Been fighting buffets and all you can eat joints and establishments all my life. It's still an issue. We have those places down south and I can't go without doing damage. Something in my brain says go for it and I dive in. It's frankly the one thing that gets me. I not only go overboard with portions but I'll go back for more!. What am I thinking when I do that. In our town we're getting a nw Golden Corral all you can eat buffet. In a way I'm dreading it but on the other hand their pretty expensive so maybe that will deter me and DW from frequenting the place.

I'll have to put my armor of strength and will power on and just say no. Well see so stay tuned.

SW 400.8
    CW 340.0😀
    Next GW 300.0
    Final GW 185.0

60.8 lbs Total Loss

• misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,270 Member
    Options
    Yes. Free food is something I have to truly focus not to take some. Usually. Sometimes it is unappetizing to me; so, that is easy.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,482 Member
    Options
    No.

I rarely go near a buffet. Buffets have 2 ways to make a profit, poor quality or over priced.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    Dunkin Donuts is my go to for coffee ONLY! But they gave me a Free muffin. Looked to see 26 SPs!!! I cut in half but realized it had lots of brown sugar on top. Tried to remove some, it wasn’t that good doI threw away other half. Made me realize I MTBC.

• minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Since I'm following WW, I have to differentiate the free foods in their point system from what's defined here. I have little to no draw toward free food in this context. Obviously I wasn't always this way but now I'm very aware of everything I eat. I'm a big believer in cumulative effects and that there's no free lunch, so to speak. If it's going to add weight / make me fat, it's not free. I may still choose to eat it, but I don't kid myself about the price.