Getting off medication? Type 2 diabetes.

Options
sparky00721
sparky00721 Posts: 113 Member
edited September 2018 in Social Groups
Under what circumstances would it be appropriate to expect medical support for a decrease of medication, or even complete eventual withdrawal, in circumstances where improved lifestyle changes (better diet choices, finally exercising, etc) result in lowered A1C and fasting glucose numbers?

Do medical professionals tend to look to a particular range, or a particular period of time of good control before they may be supportive of reducing or eliminating say metformin or jardiance on a trial basis?

I am nowhere near there myself, but am keen on having some sort of target or similar to look forward to. Thanks for any thoughts.

Replies

• sparky00721
    Options
    Thanks 2t9nty, very helpful information which gives me some hope and motivation. Congratulations on your success in dealing with diabetes.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    Thanks 2t9nty, very helpful information which gives me some hope and motivation. Congratulations on your success in dealing with diabetes.

You are welcome. I probably should have said it has been 2 years since the diagnosis. All those A1C's were six months apart, so it did not happen right away. I could tell from the trend on the meter that I was heading in the right direction, and that gave me a lot of encouragement.
  • sparky00721
    Options
    I saw my doctor yesterday to touch base after my most recent A1C reading (6.6, down from 9.0 three months ago). He suggested continuing my medication regime of Jardiance (25 mg once per day plus 2000 mg metformin (2 x 500 mg twice a day), but spontaneously said he would like to start reducing my medication in another three months time if I can get my A1C down a little lower, which is promising.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    I saw my doctor yesterday to touch base after my most recent A1C reading (6.6, down from 9.0 three months ago). He suggested continuing my medication regime of Jardiance (25 mg once per day plus 2000 mg metformin (2 x 500 mg twice a day), but spontaneously said he would like to start reducing my medication in another three months time if I can get my A1C down a little lower, which is promising.

So now you have some idea of his targets.

My meter gives a predicted A1C if you have had 21 readings in the previous week. Mine has had good predictions. You might be able to track the predicted A1C between the blood draws for the lab.
  • sparky00721
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »

So now you have some idea of his targets.

My meter gives a predicted A1C if you have had 21 readings in the previous week. Mine has had good predictions. You might be able to track the predicted A1C between the blood draws for the lab.

Thanks for all the continuing advice, much appreciated.

I do not test my blood on my own and have not yet purchased a meter for at-home testing. I had thought about doing so if my latest 3 month results had been still very high. Having read a number of posts here and information elsewhere, I see the advantage of being able to check to see what effects certain foods may have on my blood sugar, but for now, I am going to just wait out my next 3 month reading.

I have been really impressed with how effective low carb eating has been for a number of you. I do not presently think I could stick with a low carb lifestyle on an ongoing basis. I have worked out a diet approach which so far has been effective in resulting in weight loss but which occasionally results in 200g+ per day of carbs.

My present plan is to continue with this approach and hopefully continue to lose weight and to see if I can drive the numbers down enough to get off medication just with weight loss and exercise, without having to reduce my carbs. That is, rightly or wrongly I am more concerned from a diabetes perspective about dropping my excess weight now than my carb intake; based on attempts over the years with Atkins, etc, I worry that I would fall off a low carb diet approach and stall my weight loss.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering this myself. My next appointment is exactly a year from diagnosis. For the first six months I was an ideal patient, lost ~25 pounds, got my numbers to reasonable (low 6, as I recall). Then over the summer I went off the rails and was back up to about 8 and regained all.the weight. In November, I tried Ozempic to disastrous results. Well, not a complete disaster, hardly eating anything for two months means that my blood glucose numbers are looking great, like in the 80s or 90s. Even now that I am eating a bit more, fasting and postparandrial are excellent.

If my A1C is good (not guaranteed, as I have only had these stellar readings for about a month), are they likely to take me off Metformin with such a mixed record?
  • 2t9nty
    edited January 2019
    Options
    tsazani wrote: »
    Normally it's up to you. If your numbers and weight are good tell your doc you want to get off metformin. You'll then go for a few months without it and then see what happens with your HbA1c.

This was my experience. After I told the doctor I wanted to get off metformin, he said "We will monitor the A1C and talk about that when it comes down." After he left, the nurse said, "Just so you know - no one ever goes off diabetes meds. They add new ones. It is a progressive disease." I said, "OK."

When I got the A1C down, the doctor initially cut the metformin dose in half. My next A1C was still good, and he took me off it.

I will have my one-year-off metformin appointment next week.
  • djg4312
    djg4312 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed 6 years ago and put on Metformin 500mg/day. I am now 71 years old and my A1c has steadily risen from 6.2 after starting Metformin to 7.6 now, despite gradually increasing Metformin to now 2,000 mg/day. I have heart valve disease and can walk 20-25 min/day, but that's about it. I have recently started a diet based on ADA guidelines, but no improvement in daily monitor reading yet. My question is, how long should it take for diet change to result in lower readings? Any other suggestions also much appreciated.