Becoming aware, educating myself, planning to start Keto

Options
DMW1965
DMW1965 Posts: 1 Member
I'm in the "educating myself" stage right now. I learned about Keto from my daughter. She has 2 young children and working towards a Keto lifestyle and together we will encourage and teach the other. She is far more educated on this than I am, but we both need to understand it more for the success we read about. I think my biggest challenge is knowing my food portions/ratio in the fats, protein and low carbs. I've done the HCG diet so I am well aware of the carb and sugar no-no's. I just need to know what my macro is to know I'm on the right track so as to not overeat in either portion. (Forgive me as I don't know keto talk.) Anyway, I've joined the group to learn and the eventual encourage of others.

Replies

• annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Myself and 3 other family members are doing Keto and follow the ratio 70% fat, 20% protein, and 10% carb. So whatever you set your calories at in MFP and set those percentages, you should do well. As long as we keep them in check we stay in ketosis and lose pretty steadily.
  • FarmerCarla
    FarmerCarla Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    The original post is months old, but this may still be helpful for someone just starting.
    Here's a calculator: ketokarma.com/keto-calculator/
    I upgraded to the premium level so I can put in grams vs percentages.
    I bought the "Simply KETO" book and started yesterday! The leader of my singing group started a similar low carb diet plan and has lost 50 lb. in the last year, so I have to give it a try.
  • bustercrabby
    bustercrabby Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    DMW1965 wrote: »
    I'm in the "educating myself" stage right now. I learned about Keto from my daughter. She has 2 young children and working towards a Keto lifestyle and together we will encourage and teach the other. She is far more educated on this than I am, but we both need to understand it more for the success we read about. I think my biggest challenge is knowing my food portions/ratio in the fats, protein and low carbs. I've done the HCG diet so I am well aware of the carb and sugar no-no's. I just need to know what my macro is to know I'm on the right track so as to not overeat in either portion. (Forgive me as I don't know keto talk.) Anyway, I've joined the group to learn and the eventual encourage of others.

That you have someone to do this with will really help. When people around you see how well you are doing, it kind of rubs off on them. Your approach to this is good because the keto WOE is a drastic dietary change. You will be flipping the food pyramid upside down. This WOE is also naturally low in sugar. I went from consuming ~100g per day to ~10 without even trying!

My suggestion would be to start with a benchmark by entering your foods into MFP before you start keto. That way you can first see how bad your diet is now compared to the 70/20/10 ratio suggested by annwyatt69. Also, I wouldn't look at this a way to lose weight. Your body will begin to normalize and weight loss will follow naturally.

I am not a doctor, nor do I pretend to be.